Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

my 77 gl1000 just got her back running, and it idles high, then goes low, then high again, If I touch the throttle linkage it dies down to about were it should be, Let go and it comes back up, I have to push down on the front carb linkage, 1 & 2, to get it to do it

plus theres a clunk in the engine every now and then at idle, seams to make the noise when it misses alittle,

I haven't sync the carbs yet,

I did turn the idle screw in to open the butterflys, and set them all the same with feeler gauges

I have plenty of free play in the throttle cables

I just rebuilt the carbs, everything moves nice and smooth

and the choke cables operating properly

Any Ideas or will syncing the carbs do it.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It's hard to say for sure, but I'd suspect the carbs are out of sync. The finger pressure on the linkage is suggesting that one or more carbs aren't closing all the way. I give 2:1 odds syncing with pretty well take care of it.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Did you remove the plugs and pilot screws when you re-built the carbs?? Not sure if there are any, but the pilot screws must be set prior to balancing the carbs.. Exavid is correct about the throttle plates not closing on one or more of the carbs..

Did you also remove the throttle plates when you rebuilt the carbs? This is a NO NO because they are set in a jig at the factory for centering and should never be disturbed..

Keep is up on this.. I'm curious.. :)

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Gearhead76 wrote:
my 77 gl1000 just got her back running, and it idles high, then goes low, then high again, If I touch the throttle linkage it dies down to about were it should be, Let go and it comes back up, I have to push down on the front carb linkage, 1 & 2, to get it to do it

plus theres a clunk in the engine every now and then at idle, seams to make the noise when it misses alittle,

I haven't sync the carbs yet,

I did turn the idle screw in to open the butterflys, and set them all the same with feeler gauges

I have plenty of free play in the throttle cables

I just rebuilt the carbs, everything moves nice and smooth

and the choke cables operating properly

Any Ideas or will syncing the carbs do it.
Gearhead76, on your erratic idle problem?-- That sure sounds like you have a sticking throttle system like sticky throttle cables, or a hand grip that is sticking, or carb linkage that is sticky. Your stating that "If I touch the throttle linkage it dies down to about were it should " kind of bears that out.. Try lubricating throttle cables, free up & lubricate the R/H twist grip, makes sure the carb linkage isn't binding or hanging on anything. Maybe you even have old fuel residue on the carb throttle shafts thatis causing a hanging problem. Also, if you have a throttle lock, make sure that isn't in the set position. If all is free in the throttle cables & linkage then do a real carb sync & see if it straightens out.
plus theres a clunk in the engine every now and then at idle, seams to make the noise when it misses a little,
That is probably just engine inner chains or trans gears clunking as the engine misfires. Those early Wings have the potential to make some very strange clunking noises when they misfires as the misfire impulse allows a quick slow down then speed up of the crankshaft. Get the engine running smoothly then see if the noise goes away.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Yep, balance them and it should idle fine. As others have said, check the cables, twist grip, and linkage. Make sure you don't have any sharp bends in the throttle cables. The clunking is pretty much normal for this bike, good ignition timing and points properly set should make it go away. After all that's done - just ride the hell out of the bike. They run better if ridden often.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

All linkages move good, no binding, I degreased the engine ran the bike for about 10 min, it wasn't idling that bad then it clunked out, I think it flooded out, All four plugs are black, but no gas in the cylinder this time( before I rebuilt the carbs the right side cylinders were full of gas after running) but not this time, There is gas in the air box though, A small amount on the bottom when you look down the air cleaner,

I set thefloats and 21mm from lip of the carb, or am I supose to do it were the gasket sits, I tried that but the floats bottom out on the carb at 21mm. So I went off the lip on the side of were the gasket sits, kind of hard to see from pic in manual.

It has the dyna electric ignition on it, I set it with a test light like the manual said, so that should be right,

It was smoking a lot, but it seemed to clear up after running for a couple of minutes, I figured that it was gas in the pipe from last time when the cylinders flooded out,

and one more question, Which way do you turn the idle screw to lean it, It's out right:gunhead:

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Well I cleaned up the plugs and ran her again, ajusted the carb a bit by ear, it's not perfect but she runs better, it idles by herself,

I got a mercury sycronizer from a buddy, so I'll play with that tomorrow

I'll let you know

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Gearhead76 wrote:
I set thefloats and 21mm from lip of the carb, or am I supose to do it were the gasket sits, I tried that but the floats bottom out on the carb at 21mm. So I went off the lip on the side of were the gasket sits, kind of hard to see from pic in manual.

and one more question, Which way do you turn the idle screw to lean it, It's out right:gunhead:
Yep, 21mm from the ridge or lip - you did it right.

If you're talking about the pilot screw, by looking at a cross-section of the carbs in the Honda manual, it looks like when you turn it out, it lets more fuel go toward the pilot outlet port (it's the little port sticking up downstream of the throttle plate). If you turn it in, it lets more fuel enter through the three little holes below the throttle plate. Not sure which would make it run leaner or richer. Mine are set at around 2-1/4 turns and it seems to run well there. You might need to experiment.

It looks like you're on the right track.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Well I synced them out, she runs alot better, nice smooth trottle, and winds up fast,

But of course now my battery is dead because the alt ain't charging, bad wires I'll have to sodder the wires together. my connectors I put on Don't seem to let the voltage through unless I hold them just right, so i'll take them off and sodder the wires. and then I can see what else I have to do.

Ah the joy of old bikes that have sat for a few years.:gunhead:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.