Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Before I start tearing into the bike again, I thought I'd ask if any one knows.

It's a 96 GL1500 SE

The bike was running fine then one evening 2 weeks ago, on the highway it developed a really bad hesitation. No power at all when I accelerated. I was already at highway speed and when I went to accelerate, it really didn't have any get up and go.

So at first I was thinking trottle valves (diaphragms). Then someone suggested that it might be a fuel pump ready to go.

But a little more riding and I noticed some more things:
it is also hesitating at slow speeds also.
It will hesitate at any RPM when I accelerate. It doesn't matter if I'm at 1500 rpms or 5000 rpms.
It barely hesitates when I roll on the throttle slowly. Just twist lightly and it seems to have it's normal power (for light acceleration) in any RPM range.
If I accelerate hard, it bogs down, sputters, runs like ka ka, and it will stay bogged down the whole time I hold on the throttle until I let off the throttle. It will barely accelerate while like this. But if I roll off the throttle until it is in the light acceleration range, it clears right up and accelerates nicely.

So, like I said, I was thinking fuel delivery at first, but now I think it's a vacuum leak. The reason I don't think it's fuel delivery is because it does it at low RPMs and slow speed too. I figure that at low RPMs and slow speed it isn't using as much fuel as it uses at highway speed, so it must not be fuel.... Right?

But I am pretty good at tearing apart and putting back together. But when it comes to diagnosing, I don't have any skills.

So before I start taking things apart for a hit-and-miss marathon, I thought I would ask for advice.

Oh, I have run Seafoam in it, no improvement.

I have run some MMO in it, no improvement

I tried one ounce of 2 cycle oil, no improvment.

I have run3 tanks of gas since it started, andit hasn't changed, so I don't think it's bad fuel.

I replaced the fuel filter.

G

·
imported post

Mine was doing something like that.
I pulled the carbs for a cotmplette cleaning and boiling.
I noticed several vacuum lines colapsed and broken i changed 5 or 6 in all.
I changed it if it was on there lol.
Runs good as new now.
Also cleaned and boiled ny carbs and found small(minute rust particals) in the water.
So if you pull the carbs change the vacuum lines got all mine fron the local napa store.
Good luck.
TOMMY

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

I hate to say it but it may well be a leak. Don't forget to check the tube under the rubber work at the top of the inlet manifolds.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Wolfman, have you looked for output from your accellerator pump? (Not sure how much the 1996 should pump, but that's kinda what helps make the transition off-idle and for any rapid throttle opening.

Just thinking that it'd be something to check before you're elbow-deep in carb parts.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Hi wolfman as you are going to have to pull some plactic check the color of the plugs also take the hose from the petcock to the carbs and turn the engine over for a few seconds to make sure you have a good fuel delivery i dont go for the vacume leak asthe bike would idlevery rough or eratic but you can spray all the hoses ect with wd40 tomake sure if you have the air filter off get a syrange fill it with gas and shoot it into the carbs to see will it solve the probif so you will have to pull the carbs apart from the jets ect there is a small filter in the float valves make sure you clean them also

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Yeah, sounds like a fuel delivery problem.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
imported post

MINE WAS ACCEL VALVES, EASY FIX IF YOU HAVE REALLY SMALL HANDS.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Well sometimes things just don't go your way...

Tonight I had the ear of a really good and trusted mechanic. And I described it to him. He wasn't able to pin anything down, so I asked him to listen to the bike. He has an ear of gold and can call a vacuum leak from a hundred feet away. (Well he's done it for me before.;)) So I asked him to listen to the bike for me. We only had a few minutesand I was asking for free advice so I didn't askhim to test drive it. So I started it and he said the idle sounded great, and it didn't sound like a vacuum leak. So I revved it a few times and it sounded great all the wayup and down. So he couldn't offer an answer. It surprised me because it was not running smoothly at all before.Sowhen I went home, it ran perfect. I was trying to push it to repeat the symptoms so I could try to make a better description next time and it didn'tact up at all.

Doesn't it just figure? I get an opportunity to get some free advice from a goodmechanic and the bike quitsrunning badly. :gunhead:

Maybe the problem will just magically go away by itself.... or not...:)

If it comes back I'll post an update.

Thanks everyone.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Well, you can alway buy a nice helmet for your new best friend and have him ride along with you to ensure that the thnig keeps running smoothly... :)

Good to hear -- maybe one of the solvents finally go to the piece of crud wherever it was and has things back as they shoul be -- My fingers are crossed here & good luck !!

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

Sometimes you only need to utter the word "mechanic" or "garage" or "new bike" to get things running right.

It only goes to prove that bikes have feelings too. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.