Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

If I get a helmet that is headset ready but doesn't come with one, what do I need to know so I get the right type of headset?

BTW- 1998 GL1500se

Also I do listen to music if that makes a difference and would like a touch of bass/trebble if possible.

I also need to try on helmets for proper fit. So buying over the net is not a option for me.

Thank You,

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Check out J&M motorcycle audio

Can call and talk to a real person that will help you along

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

No one knows your audio needs more than J&M. Fact is, I'd buy my headset and then look for a helmet I could put it in. The sound quality from your factory Honda audio is pretty lame. I played in rock bands when I was young, so I like good audio. Some have put amps in thier trunks to kick up the tunes a bit. I have bought 4 sets over the years, and the only problems I ever had was breaking the tiny little pins in the cords. jimsjinx

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

J&M does have best headsets IMO, but you need know what kind of helmet you are going to get before you purchase the right headset. A modular or full face helmet takes a different headset than does a Open face as the microphones are different sizes...

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

So other than helmet type, what else so I need to know?

Are there some that are just basic sound telephone quality and others that are more music quality ? Assumes music quality input to headset.

Other than price, how do I tell the difference between one that is telephone quality and one that is music quality?

Price I should expect for the two types on a 3/4 face helmet?

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

a good place to buy is sierra that already has the headset installed is sierra,a problem with helmets can be what seems to fit in the showroom,does not always work six hours down the road.bought a hjc is-33 after trying one at the dealer in large,i have ended up buying two sets of inner pads before i got it to fit correctly,it is now a 2xl helmet

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

I just got two J&M headsets along with a new set of color matching helmets. The J&M work great. Music is loud and I can still hear enough going on around me that I don't have to worry that much. I usually have my music fairly low though. You should decide on a helmet based on what feels good for you and what you like, then get a headset and install it. Most helmets come ready to have headsets in them unless you get the super cheap ones from Wal-mart.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

Oh, and when your looking at helmets, look at where your ears are going to be positioned and see if there's plenty of space between your ear and the helmet. If there is, then you can easily install a headset.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.