Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi All ..well at long last I finally got word from Honda America and from Honda Ireland concerning the American imported 1800 recalls ,,

Anybody who either privatly imported or bought an American spec 1800 through a Honda dealer Can now bring their bike to ANY honda dealer for inspection ,,

The dealers can replace the brake seal and the ECM unit (if it has not already been replaced ) they will also measure the weld on the frame and if it need to be rewelded ,it will be shipped to Belgium where a team from Honda America will carry out all the repairs ,if it does not need to be welded the dealer will carry out the other repairs on site and no shipping ,,

The one stipulation is that the Grey imports will be dealt with AFTER the offical imports are dealt with ,which I think is fair enough ,,

As far as I am aware this goes for ALL European countries where people have brought in private imports ,,,

So get down to your dealers and get your bike booked in ,,any problem ,tell them to contact Honda in Dublin ( applies to Ireland) and there wont be any problem

Cheers Ciaran

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

I got the phone call from Honda today. My 1800 goes up to Ballymount on Monday, to be crated and shipped to Belgium. My info is that the frames will be welded regardless of whether the existing weld is within spec or not. The fact is that the new template for measuring the weld is different to the one that was used in the last frame recall, ie the weld needs to be much thicker than what was acceptable previously. Common sense would suggest thatvery few (if any)of the welds will meet this new criteria and our machines will need welding.
Abouty the painting Vic, I've been told that an aerosol can will be used to paint over the weld. This won't do me so I will be brushing off the aerosol and applying etch primer with a spray gun, followed by the proper colour topcoat.
The PCV will be replaced by the dealer after the bike returns from the frame job.

It would be a good idea to take close-up photos of your machine in case of any dispute regarding possible damage in transit.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Thanks Steve, I would shudder at the thought of sending my Wing off to someone I don't know for critical repairs, but, it's got to be done else you mayhave it fail and suffer more serious consequences.

Hopefully, all will turn out well and you'll have your Wing returned safe and sound, but, it's shame they don't properly finish the repair or at least give you an allowance to get it done right.

Excellent idea on the pre shipping pics, because I have seen far too many shops cause damage and they simply deny that they caused it. I would even take it one step further and have them sign a document that states that there was no visible damage before theyshipped it.

Vic

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

wingnut wrote:
It would be a good idea to take close-up photos of your machine in case of any dispute regarding possible damage in transit.
Hey wingnut :waving:Make sure that one of the photo's include the reg.number of the :18red:

:coollep: :18red: :coollep:

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

As far as I am aware HONDA are photographing the bikes before they are shipped ,,so that no disputes will arise later with bits missing ,,, Some bikes have already been inspected and the frames passed the weld test ,,so they are getting the brake recall done here with the dealer ..Ciaran

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

Do like I did guys, the day you take the bike in lay a newspaper from that day on the seat and take a pic of the date on it for the first pic. Then take all the pics you think you will need. Again take the newspaper on the seat pic after the last pic in your series. This way you will have a dated record of the bikes shape. I did this in the dlrs parking lot about 15 minutes before I turned the bike over to them for the welding.

Ronnie-The Toolman :D

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

I got the phone call from Honda about my Goldwings recall. They wanted to collect it last Friday, but I opted to bring it up to Ballymount myself yesterday rather than be wingless over the weekend. It would have just sat in Honda doing nothing for the weekend anyway. When I got up to Honda yesterday morning, there were already six other 1800s there (three 04's and three 03's), some of which I recognized and all form different parts of the country. One was black, one titanium and the rest were red. This confirms the rumour that red is the fastest colour as they had all got to Hondafirst:p;), apart from mine. But then again I was never one forrushing along and at 3000 miles since new I'm still running it in!I was offered a loaner bike, but as it wasn't another Wing I wasn't interested. Ican just use my other bike while the Wing is away.The offer of a loaner is not a condition of the recall and Eric was probably in a good mood on Monday morning.
The recalled Wingsall looked rather sad at the indignity of it all, lined up and waiting to be dumped into a dirty container. :X

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

wingnut wrote:
I got the phone call from Honda about my Goldwings recall. When I got up to Honda yesterday morning, there were already six other 1800s there (three 04's and three 03's), some of which I recognized and all form different parts of the country. One was black, one titanium and the rest were red. This confirms the rumour that red is the fastest colour as they had all got to Hondafirst:p
The recalled Wingsall looked rather sad at the indignity of it all, lined up and waiting to be dumped into a dirty container. :X
Hey wingnut :waving: This post reads very sad and very disturbing. :crying:When any person spends the amount of money an :18red:costs the least we expect is that the article is built properly. :whip: Honda had plenty of time to get their act together but failed miserably. :whip: Red was the fastest colour this time, all for the wrong reasons. :crying:

:walker: :18red: :walker:

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Look on the bright side Redwing, at least they are doing these repairs before someone ends up being killed by a frame failure. It is a pity though, because the GL1800 is a great bike in theory and appearance, but, advanced technology was a little too swift in this case. Hopefully Honda will get it right very soon.

Steve, I feel for you my friend, because it would be very difficult for me to part with my Wing for even one night. I'll be praying they get your Wing back to you better than it was before, and, that you'll be completely satisfied with the whole experience.

Vic

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
imported post

Hi folks

Can someone please post some before and after photo's of the problem and repair, with maybe a brief explanation of the problem, Ihave no doubt I will be dealing my 1200 in one day for a 1800, being able to spot the problem or see its been done would be great.

Thanks

BB

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

I seen pictures of this on one of the gl1800 forums (not sure which one now) during the last recall. Have a look yourself and you should find them easily enough.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Hi Bart, have a look here and see if it helps you identify what has been done and what has to be done to verify that the frame repair has been performed;

http://www.gwrra-ok.org/oks/service/sb18.pdf

Still, it would be nice to see before and after pics of the actual repair on a GL1800.

Maybe someone here will post them once they have them in their possesion.

Vic

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

I got a letter yesterday. My 03 goes up to Honda next week. At least things are moving along now.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

I got word from honda ,,mine goes in after all the dealer imported ones are finished ,,In other words ,if you imported your bike privatley ,,you have to wait ,,still nice to know it will be inspected:waving:cheers Ciaran

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey what about my Honda 50. :stumped: I hope Honda wont forget that she wants some one to look at her and admire her as well.:whip:

:walker: :18red: :walker:

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

I am really concerned as to the position with my after market accessories on the bike. Will they have to come off to do the repair and if so will they go back on in the same condition they came off.

Take the boomerang covers for example. They are quite delicate and are stuck to the frame with double sided tape. They are easily distorted when being removed and are very easily scratched. Personally I am not happy about sending my bike anywhere in a crate over the summer and I am dubious that it will came back in the condition it went. The service notice gives info about what they have to take off but how careful will they be with the loads of expensive chrome bits you have added. I can see problems with bikes when they are returned with marks on these bits. I have taken close up photos of all mine as proff in the event of a problem.

It would have made sense for them to do this recall between November and February when most wings were in the garage under cover. It isn't as if they weren't aware of the problem. I still have heard nothing about a recall from my dealer and when asked he stated there is no recall on my bike at this time. :X

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Hi John ,,Honda in the UK seem to be ignoring the recall situation ,,I have had calls from several people in the UK concerning the recalls and they are getting no information from honda UK ,,My advice is to send Honda uk a registered letter ,stating your concerns regarding the frame and the brake recalls and because of their lack of concern for the riders of these 1800s that you will hold them responible for any injury caused to you or others if your frame or brakes fail ,,The recalls are worlwide and every other country in Europe have sent out letters to the owners ,,,,If they say your bike is not in the recall they are lying ,,all the 1800s have to be INSPECTED ,,But not all will need the work done ..cheers Ciaran

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
imported post

had my bike in for a service this week and the dealer has said they still have no official notice about the recall but they have been told by Honda UK it is on the way - they fully expect all recall notices to have been issued by the end of the first week in April. Not too bad going I suppose nearly 3 months after the original recall! The only reason the dealer knows that little bit was because i gave him copies of the recall notices and he rang Honda UK, if you want the number for Honda Aftersales UK it is 01753590510. THe woman I spoke to a couple of weeks ago is called Michelle and she said that all bikes regardless of being an import or not would be recalled providing the bike is on the DVLA database. Nothing was said about the US spec bikes being repaired after the UK ones. My understanding (and that of the dealer) is that they will strip the bike down and then be repaired in regional centres. The also reckon if it is like the last recall the bike will be away for a week!! I am off to Southern Ireland at the end of May with the Elite-Wings group so I think i will have some fiddling about to do.

There was also a small article in the MCN today about the fact that Honda is to release a range of recalls for various bikes for frames cracks and brake issues!! Honda are still being tight lipped about it and have not commented on it. Says it all really Honda UK do not do themselves any favours at all - and they wonder why w get pissed off with them - just some basic info would go down well instead of have to drag even the slightest thing out of them.

At least the weld job is to be done thats something I suppose!

rgds

Phil

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.