Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this problem ever since I first took apart the radio console in order to work on the air filter and install the rear speakers. The ignition cover wasn't laying flat again when I put everything back together. I double checked the cables to make sure none of them were lying underneath the radio, pushing it up and causing the problem. Another minor thing is that the two black wing inserts underneath the handlebars also aren't fitting back in the way they did previously. I'm not sure if the two things are related.

When I had the console off yet again during some other work I was doing, I once again, double, triple and quadruple checked to make sure all the cables, hoses, etc are going where they're supposed to. The radio cables are sitting in the slot designed for them and they're coming out the back straight and not bending underneath the radio. The rubber cover is fully flat and not bunching up or doing anything funny. Everything is back exactly the way it was when I took it apart, but the damn cover still refuses to sit flat like it's supposed to. Something is still causing it to rest skewed. I'm VERY open to suggestions at this point. I know it's not a massively big deal, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist and it's something that's staring at me all the time I'm riding the bike. See pictures included.

God bless,

~Mark

·
Premium Member
1991 GL1500 Interstate Cinnamon Beige
505 Posts
My guess is that you have a "grommet" problem, , , ,

That panel that has the 50th anniversary emblem on it is the Ignition panel. That panel has three "tabs" at the dashboard end that mate to slots/tabs on the dash. Yours looks like it is fitted perfectly.

That panel ALSO has two "bosses" (studs) at the end closest to the centershelter(radio side). Those bosses "seat" into rubber grommets that are on "fingers" of the centershelter that extend forward to mate with the bosses. Those rubber grommets get dry, , and over time, the bosses can get "gunked" up so that when you FIRST removed that panel, the rubber grommets raised out of the hole a bit.

I suggest that you gently remove the ignition cover, examine both of those grommets for problems, and make sure they move slightly so they flex as the bosses are inserted. Apply a "smidge" of grease on the ID of the grommet and lightly touch the round portion of each boss.

If you have any concern that either, or both of the "tray/wings" are part of the problem, remove them before you put the ignition panel back on, , the wings will go on with the ignition panel off, or on, , no difference.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Did you have the side panels off?if so you might have not got the side panels positioned correctly where it bolts to the crossover piece and the panel,

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't have the side panels off, just the radio console. When I originally pulled it off the second time, I actually pulled out a grommet and it got lost, so I had to order two new ones. They're SUPER tight fitting. I'll try and find some grease to use on them and the two tabs.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Yep, ,makes sense now.

What was the part # of the grommets that you got?, , I would bet they are "thicker" than the ones that originally were there, thus they make the panel sit "higher" . You might have to "shave" the grommets 1/16"-1/8" off the top/bottom to get the panel to sit flush.

The part # for the rubber grommet on the Centershelter of a '99 Aspencade is , , 83156-MNS-000 and is just a couple bucks from most of the parts warehouses. Other grommets have different part numbers which possibly indicates they have different dimensions and even though they fit, the result might not be the same.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered them from Partzillla:
83156-MN5-000 - GROMMET, TOP SHELTER22$4.86

And it doesn't sit right even when I remove the grommets entirely.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
It wouldn't be the first time Partzilla put the wrong part in the bag with the right part#.

If nothing is interfering with the bosses as they push through the grommets, its time to shave the top of the rubber grommets with a razor blade.

I'm out of ideas if that doesn't work, , , sorry

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,187 Posts
use a Q-tip and just barely get it 'wet' with Vaseline.
then run the Q-tip thru the grommets.

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500 Asp and 2017 GL1800 4AC
294 Posts
Before you do any trimming of the grommets, take the cover off and look at it closely. Somehow it is not seating all the way.
Take a look at the pictures here of what a normal panel bed looks like. I took mine off just to get pictures for you. Compare these pictures to how yours looks.
IMG_20200423_210448568.jpg

This is with the panel removed.
IMG_20200423_210512785.jpg

This is the underside of the panel.
IMG_20200423_210909338.jpg

This is looking down at it from the front.

Yours should look the same except for the extra wires (two left, one right) and the Velcro.
IMG_20200423_210602374.jpg

This is properly installed and fully seated.

I hope you figure it out.

·
1,716 Posts
I dont know if you had the radio out of the shelter ?
But , if you look close at the pictures that "Briese" posted (first and third ones) , you will see a wide metal hook in the middle off the two grommets , and if this one is UNDER the shelter you will have the problem you describe .

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Mark,
My beast doesn't have the metal hook under the shelter like the others are describing. I used what I knew about my beast to try to diagnose your problem, , ,sorry if it wasn't the solution to your situation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts