Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi guys,

Am hoping to buy my 1st wing early in the new year. I have a brother living in texas who has sourced some clean examples for me 1991 - 1995 GL1500se's. I have got some info already as to how to import one from the states (VRT info - thanks wingnut). Has any member imported one before?. What other charges should I expect to pay as in purch price + shipping + vrt +???. Any help would be much appreciated.

Have a happy christmas & a peaceful new year:)

Medic

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

You won't have tp pay anything other than the small amount of VRT for a 1995 bike. I doubt if you will even have tp pay VAT on the purchase price either. I brought mine in from the UM and just had to pay VRT. wexman and some others brought wings in so he will probably update you when he reads this.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Hi ,sorry Willy ,you are wrong on that one ,,Any product motorcycle ,boat ,stereo .food etc coming in from a country from outside the EEC will have to pay eec importduty and vat on the product plus the shipping and then VRT ..I have covered this before on the board ,

Regarding a 1500 ,it is now as cheap to buy one here ,as the prices have dropped since the surge in the sales of the 1800
Make sure it is NOT an interstate model ,as they dont have reverse gear on them or cb radio
My advice is to shop around here first and compare the prices ,, here is an example ....19921500wing in the states it will cost you around $7000 then the shipping from Texas into Ireland will cost around $1500 add the 2 together =$8500

then you have 5% duty of that price =$8925

and then 21% vat of that total =$10800

then you have the VRT to pay ..you end up paying not far off the price of one here ..

the 1800 is a different story ,because they are so expensive here ,it is worth while to import one from the states ..

there are quiet a few excellent american spec 1500s here for sale, from members of the goldwing owners club of Ireland who are upgrading to 1800s,,So think about it before you go rushing out buying one in Texas ..:waving::waving:Ciaran

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey medic 1, :waving: Your very welcome to the forum and visit often. ;) Wexman has covered most of the problems re importing a :15white:from the USA. :jumper: I think this guy works for Revenue, :crying:he knows all about this bloody tax.:whip: Poor weewillywing was not going to charge you anything to bring the :15blue:into the country. :leprechaun: The only problemthat wexmanfailed to tell you is that all :15red:from the USA are left hand drive which you may not like. :whip: Seriously you should shoparound, especially at http://www.goldwingfacts.com/classifiedpage.htm The greatest benefit of this is that you can see what your buying. :clapper:Good luck with your shopping and merry xmas. :santahat:

:santawaving: :18red: :santawaving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It's easy to convert to right hand drive, just switch the front brake and clutch lines and cross your legs to get the brake and shift right!:action::cheeky1::cheeky1:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
It's easy to convert to right hand drive, just switch the front brake and clutch lines and cross your legs to get the brake and shift right!:action::cheeky1::cheeky1:
And then jump over the hedge. :grinner: :grinner: :grinner:

:santahat: :18red: :santahat:

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
imported post

Wexman - in general you are correct - however there is a way to legally avoid tax and import duty. It's called "Transfer of Residence" :D

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

wizard_of_odds wrote:
Wexman - in general you are correct - however there is a way to legally avoid tax and import duty. It's called "Transfer of Residence" :D

That sounds interesting. Could you tell us more? :shock:

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Yes there is a way ,,BUT and this is a major BUT ,,You have to be resident in the USA for at least 1 year and have the bike registered in your name for a minimum of six monthe ,you also have to show proof of insurance ,work visa and proof of bank accounts etc ,electric bills etc ,,also when and if you pass all of that criteria and you get the bike registered here ,there is a clause and it is printed on the paper work of the bike that it cannot be sold for a minimum of 1 year .....I have been down that road before and it is just not worth it ....Cheers Ciaran

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

wexman wrote:
Yes there is a way ,,BUT and this is a major BUT ,,You have to be resident in the USA for at least 1 year and have the bike registered in your name for a minimum of six monthe ,you also have to show proof of insurance ,work visa and proof of bank accounts etc ,electric bills etc ,,also when and if you pass all of that criteria and you get the bike registered here ,there is a clause and it is printed on the paper work of the bike that it cannot be sold for a minimum of 1 year .....I have been down that road before and it is just not worth it ....Cheers Ciaran
Most of this is correct but not all. :crying:You dont have to be resident in the USA for a year, :clapper:but you must be resident outside of theRep. of Ireland for one year and you can buy your :18red:wherever you get the best deal, register the :18red:in your own name for at least 6mths before your date of return, :jumper: and proof of employment. :weightlifter:You dont need proof of bank accounts, :whip:electris bills, :whip: insurance :whip: etc. I bought 2 cars abroad on seperate occasions, but not in the country that i was working in, had them shipped home and garaged and only used them when I returned home on holidays etcuntill my time expired abroad and then had them registered in Ireland. :skipping:You must retain thevehiclefor one year before it can be sold, which is not a problem in regard to an :18red:That wasmy experience of importing a new vehicle. :leprechaun:

:santahat: :18red: :santahat:

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

I was only giving the USA as an example ,,BUT you must live in the country where you have to register the bike ,,otherwise ,how do you register it ?I imported a car from france on a change of residence about 10 years ago and I was asked for ALL of the above ....And one of the things that I was asked for was the insurance and to prove I actually drove the car in france and was not trying to fool them ,,Maybe I just got a regimental customs officer ,but I know other people who had the same problems ,,so my advice is ..check with the customs Before you land in with your bike or car .:waving:..Ciaran

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
imported post

admittedly my son is an American citizen so it would be easier for me. However, I would have thought it could be easy enough to advertise in America for a US citizen being posted to the UK and cut a deal with him to transport a bike over and sell it to you. Note, this is all legal, I called the Customs & Excise and they were very helpful telling me how to avoid the duty etc. I'm sure if you started running it like a business you'd get a knock on he door but the odd bike every few years.......

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Lads,

Thanks for all the help & assistance so far. Hopefully this is all going to plan and I should be getting this bike sometime in the next 8wks. Ciaran, thanks for the pm on shipping. THey were very helpful. Have banged off an e-mail to the revenue(gestapo :)) to get the correct costings for this. Hopefully this year I'll make the treffen as an owner as opposed to a non goldwing owner visitor which I was in Limerick.;)

Austin

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Thats good news ,,but you dont have to wait for the treffen to come on a run ,,just keep an eye on the events page here and on the gwoci site ,and just turn up for a run ,you will be made most welcome ..cheers Ciaran

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Would there be any way a Dual National, RoI & USA, could help you in this?

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

medic1 wrote:
Ciaran, thanks for the pm on shipping. THey were very helpful. Have banged off an e-mail to the revenue(gestapo :))
Hey medic1, :waving:Good to see all is working out well for you. :clapper: The other thing you should know is that wexman is a member of the gestapo :whip: Thats how he knows all about the Tax :crying:

:grinner: :18red: :walker:

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Thanks Redwing. Wexman, you have my humblest apologies for insulting such a noble profession:(;). Just a little anxious to get the whole thing rolling.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

medic1 wrote:
Thanks Redwing. Wexman, you have my humblest apologies for insulting such a noble profession:(;). Just a little anxious to get the whole thing rolling.
Hi Medic1 ,,no need for apologies,I dont work for the gestapo,it is just that I have paid them so much money in the past that I feel like I own a share in them ,:),,cheers Ciaran:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Now all this has me thinking. My wife and I are both dual nationals, she Irish/Venezuelan and myself Irish/USA.

We are currently in the USA and will be while she completes her training. Later when we come to Ireland and bring our Aspy, then it would appear if Transfer of Residence is exactly what we need. Any ideas?

Also on driving permits, I am currently MC/Auto in Japan, MC/Auto in the states, and unlimited private/commercial in Venezuela. My wife is Private Venezuela and also Auto USA. Is there any license reciprocity in the Republic? Or do we stand the queue and test as the rest?

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Hi ,yes if you are transfering residence you can bring your car and bike into Ireland free of charge ,,,on the other question of driving licence ,,As far as I am aware if you are coming here for more than a holiday ,you will need to retest ,,The insurance companies dont accept a lot of non european community licences ..but you can check that out when you get here ,,

Why not buy an 1800 now ,and bring it in as well ,,you would save a huge amount of money ..cheers Ciaran:waving:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.