Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a friend in Dorchester who wants to purchase a new GL1800 in the USA and have it shipped to the UK. Does he have to pay the US sales taxes, and if anyone has done this he is in need of advice.

dean_3326 :12red::12red::12red::12red::12red::12red:

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
G

·
0 Posts
imported post

dean_3326 wrote:
I have a friend in Dorchester who wants to purchase a new GL1800 in the USA and have it shipped to the UK.
Hey dean_3326 :waving: Dont forget to tell your friend in Dorchester that all USA :18red:are left hand drive. :whip:

:walker: :18red: :walker:

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
dean_3326 wrote:
I have a friend in Dorchester who wants to purchase a new GL1800 in the USA and have it shipped to the UK.
Hey dean_3326 :waving: Dont forget to tell your friend in Dorchester that all USA :18red:are left hand drive. :whip:

Hey Redwing :waving:I will inform him so he can convertthe :18black:when it arrives. I doubt that he knows this unpublished information....Thanks.

dean_3326 :12red:

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Dean,

He will have to buy a new headlight that dips to the left, I think it's now a Uk legal requirment andtheimporteris responsible, or cheat and fit beam converters which is what my 1200 has and so far hasn't failed an MOT (annualvehical test)

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

JOHNO wrote:
He will have to buy a new headlight that dips to the left, I think it's now a Uk legal requirment andtheimporteris responsible.
Hey JOHNO :waving: I dont think that this is a problem on the :18red:When i dip the lights on my neighbours :18red:she dips straight down in front of the bike. :weightlifter:Maybe the US :18red:is set differently. The only concern that i would have with the US :18red:is the left hand drive. :whip:

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
imported post

Hi to all,

Two days ago I took my 1992 1500 Interstate that I have imported from Florida to be tested for the New Zealand roads. After several hiccups in the paperwork (I forgot to take the purchase receipt and bill of lading)he gave the bike a thorough test including removngthe brake pads and noting their make and number and then he calipered the thickness of the discs.All was going great until he came to the headlight when he announced therewas a problem in that it was dipping to the right.I managed to convince him it wasn't andand as he was a decent chaphe decided to let it go. I got the bike legal and thenspoke to a couple of G/wing owners who insist that there is only one headlight for that bike and that they dip straight up and down.Can anyone throw any light (sorry about the pun)on this please.By the way, this is my first bike for many years and I put a couple of hundred miles on over the weekend, all I have to say is,,wwwoooowwwwwww. ONCE I GET USED TO THE LEFT HAND DRIVE THERE WILL BE NO STOPPING ME.

Regards to all.

John S

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

cbhon wrote:
I spoke to a couple of G/wing owners who insist that there is only one headlight for that bike and that they dip straight up and down. ONCE I GET USED TO THE LEFT HAND DRIVE THERE WILL BE NO STOPPING ME.
Hey cbhon :waving: Just be careful with the left hand drive :stumped:untill you get used to it. The headlamp on the US wing may be different. :crying:These guys drive on the wrong side of the road so anything is possible. :whip:

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

All the GL1800 headlights are the same in that they are not sided. The headlight is set up in the factory for either left or right lean, you can adjust it back yourself. the only difference in the US headlight and the ones for Europe is the parking light bulb holdersinside the Euros (although I think from 2004 the headlights are identical inside).

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

if I remember right ,then, as long as the beam is flat as you say Redwing, then the headlight would be legal in the UK if the headlight was adjusted to the left. However any slight upwards slope of the beam on the right, with the bars straight,would be a failure. this can be cured legaly by strategic placing of some tape to straighten the beam!!!

Dean, I might see your friend around the bazzars, my parents live in Dorchester!!

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

JOHNO wrote:
Dean, I might see your friend around the bazzars, my parents live in Dorchester!!
Johno, That would be cool...Mario Tinge is his name. I will tell him to keep a lookout for you...He just sold his :15magenta: and is hunting a:18black: now...

dean_3326 :12red:

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Ok Dean I'll keep my eye out for an expectant man walking, or a happy chap riding, my bikes as my icon except the seat is now blue/grey and a little more chrome.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

JOHNO wrote:
Ok Dean I'll keep my eye out for an expectant man walking, or a happy chap riding, my bikes as my icon except the seat is now blue/grey and a little more chrome.
Johno, That is great, :) I will tell him to keep a heads up for you and your great looking machine....
:12red:

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

Some of the GL1800 headlamps have slightly differing internal reflector design. This is just fopr the extra parking lights on the likes of the UK bikes, the actual lights don't dip to left or right. They are adjusted in the factory for the market (left or right) and you can easily readjust them yourself if you buy an import.

I would have thought that buying a brand new USA 1800 and bringing it into the UK would need a type approval cert these days?

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
cbhon wrote:
I spoke to a couple of G/wing owners who insist that there is only one headlight for that bike and that they dip straight up and down. ONCE I GET USED TO THE LEFT HAND DRIVE THERE WILL BE NO STOPPING ME.
Hey cbhon :waving: Just be careful with the left hand drive :stumped:untill you get used to it. The headlamp on the US wing may be different. :crying:These guys drive on the wrong side of the road so anything is possible. :whip:

it's becausewe use the "right Side" of our brain to it's fullest potential, so we drive on the "right side"!:goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

gaswing wrote:
Some of the GL1800 headlamps have slightly differing internal reflector design. This is just fopr the extra parking lights on the likes of the UK bikes, the actual lights don't dip to left or right. They are adjusted in the factory for the market (left or right) and you can easily readjust them yourself if you buy an import.

I would have thought that buying a brand new USA 1800 and bringing it into the UK would need a type approval cert these days?
I think you are spot on with that ,,If the bike is new it will need a certificate of conformity for the European union ,,,And Honda in the UK wont be too puhed on getting you one as the bike will probably have to be tested ,,,Check it out before you buy ,,,This only affects importing a NEW bike or car from outside the EEC ..Ciaran

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
imported post

My 1800 was imported last year and had to undergo type import on arrival in the UK and I dont believe anything has changed since then. The one thing it will fail on is the front indicators on US spec bikes are always on - these need to be cut so they are only on when indicating. The top trunk brake lights are active on the US Spec bike and are perfectly okay on the type approval test.

Rgds

Phil

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Phil wrote:
My 1800 was imported last year. The top trunk brake lights are active on the US Spec bike and are perfectly okay on the type approval test.
Hey Phil :stumped: The top trunk brake lights are active on the Euro modelalso :stumped: but not the bottom pannier lights. :shakehead:I think youmeant to say that the tail and brake/lights on the U.S. Model are lit top andbottom.:clapper: It's important for the members to know that the Euro :18red:tail lights can be wired the same as the U.S. model. :weightlifter: The only item that cannot be changed on the U.S. model is the bloody left hand drive. :crying:

:santahat::18red::santahat:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.