Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all, I have an announcement to make.

After seeing goldwingfacts.com grow far bigger than I ever expected, with the ever increasing demands on time and family commitments that goes with such growth, I have decided to pass this fine resource over to new management. Goldwingfacts.com is now part of the Motorcycle.com family of websites.

After lengthy negotiations, I believe thatthe new managementare capable of adapting to the always growing requirements of our fine Goldwing community resource, something Ihave beenincreasing and frustratinglyunable to do. We moved server on June 6th and the site is now residing on two of theirservers. We could never have afforded dual servers on donations,which is essential to cure long-running issues of slowness as the forum gets bigger. The days of me constantly having to upgrade and change servers while balancing increasing costs against available funds and donations are at an end. The IT professionals at Motorcycle.com will be able to cater for this and fix technical issues far better than I was ever able to, and at their own expense instead of ours.

Now I know that many of you will fear an avalanche of advertisements on the forum (as I did), but I have been told by the new management that won't be the case. I havebeen involved inlong discussions on this and related matters andbeen assured by the new management thatthe forumwill remain the way it is right now until we migrate to vb or something better. They won't make any gradual changes onto the site unless or otherwise noted with us first and get our opinions. Ads wouldn't be plastered all over the place for members. As far as I see it coming, most small ads will only be visible for guest visitors on the site. But once a memberis logged in, everything will remain as close as possible tothe way you see it now, with minimal adverts.
Your privacy settings will alsobe respected by the new management, and I would ask you all to bear with them while we are fully settled onto their servers and some teething problems are worked out. The bottom line is that the future of this resource is now secured permanently, regardless of what happens to me or any one of us.
It actually saddens me to be typing this message and I never thought this day would come. But I have to be realistic and not be selfish, this forum is bigger than any one of us and needs to have its future set in stone.

I want to give my heartfelt thanks to all of you forum members and supporters who continue to make this community what it is, the best Goldwing community forum ever. Since it started as a humble homepage in July 1999, I have made many friends through this resource, been to countries and places I would never otherwise have travelled to, and met the nicest people, fellow Goldwingers and their families.

My special thanks to the moderating team who have always been there for all of us, through thick and thin. On many many days I came home from working often seven days a week,and spent long hours fixing things on the forum or adding things to it, often working until well after midnight. The moderating team took care of everything else while I was busy, and without them I would most definitely have given up in frustration and closed the forum on a couple of occasions. Most of you have no idea of the amount of time and work that these dedicated to the forum. Thanks Ciaran, Bill, John, Claude and Mike for all you have done over the years.

I will still be here on the forum, available as usual by PM or email. I will however now have more time to do what I always liked doing, that is creating new articles and videos for our site and forum.

Thank you all once again, for helping to make goldwingfacts.com the best Goldwing technical and family resource on the internet.

Now I would also like to introduce Marco, a forum manager with Motorcycle.com who will be joining the staff here as an Administrator. Marco's username is Wingmin. He will provide assistance for all web base inquiries, issues, and suggestions revolving around Goldwingfacts.com
Just so you all know, the day to day running of the forum will still be done by the moderating team and myself. Marco will pop in once a day to see if we need anything.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

Well done Steve.

Bienvenido Marco!

:claps::bow::claps::bow::claps::bow::claps::bow:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Had to happen sooner or later. Better now while you still have some life in you to live for yourself and Dylan.
Thank you for what you have built and cared about for us.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
imported post

You've done a great job over the years.

A big 3 Cheers to you and the other running this forum in the past!

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
imported post

Steve

I just want to say THANK YOU, for all you have done to make this site what it is.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
imported post

Congratulations Steve. No offence to the new management, but I hope you took them to the cleaners.

Seeing how the server speed has got better in the week since we moved to the dual servers, I guess the move was a good thing.
Thanks for getting all the assurances for us that you did before making the move. I know I am not the only member who hopes you and Dylan stay around here.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Marco/wingmin. We are an easy bunch to get along with, and if all the moderators are good with the idea then you have a fine crew to help and guide you along.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
imported post

Wow, you could have bowled me over with a feather when I read this.
I've read through your post twice Steve, and I'm fine with this. It's obvious you put heart and soul into this place since 1999, and you deserve a break. Thanks for all you have done for us, and for getting us the best deal and assurances you could for us going forward. Dual-servers cost big money and reading between the lines, you were never going to be able to afford that even with the donations.

With the future of the forum guaranteed, that's more than enough to compensate for a few ads whenever they arrive.

Welcome aboard Marco. I have to echo Joe's post in that you have an excellent forum to run, and a dedicated and loyal crew. We don't always agree with them, but their loyalty and dedication to this forum and members are to be commended.

Oh yes, and I hope Steve mugged you during the negotiations. :cheeky1:

·
Administrator
1,116 Posts
imported post

Hey guys! thank you for the warm welcome... I look forward to be part of this forum, this community :) There are not much words that could come out from me as Steve had said it all above. Thank you Steve and the amazing staff for making this forum the way it is now and for future growth!

Don't be shy to PM me for any concerns, ideas, site issues, whatever it is...

Marco

·
Administrator
20,568 Posts
imported post

SabreJoe wrote:
Welcome to the forum Marco/wingmin. We are an easy bunch to get along with, and if all the moderators are good with the idea then you have a fine crew to help and guide you along.
Hey Joe, we are good with it after Steve explained it to us. What Steve has done (besides give himself a break) is to ensure the longevity of this forum. (which besides being commercial free, is really what all of us want........the forum to be here for a long time to come!):thumbsup:

We all owe Steve so much because without this forum none of us would be friends and could have shared the wide variety of experiences that we have because of this forum! :claps::claps::claps:

Thank you so much Steve for your development and vision to make this place what it is today! Looking forward to seeing you at NASSIR 5!! :waving:

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
imported post

Thanks Steve, for starting and running this forum for so long! We hope you stick around and continue with your valuable insight.

Welcome, Marco.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
55,657 Posts
imported post

Thanks Steve, you've done a great job..........

·
Administrator
57,472 Posts
imported post

SabreJoe wrote:
Thanks Joe for the kudos about the staff members here.

After Marco and Steve outlined the benefits to our forum, I "signed on" as a staunch supporter of the new management/Marco.

Dual Servers coming online with a separate database to feed them? No way would donations ever have accomplished that.

Ensuring that the forum will live on even if Steve were forced to turn it off, or just became unable to keep it alive.... That is a huge benefit that just cannot be overlooked.

Marco has assured us (staff) that the forum will continue on as it is, that the look and feel will not change without community support from staff and members.

I just cannot see how it could be any better.

Thank you Marco and your organization. Looking forward to the forum's future.

And to you Steve, thank you for 13 years of devotion to developing something that turned into a community of friends. I don't quite know what I would do without this forum now, it is such a huge part of my daily life.

I have new friends from this group that have become so much closer to me than anything in my previous work or group associations. Don't know how to make it any plainer than that.

thank you all for putting up with me....

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the greatest Goldwing forum ever Marco. AZgl1500 put it better than I could have after my initial surprise reading Steve's announcement. I don't mind some changes, we did have a thread on this only a few weeks ago. This forum means so much to so many of us, and I personally can't imagine being without it.

Thank you Steve from the bottom of my heart for all you have given us. Your calm and reasonable way of dealing with things here are something I always admired, and I don't know how you had the patience for it at times. I hope you continue to participate in what you have created for us.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

You've done a great job and service to the Goldwing community. Enjoy that free time!

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Oh yeah. And the mana gets sent to who?

·
Premium Member
1,529 Posts
imported post

Steve and moderators, all of you have done an incredible job with this forum. Steve, I know you have put countless hours into this forum, few realize how much is involved. Well done.

1 - 20 of 180 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.