Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well folks, the forum upgrade has revealed that the server is struggling to keep up with all the members and visitors online at peak times. When we moved to this dedicated server in June last year, I expected that it would be able to keep up with the growth of the forum anduntil recentlyit has done very well. But it's started to slow down again to the point where it interferes with your enjoyment here and so I have decided to pay Jim at Ultra to move us to a much bigger and faster server which will again be dedicated, ie only we will be hosted there. I have to apologize for dragging you through another move, but I didn't anticipate that the forum would just keep on getting busier and busier and I really need to make the move now before biking season starts in earnest at Springtime which usually results in more visitors here.

Now I know thata few of you (quiet please Redwing :))will be asking "why didn't you move to the biggest server in the first place" and the short answer is that I couldn't afford to at the time, back at the end of May last year. The server we are on now costs $115 a month and the next one up was $230 and that was too steep for me. But Jim has agreed to do a dealand knocked a bit off soit will becosting $200 per month which is much more managable.You guys donated enough last year (with Calhoun and elsewhere) so that we are paid up to the end of this year at the current $115 rate, so I've only had tostump up $1200 myselftoday which pays for the new server and also tops up the hosting for all of 2009. So the bottom line is that we are still paid up for all of this year and for the server move.

Now please note that this is NOT an appeal for donations. You guys already did enough and I have to play my own part and dig into my pocket, so don't all start running over to Paypal now as the bills are alreadypaid. If I need help for the 2010 hosting bills I will ask in due course, but forthis yeareverything is sorted out.

Now as to the server move itself, it should be happening this weekend. I will let you know the day and time when Jim gets back to me. It shouldn't take as long as the last move (which only saw the forum down for I think 9 hours) and Jim has assured me that the forum speed willl be greatly improved even at peak times.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
imported post

Are we growing that quickly then? All good stuff :clapper:

Thank you Steve, this is a brilliant place :clapper::clapper::clapper:

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

wingnut wrote:
Now I know thata few of you (quiet please Redwing :))will be asking "why didn't you move to the biggest server in the first place" and the short answer is that I couldn't afford to at the time, back at the end of May last year. The server we are on now costs $115 a month and the next one up was $230 and that was too steep for me. But Jim has agreed to do a dealand knocked a bit off soit will becosting $200 per month which is much more managable.You guys donated enough last year (with Calhoun and elsewhere) so that we are paid up to the end of this year at the current $115 rate, so I've only had tostump up $1200 myselftoday which pays for the new server and also tops up the hosting for all of 2009. So the bottom line is that we are still paid up for all of this year and for the server move.

Now please note that this is NOT an appeal for donations. You guys already did enough and I have to play my own part and dig into my pocket, so don't all start running over to Paypal now as the bills are alreadypaid. If I need help for the 2010 hosting bills I will ask in due course, but forthis yeareverything is sorted out.
[align=center]I knew it!! I knew it!!! :shock: I always get the blame when something goes wrong:([/align]
[align=center]Heck!! Thats a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ you gotta pay wingnut :stumped:[/align]
[align=center]I will donate a few bucks through the forum button :cool:[/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center]
[/align]

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
imported post

wingnut wrote:

Steve,

BlueWinger and I have only been on the Forum a short while but have enjoyed it immensely. You do a great job with it and it is deeply appreciated. Per your request we will not go running over to Paypal now BUT....do not hesitate to make the request as soon as the need arises and we and I'm sure many others who enjoy the Forum will head straight over to Paypal and offer up the needed funds. Thanks again for all of your hard work.:bowing:

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

yeah--what wild wing lady said !

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
imported post

I know that when you need to ask for help you will not be disappointed by the Goldwing Family you have created.

Thanks again for all your hard work :action:

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
imported post

Yep just let me know when ya need it. This is the best site and Iwant to keep it around. So just holler when you need help. Be glad to.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

Thanks for what all y'all do here, making this the best and only Goldwing forum I frequent. Biscuits to you (Kudos are overrated and biscuits are more filling anyways)...

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
imported post

This all sounds "KEWLLLLLL". I'm all for it:clapper:

Jen ;)

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

I good for it, I really enjoy this place and it's become family, I'm in, just say the word.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
imported post

You can ring my bell anytime and I will answer Steve. Love this place. Any time you need help just ring the bell!:bowing:

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
imported post

When you need it, we'll respond. Hate to see you lay out $1200 now. We could cover that in a few hours I bet. I know I'll cough up whenever you need it. I couldn't manage without my daily doses of this site.

Many thanks for all you do.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Thanks Steve. Your generosity here never ceases to amaze me. You have provided a great place for us and out of your own resources. I tooam grateful for all you've done. Just say the word when you need some help and I'll do what I can as well.

John

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
imported post

I think that we all agree Steve. This has to be the best Goldwing forum/ family, on the internet. Whenever you need help, be certain that all of us will do what we can to meet the need.

Cobra

:15grey:

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
imported post

Ditto to all of the above! Well, most of the above. :sozzled:

Great job Steve!!!!!! :clapper:

It took almost 3 minutes to load the reply page and I have a pretty fast
DSL speed. :(

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
imported post

An unexpected out of pocket for $1200.00 is a pretty good chunk of change for nearly anyone in our present time of money problems, so I'm not going to wait for the "Call to Action". At 13,641 members 11.5 cents each would cover the upgrade.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.