Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I developed a problem this year in which the wing will not idle without 3/4 choke. Bike runs out fine once I get above 2000 rpm and I can take the choke off without any hesitation or surging.

After reviewing the forum posts, I took the carbs off far enough to replace the burnt vacuum hose under the left carb (it looked just like the pictures from previous posts) and I then bypassed the fuel shut off since it was leaking. I put the carbs back on and put it back together far enough for it to run. Thought I would see some dramatic improvement - runs the same as before.

I sprayed some ether around the base of the carbs looking for more vacuum leaks and the rpms seemed to raise a little when spraying around the right carb. Spraying ether in the left carb the idle decreases like it is loading. Spray in the right car and the idle inceases. Thinking that there may be something else under the right carb, I decided to take the carbs off the bike.

Didn't find anything that appeared to be wrong. (By the way - can the rubber dust cover that was under the carbs and over the intakes become part of the weight reduction program - can I just remove it - seems to be in the way of looking at anything).

I am now thinking about cleaning the carbs, but just don't have the time. I will be gone all of next week and would like to ride the following weekend. Thinking about taking the carb assemebly to the stealership and saying "here you go" and let them clean them while I am gone. One concern that I have isthat I donot have the "special" tool toadjust the carbs. Minehave amostlyround endwith a small flat sideon it (thought about cutting a small groove in it touse a regular screwdriver but would be mush easier out of the bike). How much adjustment are they going to need after cleaning?

Is there something else that I am missing that I should be looking for other than cleaning the carbs? I have spent several hours on here looking through previous posts, but I have not found anything that really points to something specific. Thought I would post on here for the well informed to enlighten me with.

Ithought it was a fuel problem (bad/old) but eliminated thatby draining and filling with fresh. Also replaced the fuel and air filters. Plugs were replaced as well. Have run some Seafoam through and also filled up with AV gas, no change in idling.Other than idling I dont seemto have any problems.

Bike is a 95 SE with 54,000 miles.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Scott

I edited my post after reading as I had not put enough detail on the running problem - sorry.

·
Administrator
26,148 Posts
imported post

Open the drain screws on the float bowls and drain them, might have a little water in them. Then get a can of Seafoam and put in a tank of gas and ride it out, see if any difference. AV gas or anything other than regular unleaded is not going to help anything, If the AV gas is still leaded it can foul the plugs pretty quickly. The ether may be showing you the carbs need synched. It's vapors will go up into the air intake so it will make it idle differently no matter where you spray it. Too volatile to use to check for vacuum leaks.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

There is nothing in the carbs now. They are sitting on my bench. Figure I might as well pull them apart and see what is in the bowls and clean the jets.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Carbs apart and suprisingly clean. There was some "gunk" in the low speed jet, cleaned and going to try and get it all back together tomorrow.

Is there anything else that I should do while I am in here. This is not a project that I would like to do anytime soon again. :praying:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,651 Posts
imported post

Bravo for tackling your carbs.

If the low speed jets are looking clean now, I would put it back together. Then continue to run Sea Foam through a couple of tanks of gas. Just to make sure to clean out any tiny residue of shellac that may be left in the low speed jets.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

UPDATE!!!!

I had to go out of town all of last week and just got back to the rebuild. Had to get new orings and gaskets as mine were pretty crappy. Put everything back together and the accelerator pump tube started leaking and no "squirt". Took the top plate off and replaced the orings on the tube as well, put everything back together and all is GREAT.

One thing that I found as a short cut that I did not find on this forum is a very easy way to reconnect the blasted hose in the front right bottom corner that everyone (and rightfully so) complains about. Since I had my lower farings off, I removed the right radiator fan and low and behold you can reach in and actually get a hand (okay a couple fingers) on itand push it on. Took less than ten minutes to remove fan, connect tube, clamp tube, and reinstall the fan. Thougtht I would share thiswith others as ittook more time to get fan in and out than getting the tube on.

Going riding tomorrow and will put her through the paces. Going to run a couple tanks withSeafoam just to clean out any leftovers, but think I am good. No hesitation,best idle I have ever had, off choke within seconds. Hope the maidentrip goes well.

Thanks again to all the help on this forum. It is great.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,651 Posts
imported post

Great news, that gives me the incentive to go ahead and pull my carbs off. That blasted little hose has fallen completely off of the right bottom corner. Makes a gawd awful noise under certain throttle conditions.

All I need is an a/c unit blowing down my neck so that I can get the job done.

The ST1100 is sitting right there next to the 1500, so I won't be left a foot. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.