Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am not trying to be an add or perpetrate undue influence on this board but I do want to give a big heads up to those of you in Southern California that love riding wings like I do but are not overly mechanically inclined (especially when it comes to electrical). I had a little shop in Santa Ana, Ca. recommended to me by a fellow teacher/rider when I first purchased my wing (a 85 ltd edition). I have been riding bikes on and offsince I was a kid (I'm now 60)but this is my firstwing and my first bigbike. Therefore, I took it to a professional to have her checked out from front to rear when I got her. I ran her for a couple ofmonths and joined the forum here while searchingfor Markland style lights for my trunk and rear end. AlthoughI did not find the lights I found many friends here and received some valuable info about other problems I encountered. I had a drain on thebattery (or so I thought) and then thewhole electrical system went dead. I took the bike in (on a trailer as she would not run) and dropped her off at this little shop in Santa Ana. He pulled a bird's nest (about five pounds of wire) out of the electrical system. He also advised me that my new battery was not holding a charge. Allof the electrical shutdown was related to an aftermarket security system for the bike. (Any of you that are familiar with the 1200 ltd are aware of the extensive wire (just check the wiring diagram in the owners manual, a fourfold by four fold3' by 3' foldout that is covered over every square inch) and you would be frightened unless you really like electrical.:? I am just telling you to let you know Mike really knows his business. It still took him about 6 hours of work to dismantle the beast and remove all the excess wire (it was tied into just about everything concievable). Though he spent six hours on it,he charged for five hours of work and ten dollars of parts which was (to me) a respectable $435 US. I went out to research the shop and found that they had started as a 'shade tree' shop working on bikes in the evening after they finished their day jobs. Because of their reliable work and their pride in offering reasonable prices, they became so popular that they went full time. Since then they have become one of the best known trike conversion shops in the businss. Though they work on other bikes, they are best known for their work on wings. I have personally found them to be open, honest, reliable, and reasonable. If you don't like to, don't have the time, or don't have the knowledge to work on your wing but you want it to run like a wing should, see the man at JBJ cycles in Santa Ana Ca. From me, he gets a big thumbs up.:waving:v_man_1

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

So, what do you really think of the guy? :) Nice write up. I will keep them in mind. :action:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Nothing at all wrong giving kudos to a good shop, that information is valuable to folks in the area. All to often we hear the woes caused by the other kind of shop.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

It IS a nice write-up for the guy, and he probably deserves it.

We have such a guy in our area as well, and he is a member of this forum, and his name is glgreezmonkey. He has a small shop where he works on mostly Wings, and is known about for miles around as being an honest, knowledgeable man who will get your wing repaired-and correctly. He will take no shortcuts. Although I do all of my own wrenching, I visit him often and he has always been helpful and willing to share his knowledge. Thanks Jim.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.