Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I recently traded an ATV for a 95 Aspy with 10,551 miles on the odometer. As some of you may have read in other posts of mine, the bike was parked 6 years ago with 1.5 gallons of stale, foul fuel in it. I pretty much only had to pump up the tires, suck out all of the old fuel, add new, add half a can of the blessed Sea Foam and install a new battery. Twenty seconds of cranking and it started right up. I ran the Sea Foam through about two or three tanks of fuel and now the bike seems to perform like a new machine. Here is where I need the assistance. I fully understand that when I come to a great forum like this one that I'm bound to read a ton of posts from guys that are having problems but yet I consider myself very lucky that with that garbage fuel in the tank and carbs that I'm pretty damn lucky it started at all. I guess what I'm looking for is links or information on any known problems that this model had in that model year. I think I read something about a frame problem in an earlier model and that's the kind of stuff I'm looking for. I'm very mechanically inclined and have done all work on my vehicles that I was capable of doing and in reading this forum, there is a ton of information and more importantly, GREAT MEMBERS that are willing to share their knowledge of the machine and if it were not for that, I probably would consider selling it for a newer machine but from what I've read, many of you ride older Wings and that keeps me positive about owning an older Wing. Don't get me wrong though, I realize that a 95 is from what I've read here not an "Old Wing". There's endless quality information available using the search feature of this site and I will do so rather than posting just for the sake of posting but I could use some insider information from 95 Aspy owners on what to be ready for and how to make this dream ride last longer than I probably will.

Any and all information and shared wisdom will be greatly appreciated. This is an incredible website for Wing owners and it's obviously ran and supported by some very kind riders and I look forward to getting to know you all.

With Great Respect,
Ed

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

wow, sounds like a great bike. That mileage is only just barely breakin!

The search function will be your best friend. Other than us, of course! LOL

Welcome to the forum!

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Wow.. sounds like a great trade!..

and if it is running well, then it probably doesn't need much.. you might want to do a little search on timing belts.. at 10,000 miles they are probably original but still 13 years old... I think more engines are damaged by iimproper installation than by broken belts, so do your homeowrk before tackeling it, but it should probably be done very soon... SDB/Jim

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi ed most guys who have owned a few goldwing say the 1500 is the best by far for comfort and durability on the long ride i did a tour of spain last year for a month and came home fresh as a daisy apart from the normal serviceing it would be a good idea to change the timeing belts not for the mileage on the bike but for how old it is they can disintragate with age and the fact it was lyeing up for so long
If you need more spific info post in the tec forum safe ride and enjoy thats what its all about

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
imported post

Might want to give a thought to the tires also.....after sitting for that long they may need to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

Congratulations on a stellar trade, neighbor !! I'm just a little toyour south, in Schuylkill County. We used to run our Jeep up at Paragon all the time.

You'll have to get some pics of that low mileage honey in the gallery, for us to drool over.

Dennis Kirk has great prices and quick shipping on Pilot GTs. Just put one on the rear of my 15 last weekend - big difference.

Enjoy that machine - I'm jealous. We'll have to go for a rip sometime. :)

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Welcome Ed!

Besides the new timing belts/tires, I'd be inclined to install a new air breather element, gas line filter and a new sub filter before it disintegrates and causes havoc with you carbs. Also change all the fluids(oil, brake/clutch, final drive and use non-silicatecoolant only)

When you pull the rear tire, make sure you lube the spines with some Pro Honda Moly 60 paste

Again, welcome to the Forum and enjoy that great cruising machine that you stole! ;)

Dusty

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
imported post

On the first page of the site click on Goldwing History, great info on each year, what changes were made from year to year and any problems.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Hi Ed, and welcome to the forum:waving:. You just got all the good basic info from the other guys. Dusty Boots is right on with the fluids and little extra filters these bikes have. Remember when pulling off and replacing any plastic to just take your time. Can't be in a hurry or your more likely to break tabs and such.

Get the timing belts done. It's a good rainy day job.

I'm no more then 45 mins from Bear Creek. Just 12 miles north of Tunkhannock. Wouldn't mind hooking up for a ride sometime.

Ever been to the "Hawks Nest" ???? :action:

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

Congrats on such a great trade. You're about to become another one hooked on the Goldwing life.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,793 Posts
imported post

Ed,

Congrats on making an excellent trade.

On any main forum page, if you look to the right in the Menu, you will see an item named "Post Index A-Z"

Click on that and cruise down thru all of the links. It is not complete yet, but we have more than 750 links indexed so far.

Quite a few are for the GL1500. As most of the 1500s are the same, most of the GL1500 links will be valid for you. Ignore any that refer to the 1988 and 1989 models specifically.

Enjoy, and have fun with your new ride, and your new forum. :waving:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.