Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just recently posted a question about replacement mirrors for my 81 GL1100. I took the left side mirror off, this is by far the worst one that moves. Well, when I unscrewed it I could tell that one of the screws holding it to the fairing was not tight at all. Was stripped out or very, very close to be stripped out at the least. What can I do to somehow get this to tighten? I suppose I could somehow put some JB Weld in there but then that's a one time deal. I'd be in real trouble if I had to replace the mirror then. Soooooo, if you have any suggestions for me I'd really appreciate them. BTW... a big thanks to AZWinger, the screw holding the spring with washer on the backside was loose. Thanks to all!!!

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

You do know that the "nuts" that the mirror screws go into are not locked in place? They tend to turn of their own accord unless you get a screwdriver or something in to hold them still while you tighten the screws.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I wondered that but from what I can tell, how do I"hold" the nut? I took the flasher cover off and reached up but I can't feel the nuts at all. They seem to be enclosed. Or do I have to remove the speaker? Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

On my 83 Aspencade I had the same problem. You need to remove the speaker. Once removed, you can see the nuts for the mirror and hold them in place.

I'm glad you only had a loose screw! :waving:

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Seems like a lot of Wing owners suffer from loose screws!

AZWinger wrote:
On my 83 Aspencade I had the same problem. You need to remove the speaker. Once removed, you can see the nuts for the mirror and hold them in place.

I'm glad you only had a loose screw! :waving:

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
imported post

I have an 80 gl1100 . Yes remove the speaker. If the nut is stripped which it probably isn,t. replace it with a metric hex nut.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
imported post

Yes, and about removing those speakers...

My '81 speakers are held in place by 4 wing-nuts and washers, inconveniently located, and pointed down to boot. Can't get two hands into the fairing, so use a long, small pick (or awl, or screwdriver) to hold the washers in place while re-installing the nut. Dropping thewashers into the fairing is a big hassle, I can tell you from experience.

Anyonehave a better method for r/r the speakers?

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

I stuffed a rag in the fairing to catch anything I dropped! It is a tight squeeze.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thank you all to who helped me with the mirror problem. Got them both fixed now and both seem nice and tight. As for the speakers, I put a small piece of double sided masking tape over the screw. This held the flat washer in place. I was then able to put those self locking nuts (the kind with that plastic insert) onto the screw and easily tighten them. It had the regular nut and lock washer but I too was having trouble getting those critters on so I decided to go with the self locks. AGAIN.... THANK YOU TO ALL!!!!!!! This is the best forum out on the net, Hands down!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.