Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have gone through previous postings about importing Wings, but I'd like to specifically hear from any Canadians who have imported a Wing from the USA. Based on the prices that I'm seeing in the US, and given the MSRP in Canada, it seems like it would make a lot of sense to buy in the States. Am I missing something??

I'd like to hear about your experience and outcome, financially and otherwise.

Thanks.

Cam

[email protected]

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet Cam Stableford:waving::waving:

Can't help you with your question but wanted to say welcome!

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Cam Stableford,

Welcome to the Very Best Goldwing Site on the internet.

I don't know the going price for Wings in Canada but I was at a local shop today looking at them and the prices are very attractive

They had a white 05 on sale for $17,200.00, a silver 05 on sale for $16,800.00 and a gray 05 ABS on sale for $18,500.00. Don't know how those prices compare to the prices up there. Also, don't know what type of import fees/taxes that you would have to pay to get it into Canada.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

For a 2005 ABS equipped the price at DirectLine is $16,459. See http://hondadirectline.com/price.htm

With today's exchange rate this is $19,469 in Canadian Dollars. After paying our sales and other taxes, the total in Canadian Dollars would come to $22,389. The Canadian MSRP is $26,999. Either I'm missing something, or it is indeed a very good idea to purchase my bike from a US Dealer and go through the import process. Thereare no import duties on motorcycles that I can determine, but there is about $200 for filing with the Import Vehicles office, and likely costs incurred for picking up the bike.

Slap me silly if I've missed the big fly in the ointment, but this looks like an $8,000 savings to me!!

BTW, on a personal note ... I've had 6 bikes in total, starting out with my great 1966 Honda 90 Super Sport, ending with a GL1100 and 1984 GL1200 which I parted company with about 10 years ago (used the money to go over to the airport and got my pilots licence). Was also amember of GWRRA for a time. Flying an aircraft has become simply unaffordable, so it's time to "change my wings back" and have been researching the GL1800 as a result ... hence the posting, questions, etc.

Thanks for your assistance.

Cam

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Minor detail I know, but I have a beautiful Canadian import 1500, but it has KPH instead of MPH. You would be going the other way. If you do go for one and need to change I would be happy to swap for an MPH clock!! :baffled::goofygrin:

Pete

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
imported post

I last fall imported a 88-1500 to Canada.Being 15 years old there was no duty on the bike.I communicated with one of his friends and he and i did the dealing.I think it was worth my time and expense. I paid $8750.oo in canadian funds license, tax, on the road.You will have to pay hstat the border7% then when you go to get the registration changed you will pay the other 8% only.

By the way Silverfox my bike reads MPH i would like KPH but how big a job is it to change the speedos.And what would it cost to mail.

It could be a winter project. We get snow here how about you.

Dman :clapper: :action: :clapper:

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

My bike is from Seattle and this is what has to be done

If over 15 yrs old there is no duty or inspection required Make an appointment with US customs to get exit paper work no appointment necessary for Cdn just pay the taxes (as usual) and take it home It's difficult to register here with out the bike so twist the guys arm (PO) so you can get it home by using his plate Then go to DMV and register in your name (pay more tax) over to your insurance co if not gov and you are done.

If Bike is less than 15 years old almost the same except it requires an inspection from a certified inspection station before being able to register. GO figure; here in BC it's Canadian Tire What they know about inspecting bikes is beyond me but that's government at work.

As for a brand new bike the way I understand it there is so many hoops it is better to go thru a import broker than attempting to do it your self (hey if you can afford a new wing you can spend the few hundred they will charge and avoid the hassle). And I forgot Cdn dealers usually don't do any warranty work on US bikes (as stated below)

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Dman wrote:
By the way Silverfox my bike reads MPH i would like KPH but how big a job is it to change the speedos.And what would it cost to mail.

It could be a winter project. We get snow here how about you.

Dman :clapper: :action: :clapper:
Hi Dman, not sure how much work is required, not too much I guess and i am sure with the manuals and help from the Gurus on here, it wouldn't be too hard a job.

It would have to be a winter project i agree, although our snow fall usually consists of 1" around about Feb/ March time, brings the whole country to a slippery halt, then melts a day or so later!! 20 million households have a sledge in the loft which gets used for about 1 hr every 10 years:goofygrin:

I am not sure how the mileometer would work out between us, mine is a '98 model and has only covered 30,000km. As for cost, I have had a few things shipped back and forth and it would probably be around £20-25 at a guess, which equates to around 40$ US, (sorry, don't know $CDN rate)

Worth considering though, especially as i can't see the MPH which is in little numbers, too small for my eyesight.

Pete

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I think I've found at least one "fly in the oinment" .... Canadian dealers do not honor the warranty of new US bikes (or so I'm told) .... therefore, I suppose that you'd pretty much have to live in a border townso the bike could go to the nearest US dealership for warranty work ....

Cam

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.