Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi in the am hours it is cold in sedona. so i set the choke at full bore go have some coffee and when i come out the temp is up to normal. but being a curious cat i smell
the oil and it reeks of gasoline and also when i take off the right muffler backfires
for about a 300 yds or so. question should i leave the choke on for so long or choke it and go?

':?' /forums/images/emoticons/confused.gif[

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

Wow! That is a lot of running on full choke. I bet the engine really get's loaded up. I am not surprised it backfires some. I think the general feeling is after a minute or so of running at full choke,drop down to about half way and go. Then after a mile or so take it off completely.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yep, it's very likely you're diluting your oil with gasoline from the over rich running. Definitely carboning up the plugs and valves. Leaving the bike running like that to warm up is not a good thing. Starting up, running a minute or two while easing off the choke a bit at a time to keep the rpms down and then riding off are the best way to go. The engine will warm up best while being used. You should keep the rpms down until the engine is warmed up a bit because the oil circulation isn't as good when cold oil is being pumped around and the various metal parts need to come to operating temperature to achieve the proper clearances.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.