Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

About a week ago I received the new Icon Accelerant Waterproof boots I ordered. They are priced decently at $125. So far I am impressed. I've been wearing them all day long dailyand they are quite comfortable. They seem to be well constructed too. Fortunately I haven't tested them for their waterproof qualities yet. It's been quite sunny and warm here in the PNW. :action: They are pretty decent looking too, and with pant legs over them it's difficult to distinguish them from black tennis shoes in looks.

The only thing I'm unsure about is the latch. It works pretty well and if it lasts itwill be great, it just takes a little getting used to. The latch itself is held on by screws and the strap will come out completely, so it should be repairable if it breaks, if the Mfg offers parts. Hopefully it will last and I won't have to find out.:) The strap is very adjustable to.

John

http://www.rideicon.com/product_details.jsp?category=1978&id=7886

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Nice, my wife is wanting a new pair of riding boots. I think she would like those.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Dang, they only list them for men. Don't they think women want dry feet too?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

They look quite nice, John. I like the lug soles. Hope they work out well for you.

I prefer higher top boots, myself. I have recently ordered a pair of Tourmaster Solution Waterproof Road Boots for a very good price($99.44 on sale) and they should be in at my US shipping address today(Wednesday June 3)I don't know how well the sole will work out as they aren't lugged, but we'll see. :baffled:

I'll report back on them, once I've put them through their paces. :action:

Cheers, Ken

·
12,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
Dang, they only list them for men. Don't they think women want dry feet too?
That's crazy. I hadn't noticed that. They will probably come out with women's sizes later. Not sure why they wouldn't right away. For now, as a general rule of thumb, to convert men's size to women's size, subtract two sizes from the women's size to buy a men's shoe, i.e., the women wears a size 8 normally, she would wear a size 6 in a men's shoe.

John

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

I like the looks of both pairs! Let us know how they do in the rain!

Bernie

·
12,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Dubswing wrote:

Bernie
Will do, but I'm not hoping for any rain anytime soon. :action:

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

I have an older model of these boots (the alpine at the top). The buckle has remained secure and in place. I did not find them to be waterproof. During a multi-day ride, I was rained on heavily and the boots were soaked. I tried to dry them out during the night. The next morning I had to line my boots with shopping bags.

Earlier this riding season I purchased a pair of Vega Touring Boots.

I found them to be perfect for the cold season, but I believe that they are too heavy for summer wear. Perfect for 80.00.

Attachments

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Dubswing wrote:

Bernie
Not much chance of rain here in the valley, but theyprobably willget quite a test in a few weeks time and I'll report back then on the boots and how they have stood up. :cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
67,281 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
Dubswing wrote:

Bernie
I Washington would'nt "rain anytime soon" mean, like the day after tomorrow ?????

:cheeky1: :cheeky1: :cheeky1:

·
12,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Foodman wrote:
Jluvs2dive wrote:
Dubswing wrote:

Bernie
I Washington would'nt "rain anytime soon" mean, like the day after tomorrow ?????

:cheeky1: :cheeky1: :cheeky1:
:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:
Actually the current forcast says "few showers" on Monday and Tuesday, but if that forecast holds it won't be much of a test on the waterproof qualities of the boots. :)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
...I don't know how well the sole will work out as they aren't lugged, but we'll see. :baffled:
Personally I don't like heavily lugged soles on motorcycle boots. They make it difficult to shift your feet forward and back on the pegs and can hang up on the shift lever making it slower to go from upshifting to downshifting and vice versa.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

I have been in a few downpours this year. With the chaps mounted on the engine crash guards my boots didn't even get wet until I stopped. Still, I would like to get a pair of good waterproof boots. I prefer the low heels and soles without lugs too. We are still getting rain at least weekly. Seems like our drought is over. We have needed this rain for several years now and I don't mind riding in it. I wish there whas a store that carried good bike boots locally that you could try on before buying them.

Bernie

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

I have the Tourmasters and they work well in the rain (seems like it’s been raining non stop here for the last two weeks). The problem is you need to be careful when you put your foot down. Because of the smooth (non lugged) soles, the boots tend to slip on wet ground. It can be disconcerting when backing up or stopping and putting your feet down on a wet concrete slope.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

althatjaz wrote:
I have the Tourmasters and they work well in the rain (seems like it’s been raining non stop here for the last two weeks). The problem is you need to be careful when you put your foot down. Because of the smooth (non lugged) soles, the boots tend to slip on wet ground. It can be disconcerting when backing up or stopping and putting your feet down on a wet concrete slope.
.... or on loose gravel at an intersection/stop. That's what I was a bit concerned about and why I like the lug soled boots. There is a lot of weight to hold up(especially when touring, these boots primary purpose)when your foot starts to slide out fromunderneath of you because of slippery road conditions. :hovering:

Well, I'll give them a go and report back. I'm not so concerned about the waterproofness per say, (very little rain here in the Okanagan, but is where/when I go touring)as I am about comfort and 'stability' when I place my foot down on the ground. Although I usually scan the area ahead of me before I place my boot on the ground, sometimes you have to put your foot/boot down in a hurry, without 1st checking to see what will be underfoot! :shock:

Thanks for the 'Heads Up', althatjaz! - Dusty

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:

I prefer higher top boots, myself. I have recently ordered a pair of Tourmaster Solution Waterproof Road Boots
I bought a pair of the Tourmaster Solution boots and I really liked them. The sole
has good gripe on dry ground, didn't get to try them on wet ground. They were
comfortable. However, I sold them because they were just a bit too tight.
It seems to me that the boots are sized a bit wrong for me. I wear a size
10 1/2 shoe with medium width. The boots I bought were size 11's. They were
really hard to get on, but once I got them on they weren't too bad just a little snug.

Well, like I said, I sold the 11's to a friend who wears a size 10ish shoe. He say they
are little loose with thin cotton socks but fits just right with his heavier riding socks.

I have a larger size coming that should work for me. Stay tuned.......

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Ya, I heard that they are a real bit-h to get on/off the 1st few times. I normallytake just under a size 12(11 3/4?)and ordered a 12. It all depends on the shoe last that they make/size them with. Hopefully I won't have to send them back for a larger size.:( Thanks for your input.

I'm just about to leave to go down and pick them up and we'll see how things go. :baffled:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Went down to Oroville and got my new Tourmaster Solution waterproof touring boots and tried them on and they fit no problems. Took 'em for a "3 Hour Tour" ... not to Gilligan's Isle .... but through the Okanagan Highlands, to just putter along the back roadsand get used to the new boots(Still getting used to them). It is a nice 4,000' plateau ranching area with wooded streams, so it's about 10-15* cooler, than the Okanagan Valley bottom-lands.

I'll do a full review(with pics)shortly,when I get the time, but a quick bottom line ... I like 'em ... so far.It was 106* when I went through Tonasket @ 3 pm, not even Peak Heat yet and the boots were comfortable, not hot!:cooler:

Of course, ya just had to figure that my new boots would end up .... DUSTY! ;)

Dusty

Today's Route.

Review posted. - http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=71454&forum_id=4

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

Dusty, Thanks for the write up. Going back to the luggeg soles. I have a pair of boots similar to the jungle boots I wore many years ago but not quite as tall that I wear when I teach MSF courses. They breathe extremely well and, although they have lugged soles the area between the sole and the heel is low and does not cause a problem riding bikes with footpegs. They don't bind or hang up on the pegs like boots with tall heels do. The ICON boots look very similar in that area and I don't think they would pose a problem either. Let us know how they fare in the rain!

Bernie

·
12,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
imported post

Dubswing wrote:
They don't bind or hang up on the pegs like boots with tall heels do. The ICON boots look very similar in that area and I don't think they would pose a problem either.
Yep, no problems with them hanging up on the pegs. They have very shallow curved dip in the middle. If you go to the link I provided in my first post, then click on the back view on the picture, they alsohave a shot of the bottom.

John

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.