Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I guess I should know this but I thought I would ask anyhow.

While checking the engineoil level on a '94 GL 1500 should the dip stick be screwed in or not? For some reason I think it should be screwed in, am I wrong?

I checked the operator manual and I didn't see where it gave any instruction.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
imported post

sixt5 wrote:
I guess I should know this but I thought I would ask anyhow.

While checking the engineoil level on a '94 GL 1500 should the dip stick be screwed in or not? For some reason I think it should be screwed in, am I wrong?

I checked the operator manual and I didn't see where it gave any instruction.
Six5, I have had 1200 & 1500 Goldwings and always set the dip stick on the threads to check the oil. But to be sure I was right I just checked my repair manual and you set it on the threads, do not screw it in and the oil level should be between the lines....Gary

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
imported post

i didnt know that either sixt5. dont be embarrassed, learn something new everyday:)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

fatalattraction wrote:
Yep, the manual says to NOT screw it in.
On the centerstand too. I know no one asked but there it is anyway!

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Good question and good answers! If the dip stick is screwed in or the bike is on the side stand, the reading will be way off.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

At least you guys HAVE dipsticks. I have to stand on my head while holding a flashlight and screwdriver. :(

Yeah, yeah, I know I could get a dipstick for my 83 for $20, but then I couldn't complain. :)

Jack

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Jack, that $20 dip stick works very well and no more standing on your head.

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

jackjohn wrote:
Jack, that $20 dip stick works very well and no more standing on your head.

But what fun would that be:grinner:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

jsmith24 wrote:
At least you guys HAVE dipsticks. I have to stand on my head while holding a flashlight and screwdriver. :(

Yeah, yeah, I know I could get a dipstick for my 83 for $20, but then I couldn't complain. :)

Jack
You are ahead of my brother with his 2001 BMW 1100, he has to use a flashlight but the bike doesn't have the handy dandy wiper.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

jsmith24 wrote:

Jack
Remember, standing on your head allows increase blood flow feeding the brain and making you smarter.:dude: That's why Honda designed it that way. They also want you to learn basic tool skills like how to turn on a flash light, identify a flat head screw driver,:bash: and to get some exercise:weightlifter: by doing some weird contortion with your body. Now aren't you glad you don't have that silly dip stick. You would miss out on so much. :jumper:

Jerry

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You really don't need a dipstick there's a little red light on the panel that comes on to let you know it needs oil.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
You really don't need a dipstick there's a little red light on the panel that comes on to let you know it needs oil.

:goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

I wouldn't feel to bad about asking this question, it has been asked before and will no doubt be asked again. I think it falls into the catagory of trying to figure out why the bike won't go only to discover the kill switch has been bumped.

Of course neither of these has been an issue to me. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:doh:

Andrew

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
imported post

I want that dipstick! can anyone tell me where to buy it? Will it work in a '81 interstate? My head hurts and my flashlight batteries are dead. I dont trust the idiot lite.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
imported post

Andrewl wrote:
I wouldn't feel to bad about asking this question, it has been asked before and will no doubt be asked again. I think it falls into the catagory of trying to figure out why the bike won't go only to discover the kill switch has been bumped.

Of course neither of these has been an issue to me. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:doh:

Andrew
Hey Andrew. I resent that...LOL :goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

dentedsatelite wrote:
I want that dipstick! can anyone tell me where to buy it? Will it work in a '81 interstate? My head hurts and my flashlight batteries are dead. I dont trust the idiot lite.
You can find it here, and it should work just fine! Soon as I'm back on my feet/wheels, I'm there too:

Dipstick

Jack

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.