Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok, so I have had the wing long enough to start assessing beyond what I observed during my test drive. Its an '80 gl1100.

I read the string on the clatter at start, and how that might mean the carbs need to be balanced. I think I could benefit from that as well.

One question I have, that is partially related, is what the proper idle rpm should be. My book says to balance the carbs at around 950, but I think my bike wants to idle best around 1600 (that seems too high to me).

I didnt see anything in the book about proper idle rpm... So here I am with y'all.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

I don't remember what your wing is, but my 83 GL1100 Aspencade is supposed to idle at 950 +/- 100.

Bob

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Hi,

900rpm +/-is about right, the reason that your bike is idling too high is related to the balancing of the carbs.

if they are that far out then your fuel/air mixture is all wrong, you need to get them done before any permanent damage is done to the engine.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

A 1600rpm idle is going to make the bike pretty difficult to control in parking lots and such, leading to a lot of clutch slipping to control speed. It's not too likely to damage the engine per se, but it will eventually wear the clutch and brakes. As Bob and John said, the idle of all Goldwings is set around 900rpm. You are right, you need to balance and adjust your carbs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.