Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
powered by a 93 cubic inch, turbocharged twin.

:shock::shock::shock::shock:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Nice ice track racer!!!

·
Just one of the guys
4,833 Posts
It looks pretty mean.

How would you ride it without that chain chewing your left leg off? It looks pretty hazardous to me.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
It looks pretty mean.

How would you ride it without that chain chewing your left leg off? It looks pretty hazardous to me.
I am always amazed at the bikes that have an open primary like that and often wonder the same thing as you.:?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
powered by a 93 cubic inch, turbocharged twin.
Stupid design... why use a turbo charger to gain high-end power, while simultaneously down-gearing the rear end (via that Huge sprocket) so that it can never do anything but Low speed, while doing a Wheelie all the while (eg Same sprocket typically used only by stunt riders on sport bikes)?!

Not to mention, the location of the air filter is such that it would become entirely Impacted with snow-debris during any sort of winter riding.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I am always amazed at the bikes that have an open primary like that and often wonder the same thing as you.:?
Yep, me too! I can never understand people who'll put their leg next to an open unguarded belt. I saw the results of a man who got his arm caught in a drive belt on a piece of machinery. There wasn't anyway they could have saved his arm since it wasn't in one piece and was almost unrecognizable as an arm. I doubt any boot would do much good for a foot yanked between belt and pulley at high revs.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Stupid design... why use a turbo charger to gain high-end power, while simultaneously down-gearing the rear end (via that Huge sprocket) so that it can never do anything but Low speed, while doing a Wheelie all the while (eg Same sprocket typically used only by stunt riders on sport bikes)?!

Not to mention, the location of the air filter is such that it would become entirely Impacted with snow-debris during any sort of winter riding.
I can't argue about the air filter location but the turbo is there to keep the engine power up. A turbo has some lag time so keeping the revs up eliminates that lag. You need power and torque to accelerate, a higher geared set up wouldn't do much for that. Racing on a short closed course means a most of the power is needed for exiting a turn and accelerating on the short straight stretch. For that you need lower gear ratios especially for an engine that develops its power at high revs.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
I can't argue about the air filter location but the turbo is there to keep the engine power up. A turbo has some lag time so keeping the revs up eliminates that lag. You need power and torque to accelerate, a higher geared set up wouldn't do much for that. Racing on a short closed course means a most of the power is needed for exiting a turn and accelerating on the short straight stretch. For that you need lower gear ratios especially for an engine that develops its power at high revs.
Most Ice Racers run almost wide open, it was great fun to go to the races in Butte Montana when I was in High School. I always thought the guys were nuts but it was still fun to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0zsmXx9QYc

·
Son of Bronson
127 Posts
I suspect that the bike was just built to look at, not ride.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Not to mention the lack of fenders. I've watched ice racing, both bikes and cars in Anchorage years ago and tell you without a fender they throw ice like a hydro throws a roostertail. Be sides with that exposed belt on the left side it could be pretty nasty when the bike goes down on a turn.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
1/4 mile ice racer. Straight line racing.:waving:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.