Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I mean the igntion spark plug wires...:Dcome on keep it clean, this is a family show here!:action:

When pulling my engine last evening, I had a heck of a time getting those wires out of the way..

They are very stiff as in almost no flex at all.

I am concluding that it is due to old age, (18 years) and having never been moved about like I was doing, these are ready for replacement.

Any comments on this?

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi mr fix it the coil end is always very stiff i think because of the amount of heat traped up there the plug end is more flexable if they are sparking well you can leave well enough alone

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

Ignition wire HT high tension leads should not be still. If contaminated the wires do become stiff. When stiff they can crack and crack at high voltage means leakage at some time especially in damp weather. I would change them. Also check your connectors at plugs and coils, clean all areas and do a plug check at the same time and the water drip holes at the base of the plugs.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the input ARKnapp, This is what I suspected, the engine is brand new I am installing so the plug drip holes at this time are not an issue.

No I wonder if anyone has installed after market wires..:(

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the thoughts Agnogel, but I'm thinking these should be changed out now while the engine is out of the bike..

I had to disassemble the coils to get the wires out of the way so I could remove the rad overflow tank..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.