Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey all. Trying if find the location of the Idle speed adjustment on a GL1200 CFI, if there is one. Also need to verify that idle speed should be set at 1000 rpm +/- 100?

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
imported post

Take a look at the right CFI cover while rolling the throttle slowly, with the bike off,and you should see the throttle linkage moving. With a flashlight, look trace the linkage to the center rear of the engine and you'll see the idle adjustment screw. Do NOT make the same mistake I did and adjust the screw under the right CFI cover!!!! That's the adjustment screw for balancing the engine left sideto right. There is no adjustment front to rear like the carb'd models.

1000rpm + 50 is correct.. If ya need me, give me a shout on my cell as I'm fixing to head south and I'll see ya next week!!:coollep:

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Don, see you soon.

Have a safe trip! High temp today is forecast to be 85! and their predicting 82 on Christmas Day! Hope you brought lots of sunblock!!!

Ted

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Sure Wingsam! The more the merrier!

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
imported post

Hello Scoopy,

When I found the idle screw on my LTD after adjusting the wrong one for years...I dabbed some white paint on the head of the screw.
It makes it so much easier to find in the dark.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Great idea! Thanks and Merry Christmas!

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Downhomr wrote:
Hello Scoopy,

When I found the idle screw on my LTD after adjusting the wrong one for years...I dabbed some white paint on the head of the screw.
not Trying to start a war here but why are you ajusting the idle or feel the need to ajust the idle on a 1200 FI should you not be able to set it and forget it? I would thing that would be one of the advantages of FI

wilf

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

wilf wrote:
Downhomr wrote:
Hello Scoopy,

not Trying to start a war here but why are you ajusting the idle or feel the need to ajust the idle on a 1200 FI should you not be able to set it and forget it? I would thing that would be one of the advantages of FI

wilf
Scooby needed adjusting as his was adjusted high either by the PO or the butcher's that worked on his bike. Likely they adjusted his idle way high to produce more stator output to mask his electrical draw. Additionally I have noticed seasonally my SEI's idle has crept higher or lower or even after maintenance has been performed. Typically this adjustment is very minimal. In theory set it and forget it works but with older bikes many things gradually wear ie vacuum lines, seals. Alsoelectronic component values change slightly etc. resulting in the need for an occasional tweak.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

So the ECM dosent control idle speed.
Wilf

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

wilf wrote:
So the ECM dosent control idle speed.
Wilf
I didn't say that. I believe it (idle speed) is mainly controlled from the ECM via the air valve the ECM also controls ignition and injector timing and receives feedback from various engine sensors including the throttle position sensor. The T.P. sensors initial position voltage is set with a feeler guage while looking for a specific voltage. The issue is that most of us are not original owners and you can be about 100 percent certain that someone in the history of the bike has turned that adjusting screw changing the hard stop of the throttle plate...

P.S. just remembered that throttle plate syncing recommended interval is every 8000 miles and it is mentioned in the supplement under maintenance that syncing will usually affect idle and to adjust using this screw...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.