Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

How much does it cost in terms of import duty of getting items of chrome from the US etc? :?

Adrian :waving:

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
imported post

I have not yet been charged any import duty or VAT, if you dont go mad, and keep the value down...

Several small orders is better than one big...

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

If they get you, you pay duty on the invoice value plus postage. I think duty is about 8%, you then get charged VAT 17.5% on the total.

Postage from USA has rocketed this year and it is almost reaching the point where it isn't worth the hassle.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
imported post

I have just had delivered a GL1500 screen from Cyclemax.
Total value of order was $192 (near as dammit £100) didn't pay any import duty,this saved me £75 on what I was quoted from a UK dealer.
As I understand it the threshold level is £36,if you get hammered,the duty will be added to the value of the package (goods inc.postage),then VAT is payable on the total of this.In addition a brokerage fee will be payable,this varies with different carriers,I have paid as little as £7 and as much as £24,this fee is to cover the cost of the carriers paying the import duty and VAT and associated paperwork.
Bear in mind that sometimes you will get hit and others you won't,and even if you do you will still save around 25-30% on UK prices.
I have never had anything other than superb service from dealers in the US,and have no hesitation in continuing to buy my goodies from there or recommending it to others.

Regards Steve

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
imported post

I have never paid duty at all because my supplier in the States told me to keep value below £100 or €150 and that way I don't take a beating on import duty. He will even send 2 different packages if my value is too high.:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

cbltech59 wrote:
I have never paid duty at all because my supplier in the States told me to keep value below £100 or €150 and that way I don't take a beating on import duty. He will even send 2 different packages if my value is too high.:cool:
Nice one.

Who's your supplier then? :jumper:Or are you not willing to divulge :cheeky1:

Adrian

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

i bought quite a lot of stuff in 2 goes from the states, i know if you buy in smaller quantities you can get away with it but then you pay more postage. I worked out mine to be whatever the price of the stuff was and times by 1.4, so for example if the goods were £500 then expect to pay £700 thats thier postage, import duty, VAT and beleive it or not you have to pay postage from customs opening it to your house by royal mail. Its probably best as the guys do to keep the orders small

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Well all the gear arrived last week and no duty to pay,:D am I lucky or what :clapper:

Crezz

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
imported post

Crezz wrote:
Well all the gear arrived last week and no duty to pay,:D am I lucky or what :clapper:

Crezz
You where lucky, don't rely on it, HMRCE are getting more vigilant as the economic climate titghtens

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
imported post

:(ive had a package today from the USA,, last week i had to pay £27.50 to parcel force,,,,£14.50 in VAT and the rest for handling:baffled:,, lots of small orders are no good any more, when the standard shipping is $61,,, there was a sticker on the parcel,from the good people at HMC, saying anything now over £18 will be subject to VAT and handling charges,,, looks like its just a sign of the times, and customs are having a clamp down:p

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I was very lucky then, because my order came to $509 and that was showing quite clearly on the box of goddies :jumper:.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
imported post

stevehmagentase wrote:
I have just had delivered a GL1500 screen from Cyclemax.
Total value of order was $192 (near as dammit £100) didn't pay any import duty,this saved me £75 on what I was quoted from a UK dealer.
As I understand it the threshold level is £36,if you get hammered,the duty will be added to the value of the package (goods inc.postage),then VAT is payable on the total of this.In addition a brokerage fee will be payable,this varies with different carriers,I have paid as little as £7 and as much as £24,this fee is to cover the cost of the carriers paying the import duty and VAT and associated paperwork.
Bear in mind that sometimes you will get hit and others you won't,and even if you do you will still save around 25-30% on UK prices.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f8"The threshold level is £18 from a dealer or £36 from a private party i just got stung about two weeks ago
I have never had anything other than superb service from dealers in the US,and have no hesitation in continuing to buy my goodies from there or recommending it to others.

Regards Steve

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
imported post

pinkpork wrote:
:(ive had a package today from the USA,, last week i had to pay £27.50 to parcel force,,,,£14.50 in VAT and the rest for handling:baffled:,, lots of small orders are no good any more, when the standard shipping is $61,,, there was a sticker on the parcel,from the good people at HMC, saying anything now over £18 will be subject to VAT and handling charges,,, looks like its just a sign of the times, and customs are having a clamp down:p
I have just recieved a tee-shirt and mug from Digital Brushes (ones that have been shown on forum)

http://www.digitalbrushes.com/ecommerce/categories.php?cat=123

Cost $46 + shipping $22.80 clearly printed on label NO customs or VAT.

So it seems to me that stuff is still getting through without incurring charges,just "pot luck"whether you get caught or not.

Regards Steve.

ps anyone thinking of getting any of these items,they really are very good.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
imported post

It's the same for stuff coming into Canada from the US.
It seems totally random whether I get dinged for Duty, Fed sales tax & Provincial sales tax.
Most things get in without any surcharge.

The one that really pisses me off are the "brokerage fees" charged by UPS & Fedex on anything over $19CAD !!!!

I agree about the increase in shipping charges by USPS. No bargain anymore, but still a lot cheaper than sending from Canada to the US by Canada Post.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.