Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I bought a 94 Aspencade last year and it did not have detailed service records so I don't know if this component was ever worked on. I am having problems with two of the "key" positions in the ignition switch. OFF, ACC, ON work as described in the owners manual. The problem is P(ark) and LOCK. In P, no lights come on and I cannot remove the key. The manual says the the taillight, license lights and ACC circuits are on. It also says the key can be removed. In the LOCK position, the taillight, license lights and ACC circuits are on, although the manual says they should not be. The steering is locked and I can remove the key.

From the parts manual diagram, it appears the wiring harness from the mechanical ignition switch to the connector header above the left side radiator fan is a factory cable, so I am assuming the wiring is correct at that point. Is there somewhere after that point that could cause the symptoms I'm seeing.

Any help would be appreciated. While this does not cause a problem riding, I can't lock the bike without the lights being on.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

It sounds like you're not getting it turned all the way to Lock... LOCK should be nearly 180-degrees off of the RUN position.

Pushing the key-in as you turn anti-clockwise there's kinda of "fantom" detent that seems to be related to the key being pushed in... at this position the key can not be removed (I believe this is related to the mechanism for depressing the key into the cylinder), and you must rotate past this point to get to Park.

... If you can't rotate the key any farther you may wanna try wiggling the steering a bit more -- if they're not fully over (and aligned with the locking pin) the locking pin won't fully extend so you can't actually get the key to the lock position.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I don't have any problem actually locking the steering and removing the key. But, the taillights, license plate lights and ACC circuit are ON in the LOCK position and they should not be.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Ahhh, thank you Satan. After re-rereading your message and going out to retest, I realized there is, as you say, a phantom position between OFF and P. There are some tiny little marks at that point (and my eyes are too old to see what the marks are, and it is not referenced in the owners manual) which I thought was the P position. P is actually what I thought was LOCK, but LOCK is yet another detent past that. Working as designed, as we say. This was a case of Operator Error. Thanks again for the clarification.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

I made aslight revision to your post, but I'm glad it's all to rights... ;)

tanker wrote:
Ahhh, thank you Satan. After re-rereading your message and going out to retest, I realized there is, as you say, a phantom position between OFF and P. There are some tiny little marks at that point (and my eyes are too old to see what the marks are, and it is not referenced in the owners manual) which I thought was the P position. P is actually what I thought was LOCK, but LOCK is yet another detent past that. Working as designed, as we say. This was a case of Owners Manual Documentation Error. Thanks again for the clarification.
Only a case of piss-poor documentation, the bike is more complex than theowner's manualhas space to describe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.