Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK. GL1200 interstate California model.

The bike has been stored. I did hear it running and it sounded OK - no knocks or anything. The engine has been out and the stator replaced. Timing belts replaced. I am trying to get it going and have cleaned out the carbs, am getting a spark at the plug, everything turns over compression seems ok but it is just not firing - not even a sniff. I have put a bit of petrol in each cylinder, used Easystart, have got each float chamber full, heated the plugs but - nothing. Not even a cough.

Arethere any cut off switches/immobilisers or sensors that would stop it running,or anything that I am missing? Does everything have to be connected up for it to start?Could I have inadverdently mixed up the plug leads or something equally daft? The kill switch is ON!:?:?:?:?:?:?

Please help!!!!!!

Thanks WingCo

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
imported post

as a quick check, ifI remember corectly right side coil goes to the front two cylinders, left coil to the rear two

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

If you have spark then you have two things left, air & fuel. We will assume that its getting air so whats left is fuel. I don't know if you checked the timing or adjusted valves but I would do that before I messed around further with the carbs. If the timing is off it affects starting.

Heating the plugs is not a good idea. You may have to back track a bit on what you've done. It sounds to me like you've flooded it. Put a new set of plugs in & hold throttle grip wide open & crank (choke closed). Do this in short bursts ( to protect the starter & make sure you have a fully charged battery ).

You say you cleaned out the carbs but that's most likely where your problem is. These bikes don't like to sit with fuel in the carbs for a long time. Gums everything up. Drain or syphon out all the gas from the tank, replace fuel filter & fill the tank, again drain the carbs. You can then try starting it as if it is flooded ( throttle wide open/choke off )go slowly so you don't ruin the starter. You can try some Sea Foam in the tank as well.

If you still can't get it started then you are going to have to dwell further into the carbs. My two cents for what its worth.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

There is probably NOT much wrong with it. If you have correct fuel/air mixture, spark, AND compression it should start. If the fuel/air mixture is too rich (flooded), it can't burn the mixture. Without spark the air/fuel won't be ignited (won't fire). Compression is necessary to draw air/fuel into firing chamber and expel burnt gases.

My guess would be that the mixture is too rich or too lean. Check plugs to see if they are wet or dry. That will tell if it is flooded or starved.

I have said all this to agree with cycleman. I would suspect the carbs. I am not familiar with items like FI, computer controls, and exciters. (I seem to remember someone mentioning something about exciters on a 1200).

If I have made erroneous statements please someone correct me. I don't want to remain uninformed or spread misinformation!

Terry

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
imported post

If you have spark and have tried starting fluid (I'm assuming that's what you are calling Easystart)and it doesn't even cough I would be looking at the timing belt installation. The timing may be way off. Or the coils are hooked up to the wrong cylinders. Clogged carbs or not it should at least try to start with the starting fluid.

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

Stand back go have a beer or 2 then come back to the basics

As you have done a few things that would really mess things up

# 1

TRIPLE check all timing marks as you did the belts you may be off a notch or two

Hand rotate the engine and listen for any contact or other off sounds

# 3

compression check on all cylinders

spark at all plugs

check fuel pump pressure out

# 6

fresh gas

If all are correct it should start

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
imported post

I would also check the engine shut off switch, this may have malfunctioned and maybe stuck on. When i cleaned my carbs i nearly re assembled them without making sure that all the jets were clear, glad i did as on or two were blocked. other than whats been mentioned this is beyond my knowledge! Good luck!

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
imported post

Sounds simple but, is the fuel petcock in the 'On' position?
If the engine was out, it would be an easy thing to overlook.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks guys. I'll get back in the shed just as soon as young family commitments allow!!

I will check the timing first and then make sure everything is connected up properly. Yes the jets were cleaned out and I've by-passed the tank, fuel pump etc to try to eliminate those.

If the kill switch is malfunctioning - would there still be a spark?

Thanks again and I will up date at a later date.

Wingco

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.