Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi All.

I am new here and I am desperate in need of some help.

I am the proud owner of a Honda Goldwing GL1800 Air. I bought it in New York with the view to import it to Australia where I live.
Few hurdles (lots) but what I need help with is a change of the speedometer dial from mph to Km/h. It has both at the moment but the requirement here in Australia require the Km/h to be the predominant numbers.
Any ideas where I can get one or how to fix that?
Cheers all.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
imported post

Hi

welcome to forum.

You will need to change the meter panel or the dial.

The meter panel part number should be something like 37110-MCA-R41

or R51 or R61.
These run at around 400 dollars in us.
It may be worth having a word with your local honda dealer to check part number and price.

Failing that could you make up some sort of overlay that sticks to the front dial (at least as a temporary fix whilst approval is done.)

Also I take it you have checked with importation regs as to what else is required, I hear the authorities are very strict on what they will and will not allow these days.

I guy from Aus bought a porche car from me some year back (whilst I was in UK) and had to go through hoops to get it into system before they changed it and made it also impossible to do a personal import.

failing that you could ship it to spain for me :)

good luck

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Welcome and congradts on your purchase. You might find one on ebay from a wreck. Other years might work. Best to you on it.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
imported post

Good luck - Queensland needs all the Goldwings it can get & you've got a great area to ride around

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Some of the European guys were buying the speedometer face with the kilometers and fitting them in place of the miles face.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
imported post

One thing is for sure. You need to find a way....even if you have to rent on of those drug planes to smuggle that bike.

Very nice.

RED

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,768 Posts
imported post

Do they not sellHondas in Australia? I would think it would be simple enough to just buy the correct speedo from an Auzzi dealer and put it in the bike.

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
imported post

Hi btgd,I have a 1988gl1500 which has a speedometer which has the dominant speed indicator numbers in miles per hour(larger easier to read white numbers)while also having blue smaller less easy to read(to me)kilometres per hour numbers.The odometer is calibrated in miles.This bike has Australian Compliance(in 2008 from memory).

·
Registered
22 Posts
MPH / KM conversion

Sir:
Nice bike indeed... I have the opposite problem. I bought a bike that was made in Canada, to ride in the USA. If you don't have your problem solved yet, we could swap parts.

or, if you replaced the MPH guages, I might buy them from you... or at least let me know how you fixed it.

Thanks,
Mr. Troll

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
Oh no! A Troll!

Sorry, just had to do that.:lash: Welcome to the forum Mr Troll.

this is a 3 year old post and he hasn't posted again since this his first post. Plus the forum went through a change 2 years ago so he may not get notified of your post. The best option would be for you to send him a pm to get a hold of him.

Sir:
Nice bike indeed... I have the opposite problem. I bought a bike that was made in Canada, to ride in the USA. If you don't have your problem solved yet, we could swap parts.

or, if you replaced the MPH guages, I might buy them from you... or at least let me know how you fixed it.

Thanks,
Mr. Troll

·
Registered
22 Posts
did you ever get this fixed?? nto sure of the dates, but I have a Canadian bike, that is now in the USA... I need to go from KM to MPH. Still have the old parts?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have noticed quite a few "One Hit Wonders", who pop in, ask a question, or need advise, and are never, ever heard from again.

Hope they get what was needed in that short period...

Cosmo

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
I have noticed quite a few "One Hit Wonders", who pop in, ask a question, or need advise, and are never, ever heard from again.

Hope they get what was needed in that short period...

Cosmo
I sent Mr Troll a pm asking if he had his preferences setup to receive an email notification when someone posts. That's probably why your statement holds true.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.