Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Life Time Premium Member
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

While starting my bike this morning I realized how often I use that ignition switch and was wondering if it should be lubricated. Should I just squirt a little WD-40 in there or what?

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

You can, and I have...but it only helps to make the key work smoother. Works good. Don't need very much, just a quick spurt.

The actual switch part is on the bottom, and separate from the keyed/locking mechanism. If the trouble is down there, it will require complete removal, cleaning, and the application of special dielectric grease...or possible replacement. :waving:

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

Dennis, if you want to lubricate the cylinder and mechanism I would use a graphite lube sprayed down the key opening. You can use either a dry graphite or a spray graphite where the carrier dries up. Using a wet lube of any kind will just attract and hold dirt.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
imported post

Goldwings 4 ever wrote:
Dennis, if you want to lubricate the cylinder and mechanism I would use a graphite lube sprayed down the key opening. You can use either a dry graphite or a spray graphite where the carrier dries up. Using a wet lube of any kind will just attract and hold dirt.
+1

Use the same stuff for the false tank key hole and on your automobiles as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.