Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody!

I just bought a 1984 Goldwing Aspencade! 35k Miles... It's intact and runs, but it'll take a lot of work to get it looking nice. It's been sitting for a couple of years, in a semi-exposed location. It's a California bike, so it hasn't seen any real extreme temperatures, No salty roads, only dust and some rainy weather.

I'll start my search on 'How to detail a Goldwing', I'm hopeful to find a lot of information and advice from y'all! :)

If anybody has any initial tips on the following I'd appreciate your input:
1) Restore the plastic of the dash, buttons, radios. Is there a way to get that dried up plastic to look good again?

2) Surface rust. I imagine there aren't many 'tricks' here, I think it'll just be a matter of taking parts and using Evapo-Rust and some polish. And generous application of elbow-grease.

3) Any tips on repainting saddlebags, fairing, side covers? Can I get a professional looking finish at home? Are there places that rent sprayers?

4) Any general 'New Guy' advice? My last bike was a LOT smaller than the Goldwing.

I know I can search these forums and the web in general for this type of info... but, It would be great if anybody could point me in the right direction!

I'm eager to get started in the Goldwing universe!
- Craig

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
Welcome from Brisbane. I like good quality silicon spray for restoring all the color back into hard plastics, others use furniture polish, armoral and such. The only thing I will say is not to get any of these sprays on any surface that you may want to repaint.

·
Premium Member
73,587 Posts
Hallo ctrobins

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

·
killer driller
781 Posts
Welcome from South Carolina,you came to the right place, most everyone here is helpful go to the tech forum and ask your questions and you'll soon get some good advice.good luck with your bike

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the forum! :waving:
Enjoy the new Old Wing

1) Armor all works the best for me.

2) Search the topic of rubbing aluminum foil over the rust and see what you find. It works.

3)Are you sure the bags really need painting? Hit them with some wax first and see what happens. If it shines up, keep after it with simple lemon pledge.

4) Practice, practice, practice. If it has been a while since you have riden, take a MSF course. Learn what you are capable of before you begin to find out what the 1200 is able to do.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts

Welcome:waving:ctrobins

·
Premium Member
68,164 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
I recommend you post your question over in the General Motorcycle Discussion section. Most of the gurus won't see it over here, and a lot more people frequent over there. Just a few of us greeters hang out over here on a regular basis.
:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

Hello from Virginia,

Welcome Aboard!!!!!

Glad to have you with us!

:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma :waving: Enjoy the wing :cheesygrin:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.