Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
24,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get so frustrated with people who ask for advise then turn around and do the opposite of said advise. Many times I have had people ask me about certain cars to buy, a lot of times I have told them to not buy said car and almost every time they go ahead and buy the car I told them to stay away from. That's not too bad since a car is just a car and a mistake is not too hard to overcome.
I recently gave a young man advise on a job and his future, it seems he ignored me also and did something I think even he knew was wrong and in the process burned a bridge to a better future. He is not family, just a good friend and I didn't take him to raise nor am I responsible for him but I just can't stop thinking about the mistake he made and the consequences for his family. Makes me want to get in his face and let him know just how I feel but I'll just let it lie and save the told you so for later. I guess that's why I'm ranting on here, to get it off my chest without giving it directly to him.

·
Administrator
58,192 Posts
Dave, this is so appropriate for how I am feeling right now.

I have been involved in some Android forums, and when I started getting a little bit more vocal on some of the issues, it got totally out of hand...... I just shut the door on that forum and they can just kiss my behind before they see me again.

We weren't born yesterday, and we have been around long enough to recognize the bad side of things..... but on they go, totally ignoring the advise given to them.

In this one particular instance, a young feller in a 3rd world country who could not afford to buy a phone, managed to do so..... no "participation from the telephone vendors over there", he had to pay full retail..... but, he wants to "ROOT" his phone so that he can do things that the normal phone won't allow him to do.

I told him that would be ill advised, if what you got, is all you got, and there ain't agonna be a replacement coming, do NOT mess around with the operating system on the phone.

End result, he managed to Delete the operating system, and now it won't even boot up anymore. And, on Android, if it won't boot, it is not repairable..... no way for him to plug it into a PC and write a new image to it now, it won't boot up into USB mode anymore.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Your friend didn't want advice, he wanted approval. You didn't give it so he did it anyway. Not your fault. Not your problem.

It hurts when you see someone you like suffering in one way or another because they don't look far enough down the road.

There must have been a sale on rose coloured glasses.

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Your friend didn't want advice, he wanted approval. You didn't give it so he did it anyway. Not your fault. Not your problem.

It hurts when you see someone you like suffering in one way or another because they don't look far enough down the road.

There must have been a sale on rose coloured glasses.

Bingo ..... a winner !

·
New Guy
791 Posts
pretty much on target, though he may have weighed your advice through his own filters and decided his way was better for him. bummer it didn't work out for him but it's part of his life learning lessons.

in these kinds of situations i've reached a "not my circus, not my monkey" mindset.

·
Administrator
24,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
in these kinds of situations i've reached a "not my circus, not my monkey" mindset.
You're right I guess but I have this "I am my brothers keeper" mentality.
I have made similar mistakes myself but I don't remember asking anyone's advise or opinion on them, screwed up all on my own.

·
1,566 Posts
When my nephew was younger I gave him lots of advice gleaned from personal experience. Quite bit if it he ignored as I was an 'old man' and didn't understand the 'younger lives'.
Now he's older, has a couple of kids, and when I asked him about it, he admits he should have listened to me.
I'm of the opinion that most of todays youth will not listen to anything except experience. And it must be their own experience. If it happened to someone else, well, it was just bad luck for the other person.
Trying to pass on the lessons that living has taught you is difficult to those that don't want to listen.
And as Nobbie said, they may be looking for permission more than anything else.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
when my kids reached the age of 18,I told them" If you ask my advice,but don't take it,DON'T ask me to bail you out! "
Worked ok,most of the time. Once,though,my daughter asked what I thought about a Jeep Grand Cherokee,she was looking at.I told her (after looking it over) it was a POS,and she should find something else.
She didn't listen,and a month later,when the rear axle broke,and she asked me to haul it home,I told her to call a wrecker service.
She got it repaired,and 2 months later,she opened the driver's side door,....and it fell off! She finally got rid of it.

·
Unofficial Youtube Addict
2,603 Posts
Its good karma to offer help and advice. Good things you do will come back to you. Ive been in the same boat many times. As ive gotten older I get less frustrated when this happens. I guess it surprises me less. Its good to have the desire to help.

·
New Guy
791 Posts
You're right I guess but I have this "I am my brothers keeper" mentality.
I have made similar mistakes myself but I don't remember asking anyone's advise or opinion on them, screwed up all on my own.
yep, i hear ya.

some time along the way - i don't remember when - i fell into john lennon's line of thinking, "i just had to let it go."

·
Registered
26 Posts
There is a name for people like that... ASKHOLE...What's an askhole, you ask? It's a word that's come up recently to describe someone who asks for your advice but never follows through on it. ;)

·
Administrator
58,192 Posts
There is a name for people like that... ASKHOLE...What's an askhole, you ask? It's a word that's come up recently to describe someone who asks for your advice but never follows through on it. ;)
I like to learn new words, and now I got one to remember :claps:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.