Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Just me.
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I had my wing runing yesterday, rough but running. Had to keep it choked. Added a little Seafoam to the tank and let it sit overnight. Wen I tried to start it today it ws fuel locked. Pulled the plugs and blew the gas out of the cyls. Dried off the plugs, and she started just like she always did,no choke. Could I possibly have a bad shutoff? Yes it was off over night.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
imported post

you can remove fuel line from fuel pump to petcock an see if it still leaks. if it was on side stand over nite sounds like float valve was stuck open. trash in fuel system. hope this helps.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
imported post

Could it be a kink in the cable not allowing it to close completely or a linkage issue? Choke cable issue?

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

think like oldfart1 said float. all cyls.?:action::waving:

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

:cheeky1: was a question but hey hadn't seen my luck lately:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::action::waving:

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

i believe it could be the fuel pump. letting it by pass, however, the needles in the floats should stop this also

mark:waving:

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
imported post

:jumper:learn a long time ago to turn of petcock an he said he did. if it was on side stand side then it filled left side cyclinders. when this starts happening you can bet there is trash involved. once i had this problem off came the carbs for cleaning. you can put a new filter on but tha trash has already hit its mark

·
Just me.
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Center stand, valve off, all cylinders. running great today. Love Seafoam.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
imported post

Good for you! A perfect example of K.I.S.S. Too many people want to go to drastic measures before they try the simple stuff. Another Seafoam believer.

·
Administrator
27,763 Posts
imported post

Gas in all the cylinders, suspect the seal between the plenum halves, and the petcock not shutting off completely. All the float valves leaking is just too much coincidence.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It's possible to get fuel in more than one cylinder with only one float valve leaking. If the bike is on the side stand a right side carb flooding can allow fuel into the plenum and from there it goes right into the left side. I had an '80 standard that did just that. In that bike's case it was the PO who left the petcock open all winter that caused it. A bit of grit can do the job too. That's why any carbureted engine that has a fuel tank mounted higher than the carb should have a shut off valve and that shut off valve ought to be shut off when the engine's not running. That's why it's there, you can't trust float valves not to leak a bit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.