Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

We've had a couple of warmish days,40's-50's. A few bikes are starting to come out. I took mine for a short test run after brake and front end repair over the winter. There have been a few Harleys rumbling by my house but they have been taking it easy due to the salt and sand still covering our roads not to mention what's left at the intersections. But the Zoom-Splats,popping wheelies,roaring down my street doing 60 in a 30 MPH zone, pulling in the clutch and bliping the throttle. These moronic kids are on my nerves allready!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
418 Posts
imported post

"Everybody has to meet their Waterloo..." Stonewall Jackson

but seriously, I'm glad that I'm just far enough north of you to be able say "no sports bikes yet!"
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
428 Posts
imported post

I agree, they pester me like wave runners on a lake when you're trying to water ski. However, I've seen some responsible sports bike drivers. The other day I coincidentally ended up on the same road at the same time as a young guy on a sports bike and we ended up riding several miles in tandem, both doing the speed limit!

Far too often I see them racing on the bend in the interstate outside my office . . . right by the cross where a sports bike rider had a fatal crash, I doubt they even see the cross.

Chuck
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,545 Posts
imported post

I,m far enough from any highway those don,t bother me at home ,,,its necks redder than mine that get me ,,, they like to ride dirt bikes without mufflers , ( very loud!) helmets or tags ,, ride up and down the steep hill I live on ,,,,it takes the cops 45 minutes to get here ,,, so I just stand there with a camera and take thier pictures ,, they only go by once that way ,,( a weekend anyway ),, they see me with a camera taking pics of them without helmets , tags even shoes and they go away .
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,104 Posts
imported post

Beautiful day, everyone had their bikes out. My wife & I enjoyed breakfast at IHOP and was walking to the car when I heard several Harleys fire up. These were all "Wild Hog" types...guys my age out on their bikes. What I don't understand is one guy fires his up and keeps revving the engine the whole time while the others are getting ready, then they fire up and it's a revving contest. They can't keep their hands off the throttle. Don't Harleys idle? It's always constant Vroom Vroom when ever they stop at lights or leaving or arriving somewhere. I've never understood that. :baffled:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
683 Posts
imported post

I ride a Zoom Splat but I try to be respectful of others around me. It's like anything else, 1 or 2 % of the people make the other 98% who are doing the right thing look bad. By the way my usual riding group consists of sport tourers, wings, and bmws.

Jeff
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
imported post

One zoom splat down. OPP had a radar set up and a tow truck was loading up a bike and the rider in the back of the cruiser. That should help our insurance increase to say the least.:X
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,401 Posts
imported post

The Lake wrote:
I agree, they pester me like wave runners on a lake when you're trying to water ski.

Hey, I don't pester folks skiing on the lake with my jet skis! Only a-holes do that, and sometimes they are not even PWC people. I've seen pontoons and bow riders screw up a good ski cove on occassion.



Stupid sport bikers and stupid PWC people ruin it for everyone. Both cases, usually folks too young to be on them anyway. BUT, there are good folks out there too.:action:



That 318...does it work pretty good as an anchor?:cheeky1::cooldevil:

(Just messing with you bud. I had a '85 MC 19'w/351C& powerslot when I used to ski/wakeboard seriously)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,919 Posts
imported post

The Lake wrote:
I agree, they pester me like wave runners on a lake when you're trying to water ski. . . . . . .
x2, Bro. Some bone headed broad almost rear-ended the Chris Craft last year. She was wake-hopping, and had her head turned around squawking at another parasite.



She just looked up in time to see I had stopped for a downed skier. Missed my transom by a couple feet, max.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,401 Posts
imported post

Me and a bud used to ski/wakeboard in his '92 MC on Lake Greenwood. It's a real narrow lake. We were the first folks to have a "Fat Sac" to make the wake bigger for wakeboarding. Pretty soon, pwc's started trying to jump our wake. One day we had enough and one jackass was trailing us and wouldn't give it up. He knew we were trying to lose him, so he followed harder and closer. My bud was doing about 45mph and snatched the wheel to the right. Pwc was following too close and had nowhere to go. He totaled his ride on a pier and was lucky not to be hurt...





...but he learned an important lesson about following the rules.:shock:



"No closer than 200' behind a boat under power and 100' from a dock."



Some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug.:cooldevil:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,244 Posts
imported post

98wing-487 you braught the movie wild hogs remember the saying poser thats all they are they need to be seen.



i wish one of theese days the cops will start ticketing any modified exaust



i like to ride and here whats going on aroud me it's a little hard to do with all the noisy bikes around



during harleys anniversarys i drive my truck with windows closed so i don't loose antmore of my hearing from the load noise
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,608 Posts
imported post

My neighbor has about 15 vehicles on and around his place. They all are driveable (barely).But what gets to me is, he either hacks the mufflers open, and they all sound like crap.They both leave early in the am and wake us up. He bought a real nice Camaro in great stock condition, and the first thing he did was hack big holes in the mufflers! And this guy is 50 years old! ???????????? jimsjinx
 

·
Village Whack Job...
Joined
·
7,908 Posts
imported post

AVA AUTO TECH wrote:
One zoom splat down. OPP had a radar set up and a tow truck was loading up a bike and the rider in the back of the cruiser. That should help our insurance increase to say the least.:X

Nope. Insurance claims raise the rates for everyone. Speeding tickets raise rates for the offender.

I'm not picking on you AVA but I have gotten pretty sick of people slinging blame for high insurance rates when they are wrong. Traffic tickets don't cost the insurance companies a dime. Accidents don't either, claims do. To many inflated claims are to blame for high insurance rates, and nothing else.

People are given discounts on their insurance for clean driving records. Therefor the guy getting tickets only hurts himself.

People who haveor cause accidents, yeah they are part of the problem because they facilitate the claims. Everyone gets greedy when they can file a claim, they want to get every penny they possibly can from an insurance claim. And those same people will bitch and moan and whine and cry about their insurance rates going up.

I have no problem with pointing fingers, as long as they are pointed at the right person.

So that guy who lost his bike and found himself under arrest didn't hurt you. And didn't deserve your bad feelings toward him. At least not for the reasons you state.

Putting others at riskthrough careless operation, sure hate him for that. But don't hate on the guy for something he isn't responsible for.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
720 Posts
imported post

I'll stand by the sport bike rider ,:waving:



I've seen good and bad example being set through out the motorcycling world not to mention other sports



There is hardly one among us who cannot look back at some point and say that was stupid or irresponsible of me. and what a foolI must have appeared .



Time providing and with luck , most of these young riders will become more responsible and continue to support the motorcycle industry



remember most of us did not start out on agoldwing .and I still own other bikes and enjoy a sport bike now and again after 40 years riding



Set a good example .You never know who's watching :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

picasso wrote:
I,m far enough from any highway those don,t bother me at home ,,,its necks redder than mine that get me ,,, they like to ride dirt bikes without mufflers , ( very loud!) helmets or tags ,, ride up and down the steep hill I live on ,,,,it takes the cops 45 minutes to get here ,,, so I just stand there with a camera and take thier pictures ,, they only go by once that way ,,( a weekend anyway ),, they see me with a camera taking pics of them without helmets , tags even shoes and they go away .
My house is like 15 feet from a busy village street and about 50 yards from an intersection. I've told police they can hide their car in my bushes and "officiate" the drag races any time they want.
 

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
Joined
·
60,150 Posts
imported post

wing ding wrote:
My house is like 15 feet from a busy village street and about 50 yards from an intersection. I've told police they can hide their car in my bushes and "officiate" the drag races any time they want.
I'm about the same here. Back fence is off Mesa Drive which marked is 45 which translates to 65 it seems like.

120 feet from the intersection from my residential area. Seemingly, it is impossible to navigate a 90 degree corner here without excessive power being applied while making the turn. And it must be impossible to change gears until the engine RPMs exceed 8,000 or so.

I hear them start the turn, and they are clear past my house before they make the first shift.

For just plain ole irritating noise, the smaller import cars with manual gears, and dinky "mufflers" that are added to the rear of the tail pipe are the worst.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,614 Posts
imported post

I have to agree with chdeshm, on this one. I remember all to fell, and fondly I must admit of my own adventures when I started riding. My first bike was 100 cc Bultaco Alpina, it was fast and loud, in fact we weren't allowed to start riding before 10 am. We were out in the country, but there were neighbors to consider, but at 10:01 my brothers and I were out. Now, I'm still out in the country and there are farms with kids, and those kids are riding their own dirt bikes, and they are loud and fast. Yes, it can be annoying, but I remember my own young days and the folks were tolerant of us, how can I be any less than they were. The truth is watch and wish I were yong enough to be foolish enough to join them.

C'mon guys, are we all getting that old that we can't remember what being young was all about. When everyday was an oppurtunity for adventure and carefree fun. Let'em have fun, and yes try to set an example, remember our heads when we were that age? How did we react to some old fart always complaining? But then, how did we react to someone who stopped off, admired our bikes, talked a bit about what they rode and then slipped in a little talk about responsibility, courtesy and how to think and behave when around other peoples homes.

Remember these kids are future riders, it falls on US to teach them, and they like us are teachable. We just have to remember what would and would not have worked with us at that age.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
AVA AUTO TECH wrote:
One zoom splat down. OPP had a radar set up and a tow truck was loading up a bike and the rider in the back of the cruiser. That should help our insurance increase to say the least.:X

Nope. Insurance claims raise the rates for everyone. Speeding tickets raise rates for the offender.

I'm not picking on you AVA but I have gotten pretty sick of people slinging blame for high insurance rates when they are wrong. Traffic tickets don't cost the insurance companies a dime. Accidents don't either, claims do. To many inflated claims are to blame for high insurance rates, and nothing else.

People are given discounts on their insurance for clean driving records. Therefor the guy getting tickets only hurts himself.

People who haveor cause accidents, yeah they are part of the problem because they facilitate the claims. Everyone gets greedy when they can file a claim, they want to get every penny they possibly can from an insurance claim. And those same people will bitch and moan and whine and cry about their insurance rates going up.

I have no problem with pointing fingers, as long as they are pointed at the right person.

So that guy who lost his bike and found himself under arrest didn't hurt you. And didn't deserve your bad feelings toward him. At least not for the reasons you state.

Putting others at riskthrough careless operation, sure hate him for that. But don't hate on the guy for something he isn't responsible for.
Hello Broke. When you get tickets here it effects there insurance rates and ours. According to the locale police dept, 95% bike incident are sport bikes with the age group of 16 to 26 yrs old. The insurance companies know this and will not separate the types of bikes into categories so we here all suffer with increased rates. As for the guy that I talked about loosing his bike, I was told he had no insurance and had got stopped doing 115km in a school 60km zone. We all speed at one time, I'll agree I do speed. But within reason and common sense. Thanks for your input. Tony
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,137 Posts
imported post

A bunch of us, 60, went for a sport bike ride yesterday from Sacramento to Bodega Bay for a chowder lunch. It was a great ride.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
428 Posts
imported post

SB in SC wrote:
The Lake wrote:
I agree, they pester me like wave runners on a lake when you're trying to water ski.

Hey, I don't pester folks skiing on the lake with my jet skis! Only a-holes do that, and sometimes they are not even PWC people. I've seen pontoons and bow riders screw up a good ski cove on occassion.



Stupid sport bikers and stupid PWC people ruin it for everyone. Both cases, usually folks too young to be on them anyway. BUT, there are good folks out there too.:action:



That 318...does it work pretty good as an anchor?:cheeky1::cooldevil:

(Just messing with you bud. I had a '85 MC 19'w/351C& powerslot when I used to ski/wakeboard seriously)
SB

Agreed, it's not just jet skis--tubers can really mess up some great water!

I love my old 318, sounds great and pulls like a horse. I can take the funnin' about it though. Too bad, both Chrysler and Ford have pretty much left the inboard scene. My old 68 doesn't produce anywhere near as good a wake as the new boats, but it is a lot of fun.

Chuck
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top