Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From time to time when I start out the transmission feels like it is in 2nd gear. Engine labors to get truck moving. Truck has 154K miles. Transmission fluid been changed 10,000 miles ago, give or take. Soon after this slow start up the check engine light comes on. After a few miles it starts to shift normally again. Check engine light goes off soon after that. Right now it is working fine. Something else it does is f transmission dip stick keeps rising up in holder. I have to push it back down every time I lift hood. It has basically been doing this since I got it 12K miles ago. Hoping someone here has insight on this situation. Electrical issue, or inside transmission? .
Thanks
gumbyred

·
Registered
748 Posts
Go to your local auto parts store and have them read out any OBD codes, best place to start.

It's possible the engine is faltering rather than transmission starting out in 2nd, That would also explain the engine light coming on when this happens.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am going to have the best mechanic I know here run the code check. Made sure the transmission is full of fluid. I added about 4 ounces. Thanks for the reply
gumbyred

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,268 Posts
I am going to have the best mechanic I know here run the code check. Made sure the transmission is full of fluid. I added about 4 ounces. Thanks for the reply
gumbyred
Probably you already know, but just wondering?

Was the engine idling, and the transmission fluid warm when you checked it?

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
When this happen to my 2001 dodge ram with a diesel, it was a couple of solenoids in the transmission. It was indeed starting out in 2 gear. Cost was about $400 a few years ago. Good luck..

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To check transmission fluid I do it with engine warmed up, idling, on level ground. It has not acted up since adding the slight bit of transmission fluid. (knock on wood)
gumbyred

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Gumbyred, did you ever figure out what was wrong with the dakota?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts