Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Magic Moderator
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I started the process of Social Security at 62, I did the application on line and it was painless. I am official retired in the governments eyes in December 2017. :surprise: I look forward to my hobby of counted cross stitch, photography :cam: and all that stuff I could never do when I had to work.:clapper:

·
Magic Moderator
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. I figure at 62 I may as well enjoy life. July 2016 I suffered a stroke and then the loss of peripheral vision in my right eye my quality of life went a bit down hill. Employers wouldn't hire me and it became depressing. Now I put it all in God's hands and he seems to be pushing me in the right direction. I wanted to take a job offer from a friend, but no funds were surfacing and I had no way to get there and the funds finally arrived then Hurricane Harvey came along and that was God's final answer to me of 'No'. Hurricanes bring back not so good memories of 30 years in Florida. They always make jokes about no one goes up north to retire, I proved them wrong. :ROFL:

·
Premium Member
39,547 Posts
If we are patient and listen I personally believe God will answer our prayers. Not always what we want to hear though.

By the way I was thru Bellaire twice today on rt.7 and didn't see you walking on the side of the road, what gives?

·
Magic Moderator
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You'd have to come into town, I walk to Kroger's for shopping and then further into town for other things. Someone zipped by on a red Goldwing earlier today on 7, I can see the highway from the kitchen window. I live in the house in the circle.

Attachments

·
Magic Moderator
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I watch a lot of bike pass on the highway as I look out the kitchen window. For the last two days a lot of bikes and trikes have gone past the window.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Thank you. I figure at 62 I may as well enjoy life. July 2016 I suffered a stroke and then the loss of peripheral vision in my right eye my quality of life went a bit down hill. Employers wouldn't hire me and it became depressing. Now I put it all in God's hands and he seems to be pushing me in the right direction. I wanted to take a job offer from a friend, but no funds were surfacing and I had no way to get there and the funds finally arrived then Hurricane Harvey came along and that was God's final answer to me of 'No'. Hurricanes bring back not so good memories of 30 years in Florida. They always make jokes about no one goes up north to retire, I proved them wrong. :ROFL:
We moved to Kissimmee in 1984. In 2004, Charley (right over the top of us), Frances, Ivan (twice) and Jeanne came to call. Boarded up from August until Thanksgiving. Retired in late2004 and came back HOME to Iowa. Harvey and Irma brought back scary memories. Give me a good blizzard any day.
So, make that at least TWO of us who have "reverse retired".

·
Administrator
58,975 Posts
Cyndi and I were talking about the hurricanes and where we live now.

Yes, we are in a Tornado zone, but tornados blow up one hour, and then they are gone the next.

If they missed you, your life is not put out of joint the way things are in a hurricane zone..... the eye might miss you, but those winds circling around can sure reach out and do a lot of damage over an extended period of time.... like Harvey when it stagnated around the Houston area and would not leave....

I'm 74, and have been thru a couple of tornados.... the first big one was at Shepherd AFB in Wichita Falls, TX back around 1964... that one took a swath over 11 miles long, and about a mile wide.... it totally removed all buildings on the AFB that were not made out of concrete....

the hospital disappeared right down to the concrete pad it was built on.
Luckily, we had almost an hour's warning that it was coming towards us, and the hospital was evacuated extremely fast.

I was in a classroom, concrete building again, and the students were shuttled into the center hallways away from any doors.... i was positioned where I could see to the NE thru a glass windowed door..... i witnessed straws sticking thru telephone poles, sheets of corrugated iron cutting off anything that it happened it hit edgewise.... like those telephone poles... some of them has been cut off and there was a potato chip curly edge to the top of what was left.

here in Oologah, OK.... I witnessed a tornado pass by to the north of us about 2 or 3 miles, as it went to the east..... it did a little damage to hay barns but not much else.

·
Magic Moderator
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tornadoes frighten me also. They'll hit in one spot and tear it up and leave another area untouched, and then move on and tear something else to shreds. I'll deal with snow any day.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm ready to retire but have a mortgage to pay off first, my goal is 67 the good Lord willing. My wife and I are in relatively good health as we started eating at better after being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I'm off all meds for it and at 61 feel better than I have in 20 years (lost 70 lbs from the diet change).

We both look forward to when we can spend more time with the grandkids and touring the country on the Wing.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I'm 10 years away from that fun time and am very eager for it.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
I retired this past December and even though it still seems a bit strange not going to work every day there are a lot of pressures that I really DO NOT miss. It is great to be able to prioritize the things I WANT to do at home instead of someone else directing my path with the next phone call or office visit.

·
Administrator
58,975 Posts
I have been retired since Dec 2010, and I am still having problems adjusting to it.

Sometimes, I just have to get up and "go do something", like today, I went out and mowed the front yard.... didn't really need it, but I needed to do something besides sit in a chair.

·
Large Member
787 Posts
Wow what a coincidence. Next month I go and start the process, I'll be 62 in December. I'm working right up until then. My current employer doesn't know of my plans and won't until the day I say goodbye. I do plan on a part time job somewhere but it'll be on my terms and I'm sure it won't be what I'm doing now. This is just too stressful and frustrating working with the government. I like the idea of dog walker...

·
Registered
656 Posts
Been fully retired since 2012, now turning 63 in a few days. Have been busy since then. Don't know how I worked and did everything else. Found that you need to have a reason to get up. I go for coffee at the local McDs in the morning. Seems this is universal all over, lots of seniors/retirees doing this. There's a McDs in Texas and the seniors play bingo every Tuesday morning - great outing first thing in the morning.

Have the GW to keep me active and engaged. When I get this one done, will have to get another.

Enjoy your retirement(s).

Cheers

·
Administrator
58,975 Posts
Wow what a coincidence. Next month I go and start the process, I'll be 62 in December. I'm working right up until then. My current employer doesn't know of my plans and won't until the day I say goodbye. I do plan on a part time job somewhere but it'll be on my terms and I'm sure it won't be what I'm doing now. This is just too stressful and frustrating working with the government. I like the idea of dog walker...

I once made the mistake of letting an employer know of my plans, gave them a two weeks notice..... I was totally shaken to my roots when the jerks told me right then, on the phone, "you are now terminated, immediately return to base and turn in your equipment".....

I needed that next two weeks paycheck, and all of a sudden, i was left w/o enough money to complete my plans...

I learned from that little escapade....
When I retired from my last job, which was a civil government job, i did not even tell them that I was gone, I just did not show up for work....

only one person knew what I was doing, he and I had one heck of a good time about it.

I ordered in Pizza pies, enough to feed my gang of 12 coworkers... just told them that I was paying for everyone's lunch "today".... I let the pizza delivery guy in the back gate of our lot, and that was against their rules, all delivery folks must go thru the front door past Security.... tee hee

the Captain came down to see me while we were eating the last pieces of the evidence..... and he reprimanded me severely for letting the delivery man in the back gate....

I kept a straight face, and said " I promise you, I will never do that again ".... he was a bit of a jerk, and I did that on purpose, because he deserved getting Tit for Tat... :grin3:

that was 7 years ago, and I still get phone calls at least once a year from my best friend, he says " hey, your name came up today about that Pizza Party" >:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.