Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

Love my 1800 just the way I have her......

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

redeyes88 wrote:
Love my 1800 just the way I have her......

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I honestly do not understand the requests for a six speed transmission with the 1800.
It has torque and power to spare in any gear. Does not matter if you are riding one up, two up, or two up and pulling a trailer, the bike really does not know the difference.

The Harley that added the sixth gear did it to resolve the around town power lag that was around 45 to 50 mph . It is now geared so high, fifth and sixth gears are seldom used around town and before you hit sixth gear you need to be at 65 mph or you will lug the engine.

The 1800 has no such power lag, put it in third gear in the twisties two up and ride all day, leave it in fourth gear in the secondary town roads at 45 mph and ride it all day.

Nope , do not understand that one.

Kit

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
I honestly do not understand the requests for a six speed transmission with the 1800.
It has torque and power to spare in any gear. Does not matter if you are riding one up, two up, or two up and pulling a trailer, the bike really does not know the difference.

The Harley that added the sixth gear did it to resolve the around town power lag that was around 45 to 50 mph . It is now geared so high, fifth and sixth gears are seldom used around town and before you hit sixth gear you need to be at 65 mph or you will lug the engine.

The 1800 has no such power lag, put it in third gear in the twisties two up and ride all day, leave it in fourth gear in the secondary town roads at 45 mph and ride it all day.

Nope , do not understand that one.

Kit
Kit....I Agree...

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
imported post

The Goldwing is the best luxury touring motorcycle in the world (all models). IMHO, the 1800 is the best of the best, although I'd ride any of them. One guy wants less parts, one wants an extra gear, one wants better gas mileage, one wants less power, one wants more, there is no exactly perfect bike for every person, big and small, short and tall, but nothing comes closer than an 1800 in the luxury touring market, plus it doubles quite well as a sport bike - (well enough for me). Honda if you do read this, Wow, what a bike. But, I really doubt they feel the need for our input, they already know what they are building.

I think Kit has got it right in his assessment of the 1800, it just doesn't get any better.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
imported post

Some of this may be redundant:
1) Highway pegs such as ones Kit brought to our attention.
2) Ability to interface audio system with cell phones.
3) Smoother, quieter tranny.
4) Six speed tranny (5 sp w'OD)

I can't imagine the bike getting just a whole lot better. It's power and agility for the size is awesome.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
I think we already have the perfect bike. The 1800 is a tough act to follow. Power, instant response, great balance , big so you can be visible, very comfortable to most and many aftermarket items for those who need something a bit different.

I think I am in the majority when I say I ride a bike for fun. It is a toy. I really do not have to have it for a commuter. I ride it for the enjoyment it provides.

So I want power, I want instant response, not really concerned about how much fuel it burns. If I want a commuter bike to save gas I will buy a 600 cc sport bike or something. Or one of the older Honda Fours that got really good gas mileage.

The 1800 has a few things to improve upon, but they are getting them done, a bit each year. I really do not see it changing a whole lot, it is the bike by which all others are judged, just really a great bike.

Thing is if you did build a small four cylinder and have other bikes available with motors like the S and S 111 twin. I for one would purchase one of those, I want power and performance for my toy. So if you kill the 1800 as now designed , your sales will die too.

Yea I know I am very spoiled with this bike, but I have had a bunch of them, and have never had one like this one.

One good thing is they last a long, long time, so I have no worries, if I wear mine out, I am sure there is one sitting in a garage, with 600 miles on it somewhere, if they were to change to a smaller bike, but I do not see that happening. They have the perfect bike and they already know that.

Kit

kit, i couldnt agree more. you hit the gold wing right on all levels. you and i gotta stick together! theyre trying to wimp the wing! NEVER WIMP THE WING!...rick

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

Here's one no one has mentioned yet: Ducati ST2.

Like a Honda ST only faster, smaller, and easier to drive. Comes with side bags and a rear rack and topbag are available from both Givi and Ventura. How does 60mpg grab you? With 144 mph top end....

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

dude man, do me a favor, go and take a ride on an 1800. you will take back everything you just said about goldwings being slow and a pig. trust me. kit, you with me on this?...i know ya are!..........rick

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

pete, you me and kit are going to have to stick together here, with all this talk about whimping the wing. like you said, utopia, they would have to take all the parts from all those bikes to get one bike for all their needs. and hell just one 1800 goldwing would come close enuff to answering all there cryteria! the 1800 is the flagship of the honda motor company, and it just keeps getting better every year. the power, the smooth ride, the quick response of the throtle, the packing area, plenty for a two up ride for a week, (the wife and i have done it), the 6 pac cd player, xm/serius/ radio, and not to mention all the add ons and doo dads, and lights, hell i could go on and on!!! dudes; you cant change PERFECTION!................:18blue::bowing::angel2:...RICK

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
imported post

cldryder wrote:
a few adds:

make the seat height lower. It's much too high on the GL1500. YOu add substantially to your potential user population by accommodating vertically challenged people.

you could also put a decent seat on the bike. It's ridiculous to have to spend the better part of a thousand dollars on an aftermarket seat for a bike that already costs close to $20k and is designed to be ridden all day. (does Honda get a kickback from the seat manufacturers for using crap OEM seats?)
You have an older GL1500, Honda lowered the seat height in 1995. I have not heard of complaints on the GL1800. If you like the GL1500 perhaps getting a 1995-2000 model will do the trick. If your short maybe a pair of FMP's will help!:dude:

·
Old School Guru
7,886 Posts
imported post

Well, I'll add my 2 cents, I've ridden the 1800, nice bike for sure, but is not as comfortable as my 1500. It has small bags, and doing standard maintence is harder than the 1500 (except for the rear tire) due to the tupperware. They want way too much for any options, and to get one equipted like my 1500 even without the Navi/ABS/Airbag, just a plain premium sound one with my stuff that the new ones don't come with would run well over $23 grand. (I know, I just priced one out last weekend). I can get the RSV with standard CB/audio/accessory plugs/very comfortable seat, running boards, bigger trunk, 2 tone paint, the adbility to actually see the engine, and a longer standard warrenty (5 vs 3) and only have to give up reverse gearand 2 cylinders for about 3 grand less than a plain jane 1800. I'm seriously considering the RSV. I know it is not as technically advanced as the wing, but they are good bikes, and are a lot more roomy than the wing.:)

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Well about the Yamaha Venture, the RSV. Coyote" has one, do not want to hurt his feelings, but I had one too.

If you wish to compare the RSV to the Wing, well good luck. It actually is no comparison. The RSV does have some good points, but it is an old antiquated machine with no modern advancements and has on 80 percent of the bikes a clutch basket scream that has over 1000 pages of talk about it on the Yamaha sites and the final solution is to just wear ear plugs.

The brakes on that bike well how do I say it nicely? They are single wheel brakes and the rear brake is so touchy the rear wheel will lock and put you into a slide in a heartbeat. I researched and planned and talked to mechanics and this and that and finally put a speedway flow valve inline to the rear brake. The did slow down the transfer of fluid to the caliper, but the end result was always the same, just gave you a bit of time to think, and to tell yourself, look stupid you need to pump the rear brake, and not hold it down and lock it.

The front brakes are very spongy, lots of front end dive .

The warranty is only as good as the dealers, and from what I found, it is just about like all of them, some good some bad.

Lighting, very poor, has only one tiny tail light, comes with no running lights, and the charging system on the bike is so antiquated, just the addition of good running lights can stress the system, let alone loading it down with things like we do the wings.

You will drop this one and damage it, it is top heavy and you will sooner or later tip it over and it will not come to rest on the crash bars like the wing, it will come on over and tear up things.

Good things:

Looks nice has classic styling
comes with CB
has a comfortable seat(best out there)
reliable, for the most part, if you can stand the clutch basket whine

Wanna know all about the RSV........go to www.venturerider.org. They like us are biased toward their bike, but on occasion you will see them get into the discussions about the clutch basket, the rear drive and all the metal shavings that never stop grinding off the rear drive.

Nope does not compare to the Wing, not even close.

Respectfully

Kit

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
imported post

edpare wrote:
Here's one no one has mentioned yet: Ducati ST2.

Like a Honda ST only faster, smaller, and easier to drive. Comes with side bags and a rear rack and topbag are available from both Givi and Ventura. How does 60mpg grab you? With 144 mph top end....
Will that rear seat hold the mechanic to go with you on those long tours?:action:

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i removed my radio and i have no problem with my 1980gl 1100 it has more than enough power for anything i need why do you need a 1500 or even an 1800 cc motor to cruise down the road i have rode the 1800cc new model and it is cumbersum and HEAVY

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
imported post

Great idea but those jackasses that make em are only concerned with the buck if people whine about fuel cost we'll be ridin stinkin scooters with little waterpowered engines lol

Just look at the crap GMC has put out since the 70's everything has become cheap import crap, and that which has'nt is heavily influenced by some tree huggin idiots that would'nt now HP from a hole in the ground, it's sad to see certain hardcore racers because of there sponsors claiming to be green, makes one wanna puke, everyone's getting too Eurocentric, yuppish, and soft over here, now we got legal Gay marriage, that useta be tabboo, CEO's are some of the biggest crook's in town and our President who is just a Man (gotta remind some of my Brother's out there) cause I'm a Black American not African American, our Pres. is giving more of our money to GMC what a slap in the face!

So, hope all you want, we'll be lucky to see any bikes bigger than the 1800 and a few others in the future, I hope you Enguneer types stop sellin out over some BS issues like global warming...what da Hell is that all about?....lol

America won't be right till the Military rules everything in my book!

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
imported post

Hey Peterbuilt are you close ta Iowa80 love that truck stop, hey OCC has a new contest!

Would love to make my bike a trike, seen some ugly ones in the wing category except the one's only yppies can afford, why is that? I remeber bikes being thing's folks got creative with, not having to worry if some Japanese company would void the warranty, if i ever can or if there is a extreme builder out there who can do it like OCC I'd let em make my bike into a homage to my fav rig the KW 900L ext hood!

but still keep that bike flava, we need another Jesse James at least to start choppin some Hondas up! lol:cooldj:

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
imported post

Nice write up C-Man, I wish my credit or at least my income were better, I'd love to either put a new engine on my 81 which has given me a bit of prob's or at least get a 1500, how's the weather in OK, I miss the days I spent in Ft Sill, almost moved ta Webb City near OK's NE end, drove for a great Truckin outfit outta Joplin, TSMT, never shoulda left it. Just wish I had been an owner Oper back then.

I Pray that I can have at least one more very good machine or at least get mine there and have God willing, I know it's not at the top of His list but 10-15 years of riding with Patriot Guard, and Christian Motorcyclist, so far it's been mostly just me, not that I don't have friend's but most Cat's I really enjoy hanging with are my Vet bud's n well most live in the burbs, and since my wife went throgh cancer treatment, and has diabeties, She just dos'nt enjoy riding like when younger, not to mention I wear glasses too now!

Anyway, hope to see Oklahoma again someday!

Rick:cool:

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
imported post

I would buy a new Wing if...

it had 0.1bhp per cc (2000cc would be nice)
it had more luggage space (4 full face helmets, minimum)
it had an awesome sound system (4.1 surround)
it had a HUD
it had LED lights (instead of ye olde incandescent bulbs)

21 - 40 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.