Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi out there.

Just wondering if it a problem importing your own bike, like from UK or from the States as all GW's from the States are "US Spec" I would think (all the gadgets like CB, Intercom etc.). I guess you have to pay duty and all sorts of taxes when you get it to Ireland? Is it worth it at all financially or am I better off buying a good second hand (or new) GW in Ireland??

Peter.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Lots of people have brought Wings in from the states and saved loads of cash, especially now that the dollar is very low against the Euro. A US specification Wing s usually much prefferred to a UK/Irish one anyway. A new 1800 in Ireland is about €26000 (about $32000). If you buy a new 1800 for $17000 in the USA, it will cost about $1000 to ship it here and another $2500 for customs. Thats a total of $20500 (about €17500). So go work that one out!

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

BRowan wrote:
Lots of people have brought Wings in from the states and saved loads of cash, especially now that the dollar is very low against the Euro. A US specification Wing s usually much prefferred to a UK/Irish one anyway. A new 1800 in Ireland is about €26000 (about $32000). If you buy a new 1800 for $17000 in the USA, it will cost about $1000 to ship it here and another $2500 for customs. Thats a total of $20500 (about €17500). So go work that one out!
Hi all :waving:

I have just imported a 2003 1800 from the states ,with all the bells and whistles and I hate to disagree with you on the duty etc ,but the VRT alone was 1720 euro and that was after I paid the import duties and VAT of 2700 euro plus the cost of the bike and the shipping ...But the good news is I saved a lot of money by going this route ,so if you need any info send me a PM and I will reply asap ..cheers Ciaran

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

pthomsen wrote:
Hi out there.

Just wondering if it a problem importing your own bike, like from UK or from the States as all GW's from the States are "US Spec" I would think (all the gadgets like CB, Intercom etc.). I guess you have to pay duty and all sorts of taxes when you get it to Ireland? Is it worth it at all financially or am I better off buying a good second hand (or new) GW in Ireland??

Peter.
Hi pthomsen, Welcome to the nest and I hope you enjoy the crack. :grinner: I bought my :18red:demo from Honda UK in '02. :clapper:I shopped around this little country of ours but could'nt find anything suitable. There were plenty of US imports but they were all non ABS so that was'nt for me. :stumped:All recent wings have intercom as standard and a CB can be fitted to them, :gunhead:if your into that. The USwing comes with a few differances, but they can all be fitted to the UK wing. I would'nt swap my UK:18red:for a US model. :leprechaun:

:jumper: :18red: :jumper:

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
The USwing comes with a few differances, but they can all be fitted to the UK wing.

The Honda CB can't be fitted to the UK GL1800. There isn't a button on the UK radio to select the CB and no wiring there either. So even if you managed to get a CB and the ptt switch and fitted them with the wiring, there would be no way of turning it on thru the bikes radio interface. Redwing is right about the other differences, with a bit of work they can be fitted.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Hi Ciaran

Thanks for the reply. Just out of quriosity, how much did you think you saved, in Euro, buying it in the states than here (not that I have seen any 2003 GW 1800 for sale)??

Thanks

Peter.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Hi Brian

Thanks for the reply.

Sounds good. I just checked the price on the web of "Capital" on Harolds Cross road and he has a new 1800 and it's € 27,999, plus 190 for getting it ready, so "on the street" (as we say in Denmark) you are talking almost € 28,200. Seems there is a lot to save importing your own and also it comes with everything as it is US spec I believe.

Thanks

Peter.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
imported post

pthomsen wrote:
Hi out there.

Peter.

Hi Peter

Looking down this road myself.

Ive just checked with good old customsand excise i n the IOM, they follow the same protocall as the uk.

If the bike costs 17,000 us Dollars,+1000 Dollars for transport

Duty payable is 6%

Value added tax 17.5%

This works out that the wing should cost about £12,507

Given that the book price for a wing in the uk is £17,000

a deal can bring it down to £16.000

Still a good saving if the $18000 is correct

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

You can buy a 2005 model wing in the states now for $15999 believe it or not..Ciaran

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

pthomsen wrote:
Hi Ciaran

Thanks for the reply. Just out of quriosity, how much did you think you saved, in Euro, buying it in the states than here (not that I have seen any 2003 GW 1800 for sale)??

Thanks

Peter.
About 30% on the price of one here ,,and my one came with Cb ,ABS and lots of chrome ...cheers Ciaran

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

pthomsen wrote:Seems there is a lot to save importing your own and also it comes with everything as it is US spec I believe.

They dont come with everything, :(you get the bare necessity, :?and you buy the rest with your hard earned money.:X The other drawback with the US model which no one mentioned is that they are all left hand drive. :grinner:

:18red: :walker:

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
pthomsen wrote:Seems there is a lot to save importing your own and also it comes with everything as it is US spec I believe.

They dont come with everything, :(you get the bare necessity, :?and you buy the rest with your hard earned money.:X The other drawback with the US model which no one mentioned is that they are all left hand drive. :grinner:

:18red: :walker:
And dont even think about an austrailan wing or you will be keeping the shiney bits down and the rubber bits up ..

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Hi Wexman

Where do you go on the US Sites for pricng, dealers or what?? If you have a URL /website in the US of somebodythat sell and export GW's ( and have all the pricing and info) could you please let me know??

Thanks

Peter.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

sending you all the info this evening to your e mail ..cheers Ciaran

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

wexman wrote:
sending you all the info this evening to your e mail ..cheers Ciaran
Hey wexman, :crying:that info should be posted here for all the other poor members who would like to import an :18red:from the US. :gunhead: There are two new US Spec:18red:for sale in Galway as posted by me yesterdayunder 1800 Prices update. I dont see any queue up for them at the moment. :grinner:

:waving: :18red: :waving:

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

I sent you all the info via pm ...cheers Ciaran:waving:

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

:)Hi im new and hope to get a goldwing can you send me advice about us dealer and importing

Thanks

Houston

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.