Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello Everyone

Les From Colorado, USA,here. I'm glad I found you.

I hope I can input in the future, but being as I am a musician (http://www.LesTension.com) my mechanical knowledge is so-so.

I do have a question now though, so thanks in advance for any help.

I have a 1976 GL1000, and riding to the market today the motor started running on 1/2 power. This happened all at once, no "s-p-u-t-t-e-rring" Turned around and drove home for a diagnosis. Took out the plugs and upon shorting to the head while cranking the motor over, discovered that only the rear cylinder spark plugswere firing(3&4).

So my limited knowledge indicated the coil for cylinders 1&2 is faulty. For confirmation of this I started to dig in to get at the coils. They make it sound so easy in the manual! What a pain in the butt! And to add insult to injury, I have a vetter- type fairing that I had to remove.

So far so good. I got the mounting bolts loose, but my primary wires (the little ones, not the spark plug leads) do NOT have a harness plug and jack but are all connected individually to each other.

SOOOOOOOOOO...... Before I go into surgery, my question is this:

Is there any other reason to cause only 2 cylinders to fire other than a faulty ignition coil?

Whew!! Got that off my chest. But I just put $500.00 (US) into it for other goodies last week and I wanna RIDE!!

Thanks again in advance,

Les

PS: Feel free to e-mail me. [email protected]

PPS. OOOPS! I forgot to mention that I had a shop install electronic ignition. NO breaker points and condncers for this guy!

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Welcome to our new forum. If you have electronic ignition then the module could be faulty, but usuall the whole 4 cylinders stop. You can easily check the coil by swappint theLT wires from one coil to the other, then if the other two cylinders fail to spaerk you will know the coil is indeed faulty.

Jason

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

Don't worry about the connector clocks not being there, more than likely they got corroded and some previous owner replaced them. Jason is right about just swapping the coil wires to check them.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

LesTension wrote:
Thanks. but which are the LT Wires?
The wires going into the coils (not the HT leads) are called Low Tension (LT) leads. They are the ones that you found had no connector plug on.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

i have the same trouble with my 78 1000 but mine is on the back two cyclinders 3 and 4 and i changed both the coil pack and now i have really weak spark on those two so what did you find out

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

I think where we need to start is checking the gap in the points.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.