Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

on 1500 the idle in first gear is 800rpm . when you go into neatral or higher gear the idle goes to 1500.
What's up, never experienced this on my 1100s.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
imported post

Is your clutch dragging a little? Is it easy to change from 1st gear while sitting still? (or easy to find neutral)

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Shifting doesn't seem to be the problem. I have had the 1500 for 3 weeks and didn't notice problem at first.
Thought it may have something to do with the gear position sensor.
Is there electronics for a low and high idle on the bike?

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi brant welcome to the forum inside the gas cap door you will see the idle ajuster in neutral turn it anti clockwise to lower the revs to 800rpm then see what it does in first gear

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

when you get on first gear and the RPMS drop. will the bike be trying to move forward even with the clutch lever fully pressed?, i smeel like it is not completely disengaging causing it to drag. probably need to bleed it to make it get more pressure on the system.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Tried the clutch many times, doesn't seem to be dragging, does not want to pull me forward.
If it were dragging it would be in all the gears.
I have a manual but not sure where to start the diagnostics.
Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Tried the idle adjust under the gas door. Adjusting this raises the idle proportionally. As the idle in 1st gets higher the idle in neutral and higher gears also gets higher.
If I lower the revs in neutral to 800rpm when i drop it into 1st the revs drop to 250 -300 and it stalls at lights.

The idle normally go down to 800 rpm when you pull in the clutch in any any gear on all my bikes or is this problem peculiar to the 1500.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

That's a new one on me. A dragging clutch shouldn't change the idle in neutral and if it were dragging it would have to change the speed the same in all gears with the clutch pulled in. It might be some kind of weird electrical glitch. I'd try tying the clutch back so that with the engine running I could see if workig the clutch switches with a small prick punch or some such would make any difference. It shouldn't but I'd check that just to eliminate it as a possibility.

After that it's going to be an interesting trouble shooting problem. I'm almost certain its electrical, bad ground somewhere, chafing wire loose connector or some such. The gear position switch does affect the ignition timing so that is a possibility.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the state of Pennsylvania!

·
Administrator
26,977 Posts
imported post

I looked at the service manual and timing is affected by all gear positions except first. The idle speed is supposed to increase by 100 RPM in neutral, 3rd 4th and 5th. There is no clutch switch input I could find. As exavid posted, you need to download the service manual and look in the ignition section to find the tests associated with your problem.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I think we are on to something,it is a definite increase in neutral and up. The increase is 400-600 rpm and is the same all the time.

Looks like my base idle in first, is probably set right.
Just have to figure out why its higher than 100 rpm, going into higher gears.
Have downloaded the manual and will go thru the steps.
Sounds like I will be pulling off some panels, checking for electrical connections, vacuum and air leaks.
Keep you informed till I get it in line, not getting a lot of time to work on it.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

found out that the coolant sensor will increase the RPM's by 200 if it senses that the coolant is cold.
Will have to determine if mine is working. If it isn't working properly, would that keep the revs up or not?
Will check it out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.