Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey folks,

I'm pretty sure one or both of the timing belt idler pulleys is squealing around 1700-2000 rpm after the bike warms up. The squeal is not there aboveor below 1700-2000. I am going to change the timing belts, but I was wondering how long those pulleys will go like that. Also, Im not good at building mechanical things so I would just as soon buy the pulleys. Where can they be ordered from?

Thanks,

Dave:?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts

·
Registered
10,509 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

For some reason I missed your rebuild on the tensioners Sandiegobrass, great write up and pictures. When I get a chance I'll build up a set.

For those who want to buy new, the complete tensioner is available from Motogrid for $71 ea.

http://www.motogrid.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/default.aspx

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

I got mine from CycleMax for $67.00. Someone also indicated that the tensioners can be rebuilt for not much money. Do a search in the tech forum for the rebuild procedure.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
For some reason I missed your rebuild on the tensioners Sandiegobrass, great write up and pictures. When I get a chance I'll build up a set....
Thanks.. I think I posted that when you were doing all you moving.... and that write up is enough to figure it out.. But, I will have more to add later..

but to the subject of the thread.... you have only three choices (1) buy the OEM new for about $63 each (service honda or honda direct) (2) buy used ones for about $15 each with unknown life or (3) rebuild you own (like my instructions) for about $20-$30 each..

Like I said in the writeup, $63 is not unreasonable.. and it is going to last another 20 years.. (what is that.. $3 per year??) so in most cases, I'd say go for the new OEM.. Used ones, I'd skip entirely... too risky.. and for the tinkering type, rebuild'em.... not only is it fun, you will profit from your labor and have a quality unit that will probably out live the bike....

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
imported post

Hey Buford, is the noise an actual squeal as in high pitch, cause I got a noise up front when mine is cold and I go for take off and it sounds like thieres one roller left in the bearing housing. After warming up, it seems fine. Could it be a tensioner or god forbid, something that should'nt be mentioned inside the engine.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

when you pull it apart see if they are firm and smooth...they are usually bulletproof unless mousture got into them....prob find good used ones anywhere for cheap
dont run the belt too tight or it will squeal or chirp....i did my 91 belts and had to loosen em up a little from chirping... worked good!....run em up good before you put the covers on...saves hassle...mabe mark the pulleys with a marker too and try to keep them in the same spot

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

jrward wrote:
Hey Buford, is the noise an actual squeal as in high pitch, cause I got a noise up front when mine is cold and I go for take off and it sounds like thieres one roller left in the bearing housing. After warming up, it seems fine. Could it be a tensioner or god forbid, something that should'nt be mentioned inside the engine.
The squeal happens when the engine warms up and I run it to about 2000 rpm. I took the timing covers off, and the tensioners are pushed up hard against the belts. They will not move at all, at least when I try to push them with my hand. I thought the spring was supposed to keep the tension on them. Think I may have found my squealing problem, but I am still changing the belts.

Dave

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

It is possible that the belts are too tight... but my experience is that tight belts will eventually develop the clearance they need by wearing in (but this is not the proper way).. The tensioners will still be very difficult to slip on the belt when properly tensioned; you can do it when cold but as the bike heats and expands, they get tighter.. And note that the belt tension is not dynamically held by the spring. The spring is there only to set the initial tension, then the bolts are tightened to fix them in location... the spring does nothing after the bolts are tightened.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.