Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello my fellow Wingers,

Today is the day that I announce that my backside is no longer a play toy for every shyster shop that exists! I'm fed up… I've had enough… And I'm fighting back! I have been calling all over the area for what I thought would be a very simple thing. Put a tire on the rim and balance it. No biggie right? Most shops don't want to do this unless you allow their parts department to shove it to you raw by buying one of their overinflated priced tires; at which point, the shop will do you a great favor and mount and balance the tire for $30. I was able to find one place that was more than happy to mount the tire, but since I did not buy it from them they want $41. Please understand, I'm not talking about taking the wheel off the bike, just putting the tire on the rim. This should take no more than 10 minutes to do, and that's assuming that halfway through you stopped and went outside for smoke and a Coke. Yet these ripoff artists seem to think they can charge you a half an hour even when you buy the tire from them! I'm done playing by their rules… It's time to change the game to my favor.

The way I see it I have one of two choices; I can either sell my bike simply because it needs a new tire (yeah right), or figure out how to do it myself here at the house even though I don't have a garage. So I'm going to give it a shot to do it myself.

Armed with the factory service manual, as well as rear tire removal instructions printed from Steve's how-to section (thank you Steve), I'm fully confident I can remove and replace the rear wheel assembly with little to no problem. But I would like to ask if any of you have any tips or tricks that you be willing to pass along on changing and balancing the tire. My biggest concern is trying to get the tire balanced. I guess worst-case scenario I could always try Dyna Beads assuming I can find some place that sells them. Any help you can give me would truly be appreciated.

Dane

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
imported post

If you got it off the bike the hard works done, just be sure and protect your rim from the pry bars. Make sure you install a new valve stem. Beads should be available from any reputable bike shop.

To balance just search Google and you will se several ways to do it. I just use beads myself.

http://youtu.be/T2AuivYzaBs

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Lots of you-tube vids. Search for "Motorcycle tire change"

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

Theres a small shop here in town that does it for thirty five bucks, even my car tire, which was a bear because he could'nt get it all the way on. Try looking for a small shop in your area????? I found seven different ones near Mineral Point. You near there?

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Yeah, well, I've been doing it for a couple of years now, and, while it's possible, easy it ain't.......

You've got a couple of options for equipment:

Harbor Freight, about $100 for changer stand, long bar.

No-Mar, about $600 for their set-up.

You can also get the cheap HF changer, but invest in No-Mar bar and spoons, which is probably a good investment.

Get on you-tube, and google up a couple of instructional vids, they are pretty good....one of the best hints is to work with a warm tire (put it in a car in the sun, or heat it with a hair dryer), another essential hint is when working with the final bead of the new tire, make sure both beads opposite are pushed down into the tire well, which gives you enough "stretch" to work the final bead over.......I use a couple of one-handed carpenter clamps, big ones, to do this.....

(my trusty Harbor Freight p. o. s......! Lol.....)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

Have you tried any of the independant auto tire shops ? The new style tire machines make it simple to clamp a tubless bike wheel and remove the tire . I am thinking of the new verticle machines like this one: FREE SHIPPING — Bendpak Tire Changer with Wheel Protection Kit — 21in., Model# R-745 | Tire Changers | Northern Tool + Equipment.

I do not believe these auto tire shops would rip you so bad as a bike shop , especially if one you normally use for auto tire work . Of course you may need still do the balance work .

Just a thought anyhow .

·
Trike Master
1,247 Posts
imported post

You obviously don't make your living as a motorcycle accessories/mechanic shop owner!
No offense meant but, when one has to pay the staff, utilities, maintain the store/shop, provide ample inventory, etc. $30 to $40 to remove the old tire, mount the new tire + balancing or beads or RideOn + new valve stem and hope one is not mounting a "second" or defective tire which you can easily get from the internet............

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

Wow! I didn't realize how good I have it. There are 2 tire shops within a couple of miles from me that will mount and balance a bike tire for $20. (That's if you bring them just the rim) I know this because I used one when I found my front valve stem had a crack developing in the rubber and the other when I had my new tires mounted.

I would imagine there has to be other shops that charge similarly.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I do them myself with three 24" spoons from Harbor Freight and a large C clamp along with some rim protectors.

To balance I slide a 3/4" diameter steel rod through the bearings and hang it on two jack stands after making sure the wheel bearings are smooth and free turning.

Spin the wheel and mark at the top where it stops with a piece of bar soap. Spin again. If it stops there again, add a couple of small wheel weights where the mark is and spin again.

Repeat this process until the wheel stops at random places every time.

Mount the wheel and ride.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
imported post

there is a bike salvage yard a town over from me that also sells new stuff , i bought both front and rear tires from them ( new ) 92.00 front/ 105.00 rear , took them my old tires and they switched out and balanced for free . they will have all my tire business

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

I asked a local car tyre dealer and they said about $15, I balance, a local bike parts dealer "not bike brand afiliated" wanted $20 with balancing. I'm not sure if that price would be honoured if I showed up with my own tyre though but that's a moot point here in Canada as all the online deals I find are from the Excited States and they won't ship across the border.

Mel, that "Harbor Freight p. o. s" looks good but I have no room for it. I am thinking about building one like it but mine would mount in the reseiver hitch of my truck and hang on the wall when not in use. If you could post or send me a higher resilution picture of it it would be appreciated. My address is
kbergen<at>telus<dot>net

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

My sentiments exactly TFdeputydawg. The cost of doing business now a days is amazing. I Owned 3 small businesses up until a couple of months ago. I was talking to my brother who lived in NY and all he was doing was bitching about all the money his Boss was making off the sweat of his back......

I sold My most profitable business to my brother, who moved to NC to run it. He is amazed everyday of how much it cost to run a small business. Everyday there is someone there with their hand out wanting money. Won't even talk about the taxes..... and insurance.

However I must admit I was a little pissed when the guy quoted me $36 for a mount and balance which included a new valve stem, then I looked and seen he never changed the valve stem.......... But Im sure it was an oversight and would still use him.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

I changed my own last time. It was, well not easy, but not too hard. I used the beads and will probably use them again on my next tire. The reason I changed them myself is the same as you. The shops here wanted to charge me $100 or more to bring in both of my own tires and have them mount and balance. That's with them off the bike. I understand the reason why they were charging that much, but I'm too cheap to spend that much on something that I can do myself. My advice is make sure you use those rim protectors. Also, instead of a clamp I used a 2x2 piece of board and a longer 4x4 to break the bead. I took the 2x2 and put it on one side of the tire and used the 4x4 as a leaver (one side under my truck and I was pushing down on the other side). That worked fairly well. Also, I agree with cousin jack and rudy. If a tire is warm it's easier to work with, and when you are trying to get that last bead over the rim your going to want to get the other side of the tire closer to the center of the rim to get that last bit over the rim. A spray bottle with soapy water helps a lot in getting the bead over the rim and even onto the bead of the rim, just if your going to use beads, try not to use too much. Balancing with weights is as easy as Rudy said. I would balance the rim only first and then check the balance with the tire on. You might find that it isn't that different. Dyna beads can work with the weights, but that's a different thread all together. lol. I use the beads only and it works fine for me (just my opinion). Oh, and I would take the time to give those rims a really good cleaning while they are off the bike since its easier to do it then. :) Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

I have an "old" buddy that is a 35 year Honda tech and part owner of a Honda motorcycle dealership near me. He WILL NOT install anyone elses tire on my rim because of liability issues. HeWILL charge me $25 to mount and balance a tire bought in his dealership.

He will also look the other way when I bring in a tire after working hours, and mount and balance it on his equipment. :ssshh: I told you he was my buddy.

Bottom line. You need to pay for your equipment. You need to get paid for your time.

I'd do my own work, but I'm too damned expensive!!

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

the reason they want to charge this amount is that you most probley went online and got the tire . Thats why they charge you a higher price

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
imported post

Made my bead breaker like the one at HF except mine does not have a stand, it fastens to a steel support collumn in the basement when used and hangs by a joist otherwise. It's fastened via chain so it's adjustable so I can break a bead on a 31/10.50-15 or 33/12.50-15 truck tire OR a small trailer tire and everything between including the bike's tires. To me, that's the hardest part before I had a bead breaker.

To change tires, which I'll only do on the MC at home, I use tire spoons and lubricant and technique and a well padded 15 gallon grease drum that doubles as a heavy debris drop for my dust collector setup. Ballance is by hanging between two saw horses and short spins multiple tries until stop spot is random.

The truck tires or car tires get done at buddy's shop. The only reason I use my bead breaker on them is if I'm just replacing valve stems ... or maybe if I think I can get a "patch-plug" in place which happens.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
...that's a moot point here in Canada as all the online deals I find are from the Excited States and they won't ship across the border.
Aw com' on, Ken. Are you a wanted man in the States? There's a Parcel Service 30 minutes down the road from you in Sumas.

Sumas Parcel Service

I haven't bought a motorcycle tire in Canada in over 30 years. Order them online and have it shipped to the border. Usually for free. Even paying the 9% duty on my foreign-made Pilot GT's I still saved huge bucks over what the stealership wanted for them.

Am headed to the border tomorrow to pick up my new Austone CT for the 'Wing. Will save the cost of the 120 mile round trip just by filling up the Accord on the other side of the border and saving 40 cents/liter. Not to mention the combined $400 (40%) I'm saving on my total bill for all the other stuff I'm picking up.

As for installation, we have numerous shops in the area that will change a tire brought in with a new tire in hand for $40 (Canadian shop rates are usually approx. 50% higher than in the USA). We have our own 'Burt Munro' in town who will even install a CT, no questions asked for $30.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

welcome to the world of service repair yes many many many shops dont put on parts that you supply shuch as tires, brakes ect

why dont they well basically they can choose not to part of it is liability the other part is frankly they want the money

so what can you do????

well you can live with it

find another shop if you can

or learn how to do it your self 20 bucks in 2 tire bars is all you really need and a bottle of soapy water

ive worked in the service field my whole life and ive seen shops do the exact thing your complaing about and frankly other than whining and grumping about it there is NOTHING you can do its their legal right to tell you this regarless if you can find the part ALOT cheaper than what the service center provides but if the shops in question allowed this they wouldnt be in business just installing parts that you provide.

almost all of a shops annual income is due to parts sales service work is just a bonus but the parts sales are almost everything.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
imported post

Its the same here in Nashville too. It doesnt matter if I buy the tire from them or off the internet. The people at Sloans Motorcycle in Murfreesboro will still charge me $32.50 per tire to mount it.. Its extra to have them balance it. I use the Dyna Beads and love them. My wife has bought me my own motorcycle lift from Harbor Frieght and I hope to be able to buy the bead breaker and balancer next month. I will be totally self suffient after that. I have been a certified auto tech for almost 30 yrs now and have built my wing from the ground up so there wont be anything that I cant do.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.