Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
imported post

Well, here's my two cents/pence worth...like anyone wants it? :dude:

I admit- I thought the GL1800 was basically catering to the "Harley" crowd...bigger is better. I don't own one, but I finally did get to ride one for a few days. I'm a convert. I never have ridden the GL1500, but I've ridden the rest, and there is absolutely NO comparison, between the GL1000's and the GL1100 I have/do own, and the 1800.

The most critical item is suspension. Modern day suspension is worlds ahead of what it was, in the 70's and 80's. You can, without even fussing with the "settings", run an 1800 right to the pegs, scrape the little pegs off, and it is stable as a rock and oh-so predictable. Even my 1998 ST1100 doesn't track that well.

That may not matter to some. If you always ride in a straight line, and your tires burn flat in the middle, you've no reason to care. If you like going around corners at an angle, it's huge.

I do agree though...if they produced a "stripped down" model, that sold for say 15 or 16 thousand (stop cringing, and gnashing your teeth, you Irish, UK, and Euro friends!) they could certainly sell a lot more of them.

It DOES seem a little too much like "everything including the kitchen sink" to me, but...I'm sure they are responding to what MOST customers say they want, in a long-haul tourer. Two up, it simply can't be beat. No contest.

I think the stereo/communications system is fabulous (hey, it actually works!) but it has to add at least $1000 (maybe two) to the price...good sound systems are not a cheap thing. I think the "airbag" option is just stupid, but....perhaps that's just me?

I don't know if they read this thread, but I'd actually be quite surprised if someone at Honda (at least the American Marketing guys, who have some clout) doesn't. I've actually found Honda to be incredibly responsive to the ideas people have, and to any problems that crop up (even including the aluminum frame issue). They desperately WANT to be the leader, and intend to remain so.

I've never owned ANY bike that wasn't a Honda. I've had friends who've owned everything...Triumphs, Suzuki's, Yamaha's, Ducati's, BMW's....and every one of them has admitted to me that "if you want reliable, stick with Honda"...well, maybe not the Beemer guys...they wouldn't be caught DEAD on anything else! :cooldevil: :waving:

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
imported post

LloydM wrote:
I would buy a new wing if ....

It had a 900 flat four and weighed less. :)
How about a 900cc V-Four that weighs in, with fairing and panniers, at say 600 lbs (about what the GL1000 was, but with say 50 more horsepower?)

I have a VF750S (the engine design Honda race-proved, in the late 70's) and...dang! Those V-Engines (with 16 valves) will spin up some serious R's in a hurry! Can you spell "faced-down, and handcuffed"?

They could call it the "Rocket Wing"...go ahead you Honda guys...I don't have a trademark on it...:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
6,620 Posts
imported post

Motorcycle Pete wrote:
I think the "airbag" option is just stupid, but....perhaps that's just me?
Doesn't the airbag sit behind the rider?? :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
6,620 Posts
imported post

Motorcycle Pete wrote:
LloydM wrote:
I would buy a new wing if ....

It had a 900flat fourand weighed less.:)
How about a 900cc V-Four that weighs in, with fairing and panniers, at say 600 lbs (about what the GL1000 was, but with say 50 more horsepower?)

I have a VF750S (the engine design Honda race-proved, in the late 70's) and...dang! Those V-Engines (with 16 valves) will spin up some serious R's in a hurry! Can you spell "faced-down, and handcuffed"?

They could call it the "Rocket Wing"...go ahead you Honda guys...I don't have a trademark on it...:cheeky1:

Now we are talking Motorcycle Pete :clapper:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
imported post

To Motorcycle Pete"

"I never have ridden the GL1500, but I've ridden the rest, and there is absolutely NO comparison, between the GL1000's and the GL1100 I have/do own, and the 1800."

your point is well taken. I have several vintage bikes and after riding one of my newer ones the vintage bikes feel like the frames cracked, the forks and shocks are dry, and the brake pads are made of wood. this is inevitable given 30 some years of engineering development.

However, I still think the OEM's have lost their way on touring bike design. They're so concerned about weight on sport bikes they drill out the center of the bolts yet a typical touring bike weights over 800 pounds. The ENGINE on a GL1800 probably weighs more than 1/2 of the total weight of a sport bike.

I'm going to check out Honda's new VFR next spring but, assuming it lacks the space for 2 up relative to my GL (just like my FJR) I am probably going to take an old GL1100, upgrade the suspension and brakes, and add quality luggage and electronics.

when I'm done I'll have a touring bike that weighs around 625 pounds that fun to ride and I'll have less than $10k in it. maybe I'll send Honda some pics when I'm done.

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

I'd buy a new if I could afford to lose $5,000 dollars in a day.

·
Administrator
20,585 Posts
imported post

:madeyes::madeyes:

·
Administrator
20,585 Posts
imported post

If I had the money??

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

:?:?:?:?:?:?:?

I'm just as confused as you Flyone.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

I have a 2008 Goldwing... The ONLY complaints are:

1) Turn Signal Auto-Off: the Auto OFF of the turn signal is too short. I always have to hit the turn signal 2x. Either eliminate the auto-off or make it's time/distance/lean adjustable.

2)GPS: a) The NAVI won't turn on if you are moving. I know this is a safety feature, but we do have buttons on the handlebar to control the navi... Why not allow a simple push to turn the map on? I really rely on the GPS map to see beyond thecurve in the twisties. b)GPS upgrades, why does it cost 200.00 to get a new Honda/Garminmap, when Garmin charges just 119.00 for a lifetime upgradeon an external GPS? c) Display Altitude and coordinates?

3) Communications: a) The radio really should be bluetooth enabled. b)CB? How about a more modern system (FMRS)? c) G3 phone interface?

4) Radio: How about forgetting about the cd (who uses CD's today?). We need a MP3 compatible Radio. Either a USB Flash interface or SD would work. NOTE: The XM Radio went a long way.. But it does me no good. :-((

And of course, how about retrofit kits to enable these features on my 2008 GW?

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

Oh and by the way I have personally seen a Goldwing driven off the road (in a curve) by an individual messing with his NAVI. I asked him what went wrong. He said he was trying to turn on the NAVI. :-(

OK, so he should have read the manual. NOT SMART.

But my point is the NAVI should be able to be turned on thru a simple button push.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

And why does my B-King (492#) have more rider/passenger weight capacity than my Goldwing (410#)? That's just not right.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

The perfect bike for you would not suit me and visa versa. No manufacturer can produce the perfect bike. The only way around it is to build one for yourself. I watch Orange County Choppers and Biker Build off they produce some fantastic bikes and not all are choppers. My current bike is a 2009 Goldwing GL 1800. Had it for 6 months and I love it. But, I only use it for pleasure as I am semi retired. Good luck with your search!

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

jwschull wrote:
Oh and by the way I have personally seen a Goldwing driven off the road (in a curve) by an individual messing with his NAVI. I asked him what went wrong. He said he was trying to turn on the NAVI. :-(

OK, so he should have read the manual. NOT SMART.

But my point is the NAVI should be able to be turned on thru a simple button push.
I love life, I like people, most of them, and I love to ride and have many miles. But I am most likely the most safety aware rider you have ever met.

Messing with buttons and gadgets on a motorcycle is just asking for death and hurt.

Something as simple as catching your pants leg on a highway peg is bad enough, let alone going down the road playing with buttons.

Pull off the road, then play with buttons.

Just my two cents, but those two cents are worth a million bucks.

Kit

61 - 77 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.