Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

What are the indications that the points need replacing?

Randakk suggests replacing the stock points with those from a CB450, but my question is how often or upon experiencing what action, should I replace the points?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

sanfelice wrote:
What are the indications that the points need replacing?

Randakk suggests replacing the stock points with those from a CB450, but my question is how often or upon experiencing what action, should I replace the points?
If it's running fine, don't bother them!:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

The simple fact is that point start wearing down the minute you fit them and start the engine. If you do a lot of miles then checking/adjusting the gap every few thousand miles will do. Or as Paul suggests, just leave them alone if the bike is running fine. Replacing them at service time and forgetting about them until next service is what I used to do when I had bikes and carswith points. I know people who get almost obsessed with adjusting points after almost every ride, sometimes causing more problems than they fix.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

If the points are bad then you might find the bike hard to start, experience flat spots, lack of power and maybe even missing and jumping. If you are nor having problems then leave the points until service time as the lads say.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Like they say above, leave them alone if they're working fine.

If you do replace them, there is a little bit of a break-in period as the points cam rubs away at the phenalic material on the points. After 500 miles or so it's good to re-adjust them, then you can forget about them until they either cause problems or are in need of replacement.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

I replaced the points on my 76 GL1000 LTD with the electronic ign mod - swaps out the points with an electromagnetic pulser ($75.00 +/-) - it ran much better afterwards. no more messin with points.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

GoldWing Rider wrote:
I replaced the points on my 76 GL1000 LTD with the electronic ign mod - swaps out the points with an electromagnetic pulser ($75.00 +/-) - it ran much better afterwards. no more messin with points.
back in about '79 I replaced mine with an electronic ignition... best improvement I ever made:1000darkblue:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I know some like to keep the points because they are easier to troubleshoot and keep the bike stock, but personally I can't think of a better modification than improving an old ignition system. Electronic ignition can really make a difference.

I had a Rotax 532 on the first Ultralight Airplane I built. After I changed over to a electronic ignition system with CDI it was like night and day. While the ignition system of a two stroke is more critical than on a 4 stroke, it still makes a big difference. Made a 5mpg difference on my old 70 VW. If systems are still available I'd go for it. You could most likely go back to points if you wanted to for some reason.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.