·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello Y'all

'76 Gl1000

When I stand it straight up it idles smoothly

but when I lean it over against the kickstand it rapidly slows and almost dies.

If I lift it back up, it will slowly regain it's Idle speed again

Is this normal?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

No, it's not normal. The first thing that comes to mind would be maladjusted carb floats.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

You might have a float level set too high. when you lean it over, it floods. thats my guess.

Does it seem to run rich?

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

The pre-previous owner was rumored to have rebuilt the carbs. I just purchased the bike a month ago, so I'm gonna havta dive in to see what's going on.
I haven't ridden it yet, it was 4degrees the day I picked it up, with ice on the roads.
You have to stumble it up through the RPM's, goosing it as you go to reach higher revs. Once it gets to the higher RPMs it will run fine there until you let it idle again for a minute. But this is all before she warms up so I'm really not worried about that.
I will dis-embowel her in the next couple weeks and see if I can find anything outa the ordinary according to Randackk.

She smokes a little on the left bank when cold, probably some new valve seals will cure that, I don't really notice a rich condition.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

It smokes on the left exhaust because the engine design is flat & when you put the bike on the side stand the engine oil gets past the rings & enters the combustion chamber. It is totally normal as long as it clears up within a few minutes of running.

Throw a bunch of sea foam in your fuel tank to scrub out your carbs. This might help. You can also try tapping your float bowls with a screw driver handle just in case a float is sticking. Than take it for a good run and let it clean out. You might get away lucky!!!

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

smell the oil and exhaust, if they smell of gasoline, then its a leaking float needle. A binding throttle cable can do that also. the 1200s bind on the left side frame if they are removed and kinked in the process (just for example)

Realize that when leaned over, the handlebars (which hold the cables) move.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.