Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I've been waiting to make this report after a couple years trying to make a decision on what type of intercom system to add to my bike that came with no electronics whatsoever.

When I first got the bike I put a car type tape deck in the left hand pocket, speakers and a little amp and it works fine. I put the antenae in the fairing. Also have XM radio hard wired in.

Then I wired in a headphone jack and put headphones in the helmets...has worked fine for many rides. Have replaced the headphones a few times, but they are cheap.

After I purchased "trooper type" helmets with the neck and ear "curtains" it made putting the speakers in easy. You just tear the headphones apart and slide the speakers in.

Still, however, no communication between me and the wife besides yelling.

I got serious at the beginning of the year and really wanted to add a communication system that would allow me to integrate my present stereo system and maybe plug in a cell phone.

At first I thought about the bluetooth, but I don't want to mess with recharging. I also wanted it to be solely run off bike power, no batteries.

J&M has a couple different options...the handlebar CB system they have would be perfect, but too pricey for me. The other cheaper system would probably work, but was more portable than I wanted.

I finally bought the IMC MIT-30. It comes with 2 headset/mics and the box.

The box is hardwired to the battery, and you can put it whereever you can find a spot. I had to order an additional lower cable to reach the pillion.

The "jacks" are really strong with no little pins to get broke. they look like "firewire" plugs, if you know what those are.

You can add an outside music source, like an mp3 player, but remember, I wanted to integrate with my car stereo/xm system.

I was able to accomplish this by purchasing a "negative ground adapter" off ebay, wiring it in to the rear channels and then to the IMC box. Works like a charm. I had to call IMC to learn what I needed, they said to get the adapter from Radio Shak...think again...maybe in 1977. Anyway, you can get one on ebay.

Oh, I originally bought the half-helmet/no helmet head units. Since that is the kind of helmet I have. But wearing them for any length of time is painful becuase they clamp around the back of your head. So I bought the normal ones instead and made them work in my helmet...just have to be a little creative.

Anyway, the whole system works really good B+...I can have a conversation at 70 miles an hour easy. The box has no adjustments, controls on it whatsoever...it just knows, and works really well.

ONE MAJOR modification that I had to make was this. The system is designed to self mute when you talk. The music goes down in volume and comes back after you stop speaking. This works fine at low speed. On the highway the wind noise plays havoc with the thing unless it is a very calm day.

SO...I added switches to the mics to turn them on and off. When they are off you can listen to the music with no worries about the wind noise. Turn them back on and talk with no problems. This worked great. If anyone is interested I can give more detail about how I did this.

All in all I am really satisfied with how the thing works, around 150 bucks is a good deal.

Hope this helps anyone who may be thinking about how to add a comm system to their bike.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,505 Posts
imported post

`
.Very good write up, and thanks for the detail. This should help a lot of folks in the future.

I will index it so it can be found easier.
:leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

Tinman,

Nice write-up. Is there anyway to make this setup work with existing J&M 5 pin headsets? I already have those in our helmets but I would love to equip my Shadow with a "system"; but I would need to find a way that would also work with my existing helmets/headsets.

thanks,

JimC in NC (USA)

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

IMC may have a lower cord that will attach to j&m headsets, if so you can make this work. Different companies sell IMC...try Whitehorse or just google IMC MIT-30

·
Vendor
680 Posts
imported post

There are no adapter cables from IMC to adapt the dynamic mic J&M headsets to any of the IMC components which require an electrec mic. I am not saying that it cannot be done but just that IMC does not offer one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.