Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi, I am back again. After reading the postings about idle surge and realizing they were written from 2006 to 2008 I thought it beneficial to post the question again. I was hoping adjusting the idle knob in the gas cap area (as was suggested in those postings) would do the trick as it did for so many of the other members in the forum, but although it seems to have helped a little it still surges up and down now and then. Also it seems this same problem is responsible for the periodic hesitation when first pulling out. The general consensus was that if you work the idle knob back and forth it would remedy the problem. I think maybe the reason that didn't work completely for me is that my idle adjustment knob is very hard to turn and it didn't get any easier no mattel how many times I worked it back and forth. It still feels like I am going to twist the cable into. Does anyone have any suggestions that might help me solve this dilemma?

Thanks,

Gary:bowing:

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi gary the trottle ajuster is not the only problem for surging it can be carb related but as you have a prob with the ajuster you have to start there its possible the cable is snaged some were or bent best to remove the air filter and see what the prob with it is maby just a little wd40 needed also has the carbs been synced lately its connected trough the linkage with the ajuster maybe thats your hesatition

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

I did slove my hesitation with a half pint of SeaFoam in the gas tank. Perhaps it is as easy as that for you.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

gary777 wrote:
The general consensus was that if you work the idle knob back and forth it would remedy the problem. I think maybe the reason that didn't work completely for me is that my idle adjustment knob is very hard to turn and it didn't get any easier no mattel how many times I worked it back and forth. It still feels like I am going to twist the cable into. Does anyone have any suggestions that might help me solve this dilemma?

Thanks,

Gary:bowing:
Pull the idle adjustment screw up, out of the rubber 'holder' and give it a couple of shots down the cable opening with a good penetrating-lubricating spray and let sit 1st, before pulling the top shelter off of it.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks Spiderbob, but I have already tried the Seafoam. I ran almost a pint can through about 3 tanks of gas. It seems to be a little better and by that I mean it doesn't rev quite as high as it first did, but it is still going up and down from about 700 to 1000rpms. I even started using 93 octane gas, but to no avail. Thanks for you response.

Gary

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
imported post

If the turning of the idle set screw dosent do it then I would guess you have a vacuum leak someplace.

I have to do the idle screw thing about once every 3 or 4 months. It always works great for me.

Twisting the throttle while you turn the idle screw helps make it easier to turn.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Yeah, the vacuum leak thing is kind of what I was afraid of. I am still hoping it isn't that. I looked that up on another sight online and there was a guy that took me through the process step by step and had pictures to follow the entire process. It look like a lot of work just to get to the vacuum lines.

You saytwist the throtle while turning the idle adjuster so my question is: is that done while the engine is running or off.

Gary

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks Dusty,

I did pull the idle adjuster up out of the holder, but I couldn't see anywhere to put a lubricant. Now that you say that, I will check again. Hope it works.

Gary

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I like using Bike-Aid for lubing those types of cables.
It is a penetrating oil with graphite left behind after it dries.
Any liquid bicycle cable lubricant with graphite will do.

Oh... for the surge, get the carbs balanced and see what it does after that.

Lag at acceleration is going to need a 4 degree trigger wheel in most cases.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
imported post

First I'd like to acknowledge that serious Ass on Rudy's Avatar. I have an 82 1100 and my carbs were so unbalanced I can't believe they didn't fall the bike. Whenever I tried to add throttle it just sit there and growl like you were taking his bone away. I dropped $100 on the motion flow balancer and I could probably do a wheel stand. I'll bet balancing will rectify most of if not all of your problem.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
imported post

gary777 wrote:

You saytwist the throtle while turning the idle adjuster so my question is: is that done while the engine is running or off.

Gary
Hey Gary,

No, with the engine off. Just turn the throttle about half an inch then try turning the idle screw.
The more you turn the screw to the left then to the right, the easier it gets.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Hey Peter and all who might read this,

I have another question. I took the seat off, the radio consol off, the air filter holder top off and the air filter. The filter wasn't new by any means, but I don't think it was dirty enough to have been the problem.

Here's the question: Would the bottom of the air filter holder being loose on the carbs cause the surge I have been asking about? After taking the filter out I found every screw in that holder was so loose that while turning the screws to tighten them I had to make so many turns on the screwdriver I was starting to think the threadswere stripped and then when I was about to stop turning I could feel them tightening. There were 8 screws altogether and they were all extremely loose. Also is there something else in this area I should check before re-assembling? I don't want to replace the filter and put all of that back together until I am sure that is all that needs to be (or can be) done in that area to alleviate the problem. (or not, lol):doh:

Thanks all.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi gary as some one has allready made a mess of it i would remove the filter caseing as there is vaccume pipes attached underneat just to make sure all is ok you can then check the trottle ajuster also

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

as some one has allready made a mess of it i would remove the filter caseing as there is vaccume pipes attached underneat just to make sure all is ok you can then check the trottle ajuster also

Hi Peter,

I am surprized that you suggested that because right after posting this last inquiry I went back to the garage and took all 8 screws back out of the casing bottom to do exactly that, but after making sure they were all loose again I could only pull the bottom up about an inch at most. I don't what was holding it down, but I was afraid to keep on pulling on it for fear of tearing a hose or vacuum line or something. Do you have any idea what could have been interfering with the removal?

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

there is two screws gold in colour holding in the rear breather pipejust loosen these and the filter will tip forward you will then see under neat and there is two small vacuum hoses and finely top right hand corner underneat again is a 1/2in springhose clamp this should just pull off but a little tricky to get back on

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
imported post

I put a FULL can of Seafoam, ran it a little, then let it sit and soak all night, next day, it ran like a brand new motorcycle, even had extra power.
If this doesn't work, the you have no choice in removing the carbs.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

While you're into it that deep, you might as well order/replace the Cruise Element/Air Sub filter elements.

Frankly I have no idea what a Cruise Element or a Sub filter element looks like, much less where to look for them.It seemsI am going to have to invest in a shop manual. All I have is a Owner's manual and it doesn't tell me where they are. Thanks for your input.

Gary

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

there is two screws gold in colour holding in the rear breather pipejust loosen these and the filter will tip forward you will then see under neat and there is two small vacuum hoses and finely top right hand corner underneat again is a 1/2in springhose clamp this should just pull off but a little tricky to get back on

Thanks, I knew there was something under there holding that darn thing down. I guess I just didn't have a big enough opening or not enough light. I will have to try again tomorrow.

Gary

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

I put a FULL can of Seafoam, ran it a little, then let it sit and soak all night, next day, it ran like a brand new motorcycle, even had extra power.
If this doesn't work, the you have no choice in removing the carbs.

Thanks, but I use a full can of Seafoam in about 2.5 to 3 tanks of gas. I used it at the ratio of 1oz. per gallon (as per instructions) and I have also used 93 octane gas and like I said before, it seemed to smooth out some, but not completely.

Have a good day.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.