Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1984 Aspencade 1200 55,000 miles

Hi all, I have an oil drip from the from engine belt case area of my wing. This cant be good right? Perhaps could it be a valve cover gasket? Please?

Here's how I found it:
I also just got done with a kwik 8 mile ride. parked the bike and found the drip on the driveway a little while later. Left side of engine just inside valve cover, it was on the kickstand leaning to that side so I am gonna have to search for the originating location. Never had a leak before.

Any help? Where does this type of drip generally come from or could it be from several locations and I have to find it?

Bike runs great

Thanks
Robb

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
generally, there a few places that oil can leak out of on that side of the bike, and are pretty common on the 1200.

there is a weep hole, under the bike, in the front cover casing, and means the oil seal has gone, around the oil pump. it means taking the front cover off, replacing all o rings, seals, and while you are there, the water pump.

also the oil seal behind the gear shifter, this is pretty easy to fix, just remove the shifter lever, pull the old seal out and replace.

and the gasket between the valve cover, and head, again an easy fix, remove the valve cover, and replace. OEM seals and gaskets are best.

good luck,

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
You'll have to follow the drip home. :raspberry:
If it's external to the timing belt cover it should be fairly easy.
If it's internal to the timing belt cover you'll have to remove the cover and determine which of the three seals is leaking.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
First thing is to clean the oil up and run the engine with the bike stationary so that you don't have wind blowing the oil away from the source. One rule of thumb is, oil like excrement doesn't normally run uphill. If it's inside the belt housing you have the two seals already mentioned, the two cam shaft seals and the crank seal. Normally these aren't either expensive or difficult to change. If it's outside the timing case then look first at the rocker covers and the cone shaped seals around the rocker cover bolts. BTW - Be careful tightening the rocker cover bolts, they break off easily with over torqueing. One thing I do when installing new rocker cover gaskets is to glue the seals into the cover with a thin line of super glue. It makes it much easier to install the seals without having them twist or pop out of position as you snug them.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
If the leak is coming from inside the timing belt cover, there are not too many possibilities. Camshaft seal is one, crankshaft seal another. If the valve cover seals are leaking, the oil can't really get into the timing belt cover.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.