Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Looking to buy a Goldwing 1200 aspencade. I live in France. As exchange rates are good at present, much better deal to buy one in the UK and bring over.

Does anyone know if the headlight would needto be changed altogether as drive the other side,( rather expensive i would think )or can you just adjust the beam ?

Thanks for any help.

James

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

James,

The 1200 has a flat beam, no dip. Therefore, should be no problem, but you know what the crats are like.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

As GM has already said, no problem on the headlight, but you would need to do your research carefully James as I think there are fairly strict regulations in place these days regarding imports around Europe and the bike may require a test, like our SVA one here for imported vehicles.

Wexy might be the best one to answer this as he is more clued up than most of us on importation regulations.

:waving:

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks very much for the replies. Will have to try and find out more , if it's really that much hassle won't bother. It's a difficult one though. For about € 3000 can get an 1200 Asp in the uk. Here in good old France, you are looking at nearer € 4500 to € 5000. Just seems too expensive, but don't know what else to do.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

has already said, no problem on the headlight, but you would need to adjust the tail lamp

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

If the bike is an American spec wing ,then you cannot import it into France,However if it is a European spec ,then you will need to contact Honda UK to get a certificate of conformity IN FRENCH ,

It is a paperwork nightmare to get any thing registered in France .. been there ,done that and ate the tee shirt from frustration.

You would be better off leaving it on UK plates . Ciaran

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks for the info Wexy. I keep hearing that it is a total nightmare and each region of France is different. One area much easier than another etc.
I think after hearing all this i will end up buying here in France, it's just going to cost me that much more, and have got to find one ?
Everything i've seen so far is always miles away.
James

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Just seen lovely Goldwing 1500 se 1993 in uk. Dealer tells me lovely but it's USA spec with european headlight.€ 5000. Bargain .That gets me a Goldwing 1200 1985 here in France.
Is there no way of importing this at all ? If not why not ? Help.
Just doesn't seem fair.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

james,

are you an ex pat and do you still have a registeed address in the UK somewhere, if so I see no reason that you couldn't keep the bike registered on UK plates, even if you had to pop back to the UK occasionally to keep things legal and on UK plates?

If you don't have a UK base address but do still ride on a UK licence, how about just registering it at a friends house?

Just some thoughts:waving:

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks Silverfox, had wondered about that.
My official address is in France and i have a french driving license. But all my family are still in UK, could easily use their addres in UK with my name.
Don't know if that's still legal or not ?

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

James S wrote:
Thanks Silverfox, had wondered about that.
My official address is in France and i have a french driving license. But all my family are still in UK, could easily use their addres in UK with my name.
Don't know if that's still legal or not ?
Not sure on that one James, but you could just try putting it to the test. :)

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,641 Posts
imported post

Were it me, I would tag it in the UK at your family's address.

After all, if there should ever be any reason for someone to contact you, they will mail that correspondence to the titled address.

Once that happens, and it probably never will, your family will forward the letter on to you and everything will be just fine.

If on the happenstance, you should ever need to show proof of ownership, you got it. why is it registered in the UK? Because that is where you keep it during winters because you don't have proper storage in bad weather.

You see, I've been down that road many times in my life already. I've got a car registered in Indiana in my garage right now. Am I going to rush out and buy a new registration in Arizona and waste two years of prepaid tags?

Not on your booties...

Done it before when moving back and forth between Oklahoma and Texas to New Mexico, back to Oklahoma, and up to Utah, and back to Oklahoma, and back to Texas, and.... I never changed the tags, I just renewed them by mail.

All that time the registration address was at my parent's home. They would forward me the renewal slip, and I mailed it in. Tags showed up in Oklahoma and mom mailed them to me. Tada!

Oklahoma tags then for my truck were $27.00, in the other states, I would have been retitling the truck a couple of times a year, or in one case, having to pay a title fee of over $350.00

Some states go by weight (Oklahoma back then) or by value as here in Arizona. $20,000 times 8.75% just to register it here when it has good plates? Don't think so.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Well i think you said it all there, and i think you are probably right. I think i will end up going down that route.
Presently have around € 5000 to spend.
France, Goldwing 1200 Aspencade, 1985 ish. OR
UK , Goldwing 1500 SE , 1992 ish.
Just seems mad at present, France very expensive for bikes, plus the exchange rate very good back to pounds.
I would have like to have changed it all over but the more i read it seems abit of a nightmare to import here with loads of forms and red tape etc.
Have also owned 2 1200 in the past and would like a change to 1500. Also a little worried if get 1200, parts seem to be getting more diificult to find.
Can only really afford a 1500 if buy in UK, so i think that's my next hols there.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
imported post

ok
buy in uk, won't insurance need to be in uk ?
road tax and mot also in uk, rules in uk for foreign cars are I think you're only allowed so long and then have to register vehicle in country of residence, might want to ask dvla (in UK) and french equivalent.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

I think your right Phil.
No problem with insurance, did my car here for over a year until sold it. Visit family regularly so can do MOT and tax.
But think you have a year to change it. Not sure how they know ? as i have friends here who have kept car on english plates and french insurance, for 2 or 3 years and more.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

James S wrote:
I think your right Phil.
No problem with insurance, did my car here for over a year until sold it. Visit family regularly so can do MOT and tax.
But think you have a year to change it. Not sure how they know ? as i have friends here who have kept car on english plates and french insurance, for 2 or 3 years and more.
Might be worth just buying one here and taking the "suck it and see" approach,I doubt they would bother you none.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Silver fox i think i'm coming to that conclusion as well. The only thing that would change it all is if the exchange rate starts to go worse € to £. ?

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

James S wrote:
Silver fox i think i'm coming to that conclusion as well. The only thing that would change it all is if the exchange rate starts to go worse € to £. ?
That of course would require a crystal ball to know, but it is pretty much in your favour at the present, so may just be worth going for it and exchange rates be damned.

Can't see ferry prices rocketing so to pop back here to keep it legally British should be no great issue.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.