Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Howdy Ya"ll.. what exactly is a good idle speed for a 84 aspencade 1200? I kinda wanted to get edumucated on it before i started turning screws. also need to adjust the throttle cable, any info would be greatly appreciated, Mike H

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

My 83 GL1100 is supposed to idle at 950 +/- 100.

Throttle adjustment should be 1/4-1/2 in. at the grip. Minor adjustments are made at the adjuster near the grip. Major adjustments should be made at the middle adjuster under the top compartment.

Ithink this applies to your 1200 as well!

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

My'85 1200A owner's manual says something like 950, +/- 50. This seems a bit slow, the bike discharges the battery more. I like 1050 better, it helps keep the voltage up while at idle.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Winger, any chance you can explain the 1/4-1/2 a little better, you mean as in play in the throttle? i have mine drawn up to where there isnt any play wondering if its good to go or to tight,, Thanks

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

A half inch seems a bit loose, I think the 1200 book called for 1/8-1/4"

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Exavid, is that play in the throttle itself. like movement before you really hear the rpms pick up????

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

that is how far you can twist the throttle before all of the slack in the cable is taken up.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

The 1/4-1/2in is what philicsand said. The amount of loose play/twist in the grip beforethe cableactually pulls on the carb linkage. Sorry, I did a poor job of phrasing that.

I got my specs out of the shop manual for my 1100. As exavid said, 1/8-1/4in might be right for the 1200.

Bob

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

hammer wrote:
Exavid, is that play in the throttle itself. like movement before you really hear the rpms pick up????
You can feel the free play in the grip, shouldn't be much more than 1/8-1/4" play measured at the grip. That is plenty to keep from binding the cables but not sloppy feeling. I tend to keep mine close to 1/8" measured at the flare of the grip.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

i understand now. i will have to redo mine. there has always been a lot of play in the throttle itself i assumed you just took all the play out . thanks everybody:)

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
imported post

On the 1200 I had I kept about 1/8" slack and set the idle at approx. 950 rpm. I set it with the main idle skrew, it is easy to get to from the right side if I remember correctly. In the hills I always kept my rpm's no more than 1000 as it helps shut the bike down better in the turns. Much more than that and it seem's you have to use the brakes more and thats at normal riding not white knuckel on the tank riding .....gary

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

hammer wrote:
Howdy Ya"ll.. what exactly is a good idle speed for a 84 aspencade 1200? I kinda wanted to get edumucated on it before i started turning screws. also need to adjust the throttle cable, any info would be greatly appreciated, Mike H
Hammer, the service manual says to set to (1000rpm + or - 100 rpm) on the 1200. I have fond that setting to about 1040 warm will give close to 1080 after an hour or two of running.

The reason to set to 1040-1100 is to allow the charging system to keep up with the cooling fan draw while sitting still with the brake lights on. 900-1000 just isn't enough rpm's to allow charging at idle with brake lights on & cooling fan running.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

thanks everyone, kinda took all the advice and ran with it, sure makes a big difference, lubed everything up, got it adjusted properly . have a good one, Mike h

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.