Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I got this bike back in may and I've been slowly working on it in hopes of bringing it back to life. I traded a guy a guitar and amp for it. I had about $75 wrapped up into those. So, I think I got a good deal. I had to get a starter and ignition switch in order to try and start it. At that point the carbs spewed gas every where and gas in the oil. Changed the oil and spent a good while cleaning the carbs and supporting Randaak. New plugs installed, Timing belts, replaced exhaust with 1-3/4 pipe to harley take offs. Figured out how to set the valves after not getting it the first few times it finally made sense.

Finally start it up and not running well at all but has life! Backfiring into the carb on #3. Spray some carb cleaner at it and there was a vacuum leak at the choke shaft. Take carbs off for the millionth time and got to clean out #3 again. The air jet was clogged with debris from the back firing. Removed the choke butterfly and shaft as well as the felt deal. Bought some felt to recreate the felt washer/ gasket/whatever... A lot easier in theory. Grabbed my o-ring master kit and found one that fit perfectly( replaced on #1 while I had it all apart).

Fired up again and still not running well. Sprayed carb cleaner everywhere and no effect. Vacuum synched the carbs and still not running great but will now stay running.

It's getting air, and fuel, must be time for spark! In remembrance I took the old coils off and kinda guessed at how the plug wires hooked back up to the coils... I've read around the internet 2 basically different descriptions, one coil for each side 1-3 and 2-4 as well as 1-2 and 3-4. Can anyone confirm or deny or post a diagram? I would really like to ride this thing a little bit before the snow is deeper than the bike is tall. Thanks for reading this rambling!

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Well, that is definitely not how it's hooked up right now. I'll get that set up and hopefully it'll be a lot happier, thanks a bunch!

·
Administrator
26,143 Posts
imported post

A leak at the choke shaft will have no effect on running since it is upstream of the throttle plate. Hopefully getting it wired right will do the trick.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.