Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
The Wrecker
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Guys Im interested in a product called Bike a Side. cant find anyone in North America that sells it. If you Google Bike a side a video on You tube pops up, looks cool anyone seen or used one

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

Or just use an old baking pan under the center stand, that slides around the garage floor very easily.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Hey stranger do you not remember seeing one in my garage, but mine is blue :cool:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I used to shift and turn bikes around in my old shop just using a bike jack. I still have a HF yellow and black bike jack that got lots of use over the past seven years and is going strong. The jack will do the job of shifting the bike around while also facilitating many maintenance jobs like removing and replacing wheels.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

The Wrecker's avatar looks like he has a Quad, so none of those would work. He'd need 4 individual ones like they use to move cars around a shop.:D:badgrin::badgrin:

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

:waving:The Wrecker wrote:
Hi Guys Im interested in a product called Bike a Side. cant find anyone in North America that sells it. If you Google Bike a side a video on You tube pops up, looks cool anyone seen or used one
here is thier web page in the NL. http://www.acebikes.nl/ They have a NA dealer for thier products.:waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
I used to shift and turn bikes around in my old shop just using a bike jack. I still have a HF yellow and black bike jack that got lots of use over the past seven years and is going strong. The jack will do the job of shifting the bike around while also facilitating many maintenance jobs like removing and replacing wheels.
This brings up a question I've thought about. I have a basic bike jack. The problem is moving it around easily. I use it for more than just to work on my bike. I also have to move it around in my shop.

The problem is the wheels. There are 2 castering and 2 fixed wheels, just like every other bike lift made. I've obtained 2 more castering wheels from the manufacturer and plan to have angles welded onto the fixed wheel end and install the new wheels.

Does anyone have a theory as to why they're all built with that wheel setup?

Things that make you say hhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..

Thanks,

Bob

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

2 fixed wheels makes something easier to steer into tight places, with 4 movable wheels when you try to steer it from the handle the front is likely to move sideways at the same time. Like most other systemsm there are pro's & con's. If you are using 4 movable wheels I"d suggest at least 1 locking if not 2. Then you have the best of both systems.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I suspect the reason for the two fixed wheels is to make the jack more predictable and controllable when maneuvering it with a load. It isn't going to skitter off cattywampus with two fixed wheels. With four casters any irregularity in the floor or a floor that's not levelcould make for some possible surprises when one wants to slip a bike into tight quarters. Also when moving a bike on the jack it's best to do all the pushing on the jack's handle and not on the bike. It would be difficult to move the loaded jack obliquely or sideways via the handle which would result in a tendency to help steer the jack by pushing on both the handle and the bike. That could make for a loud bunch of yelling and cursing. I don't know the above is the main reason, it could be simply that two fixed wheels are cheaper to put on the things.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Chris, if you want to come up & look at mine & know someone good with steel, there is not that much to them . I"ll buy the coffee too. :waving:

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Ok, we are leaving for Front Royal M&G around noon Thursday. :waving:

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

The Wrecker wrote:
No I have a GL1800 2001. and I still cant find an outlet in NA.
Here is the N/A dealer. :waving:

Wrecker, I know you have an 1800 but from the looks of your Avatar, it appears that you have 4 wheels on that GL1800.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

fysty-1 wrote:
The Wrecker wrote:
No I have a GL1800 2001. and I still cant find an outlet in NA.
Here is the N/A dealer. http://www.hermanusa.com/:waving:

Wrecker, I know you have an 1800 but from the looks of your Avatar, it appears that you have 4 wheels on that GL1800.

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
I suspect the reason for the two fixed wheels is to make the jack more predictable and controllable when maneuvering it with a load. It isn't going to skitter off cattywampus with two fixed wheels. With four casters any irregularity in the floor or a floor that's not levelcould make for some possible surprises when one wants to slip a bike into tight quarters. Also when moving a bike on the jack it's best to do all the pushing on the jack's handle and not on the bike. It would be difficult to move the loaded jack obliquely or sideways via the handle which would result in a tendency to help steer the jack by pushing on both the handle and the bike. That could make for a loud bunch of yelling and cursing. I don't know the above is the main reason, it could be simply that two fixed wheels are cheaper to put on the things.
I made my own dolly and all four wheels pivot. It also lifts both bike wheels off the ground so I have true 360 degree pivot and directional control. Ineed every inch of garage space so it was worth making.

The downside is the stability if one hits any rolling resistance. The thing can be a bit unpredictable. I know how to handle it so it's not an issue but if a person wanted to sell it as a consumer product they would likely havea lot of complaints about tipped bikes because a lot of people use brute force when gentle encouragement would be better.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

unionjk wrote:
Or just use an old baking pan under the center stand, that slides around the garage floor very easily.
My Dad used an old McDonalds plastic food tray. Worked like a charm!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.