Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Dear Honda,

Having noticed the multitude of motorcycle/deer accidents reported in this very forum over the last year, it has come to my mind that Honda could again be on the cutting edge of motorcycle safety, very much like the airbag system on the GL1800.

What I propose is a HUD (Head Up Display) displayed FLIR (Forward Looking Infra Red) for Deer (pronounced Fleer For Deer) system.

Such a system would only display on the windshield items who's temperatures are different from the ambient temperature of the area being ridden in. This system would need an intensity adjustment that would allow the display to be bright enough to be visible in bright sunlight, yet turned down to a more comfortable viewing level after dark.

This system would also need to display in such a manner as to be an "overlay" to the current road in the driver's sight through the windshield. It should also be packaged as an option for purchase much like the GPS system so that riders who do not feel the need for such a thing aren't "forced" to have it, while those of us who ride in highly deer populated areas would have it available to us.

Let's face it, nobody likes to see a motorcyclist injured or killed. Many times the motorcyclist who hit the deer didn't even see it because it was down in the ditch, in deep grass, and didn't spring out until it was too late to avoid it. With an infra-red heat detecting system, that rider would have been warned well in advance that something large and warm was lurking deep in the ditch up the road, giving the rider ample opportunity to slow, evade, and avoid a collision.

Several luxury sedans and SUVs in the US already have similar systems available, and have been quite popular and successful. I believe the manufacturer of the only true Luxury Motorcycle should step up it's efforts to keep it's riders and customers as safe as possible and seriously consider this as a viable option for future Goldwings.

Respectfully,

MDKramer

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

Wow, I wonder what that option would cost?

Deer are completely stupid, I've had a close call once myself and it was in broad daylight too!

I've tried to fool myself into believing that my passive deer whistles are protecting me.

You can also add a electric deer whistle as well for about $50. I don't know how effective they are.

Have any of you guys run with the electric whistle?

Daveo

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

What you need is one that will project into the future about 10 seconds. Them suckers are fast.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

We had some things like that in the military. Used to use them on chopper patrols to locate the NVA. They also use them in some of the wildlife departments in the civilian world to survey deer populations.

The thing is like Rudy says: Those suckers are fast!! The deer I hit about 7 years ago was just instantly there, I had time to only sit up straight, hang on and hit it square. I never went down, but it completely folded the front forks up under the bike. I honestly do not think I could have avoided it.

The thing is with the current designs even if they could be scaled down for use on small vehicles, they work on a certain cone angle of signal and reception. So a deer down in a ditch in some brush, would actually be out of the cone angle and not sensed. If it so chooses to run out in front of you when you are six feet from it...uh oh! For example at 1000 feet the sensor area signal is about 200 feet in diameter. At 100 feet the sensor receives only a 20 foot radius. Scaled down it would be smaller.

Sonar or air (radar) is also subject to objects between the organic object sensed (deer or human) and the signal is blocked. Some sound systems can penetrate objects even solid rock, but their signal length is not very far, maybe 25 feet.

Also more than just sensing deer it would also sense all humans riding in a car. So if rigged to an audible signal, beep, it would be beeping all the time.

So that is the challenge, how to increase the cone angles to work on a spread area, and how to separate humans, deer, and objects and only have an audible signal for a deer.

Anyone smart enough to accomplish this would be rich, I suppose just about every biker would buy one.

Kit

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I'll be honest here, the deer thing was pretty much tongue in cheek, and pointed at the fact that there HAVE been a ton of posts about bike/deer collisions recently. But the concept of a HUD/FLIR system was actually serious.

I realize that FLIR, like any other mechanical viewing technology, has it's limitations. I don't know that an audible beep would be anything but annoying in some circumstances, but on a dark road, at 2am, any moving heat signature at the edge of the cone (which I'm assuming will, like in some of the helicopter mounted units, extend beyond my headlight) flashed up on my windscreen will get my attention and alert me that I need to be ready to react accordingly...As opposed to having Rocky Raccoon standing in the middle of the road munching on some road-kill stew suddenly appearing at the edge of my headlight, too close for me to react to him.

I also realize that there would be blind spots. An overlay type display would limit the field of view to what a rider sees through their windscreen only. Not much protection from the deer that comes barreling full speed across the field to your right on a 90 degree angle to you, with timing just perfect to put him in your front wheel...But for the one standing on or near the edge of the road waiting to be spooked into jumping in front of you, a few extra seconds of warning could be all you need to avoid tearing up your bike, and yourself.

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

I was hoping for a front mounted Gatlin gun, like the GE electric mini cannon. Of course, then one saddlebag would be full of ammo, so you'd lose some storage space.:shock:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Personally Sean, I'd love forward and rearward firing heat seekers...but I doubt very much Honda would take that request seriously.:cheeky1:

Mike

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
imported post

I wonder how they would react to the sound of a pack of wolfs approching if you had a low freq sound being transmitted from the bike?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

Kit,

My fish finder distinguishes between small fish an BIG fish. Could I mount it on my wing? Might be the best option. I can never catch the suckers that show up on that thing (maybe if I could get it out of DEMO mode?)so maybe I'd have no luck in hitting anything that popped up on the screen :)

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I think mounting that fishfinder on the wing would be just as productive as on the boat. I have one of those things too, shows all kinds of fish under the boat. I am convinced it lies to me. :) As many fish as it shows one should be able to just snag one I would think!!

I still think about this from time to time, have been lazy basically. I will go around Christmas time and spend some time at the University Library. So far everything I have found is very, very expensive.

Maybe sonar is an idea, bats use it, this is a feasible idea, if one can figure it out .

Kit

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Well this idea sounds good to us normal dummies until you really get into it and do a bit of research. There are a lot of people in this world and a lot of ideas. This one has been thought of and even tried. It will not fly, this dog will not hunt.

I have an friend the is one of the development engineers for Hummingbird depth finders and sonar location devices. I had not seen him for two years as one does get out of touch and I have not participated in many bass tournaments like I used to, but I gave him a call this morning.

It is all a good idea, and in fact some things have been designed and used by researchers in many ways, for example one is to make surveys of existing deer populations while flying around in a chopper. Both sonar and heat devices are currently used for this.

Thing is bottom line to keep a long story short, a deer can appear almost instantly from a roadside depression, or ditch or from behind bushes or an obstruction and therefore the warning system would not work well. If such a system were put on the market, it is his feelings that it would be lawsuit city. Someone would rely on it, and when it did not work then the lawsuits would be the next complication.

So in the design and production of products, there is always the public factor. How will the public perceive this and how will the public react. What kind of liability is garnered by the production of a product. That is a main concern with any product.

I have simply found out it has been discussed, looked at and rejected by folks much smarter than I.

As a deer can appear, as I well know from personal experience, almost instantly, just all of a sudden there it is, I fully understand what he is telling me. No device can or could sense the impossible.

Respectfully

Kit

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

SB in SC wrote:
I was hoping for a front mounted Gatlin gun, like the GE electric mini cannon. Of course, then one saddlebag would be full of ammo, so you'd lose some storage space.:shock:
.....not sure how well this would work on the deer :shock:, BUT I would just "LOVE IT" for those stupid idiots who look directly at you when you are coming down the road and STILL pull out in front of you !!!.........I'm tired of pulling leather seat cusion out of my "butt hole".:X

....by the way, Mike, I think that would still be a good idea. ANY warning at all would be better than NO WARNING....1/2 second warning could be the difference between 'Life & Death' !

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

"I have simply found out it has been discussed, looked at and rejected by folks much smarter than I." Kit Carson (Guru)

Say it ain't so! Smarter than our GURU!? ;)

·
Premium Member
10,010 Posts
imported post

MDKramer wrote:
Dear Honda,

Having noticed the multitude of motorcycle/deer accidents reported in this very forum over the last year, it has come to my mind that Honda could again be on the cutting edge of motorcycle safety, very much like the airbag system on the GL1800.

What I propose is a HUD (Head Up Display) displayed FLIR (Forward Looking Infra Red) for Deer (pronounced Fleer For Deer) system.

Such a system would only display on the windshield items who's temperatures are different from the ambient temperature of the area being ridden in. This system would need an intensity adjustment that would allow the display to be bright enough to be visible in bright sunlight, yet turned down to a more comfortable viewing level after dark.

This system would also need to display in such a manner as to be an "overlay" to the current road in the driver's sight through the windshield. It should also be packaged as an option for purchase much like the GPS system so that riders who do not feel the need for such a thing aren't "forced" to have it, while those of us who ride in highly deer populated areas would have it available to us.

Let's face it, nobody likes to see a motorcyclist injured or killed. Many times the motorcyclist who hit the deer didn't even see it because it was down in the ditch, in deep grass, and didn't spring out until it was too late to avoid it. With an infra-red heat detecting system, that rider would have been warned well in advance that something large and warm was lurking deep in the ditch up the road, giving the rider ample opportunity to slow, evade, and avoid a collision.

Several luxury sedans and SUVs in the US already have similar systems available, and have been quite popular and successful. I believe the manufacturer of the only true Luxury Motorcycle should step up it's efforts to keep it's riders and customers as safe as possible and seriously consider this as a viable option for future Goldwings.

Respectfully,

MDKramer
with all due respect mike, to implement this concept would only make the pleasure of being in the wind very much akin to driving a car.....where do the similarities end and the freedom begin :baffled:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

wpgfire wrote:
"I have simply found out it has been discussed, looked at and rejected by folks much smarter than I." Kit Carson (Guru)

Say it ain't so! Smarter than our GURU!? ;)
:D

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

I personally have a “professional” working the front and back and side yard in the real hopes of reducing my (and your) odds of an “incident”

I think the solution is to eat more wildmeat :badgrin:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.