Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've seen some GL1100's that had nice OEM 2-tone saddles. Some GL1200 & 1500s had nice enough single color saddles, but most Wings after the 1100 are just plain old gray or black.

The seat on a motorcycle is one of the first things to catch the eye of people looking at it. For all the talk about how Honda put a lot of research into getting Goldwing saddles right over the years, WTH didn't they make them look more appealing? How much extra would it cost to have 2-tone material, a couple of bucks extra per bike?

Come on Honda, put some effort into the way the saddle looks on your flagship motorcycle.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

If they use the idea I'm sure it will be a $500.00 option:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
4,211 Posts
imported post

YAAAAH . . . . I'd say cost also.

Besides, it's a personaltaste item everyone has.
Some 2 tone brown, others tri-tone purple.
Can never satisfy everyone.
Besides black or gray is a base color that goes with any color on a bike.

:action:

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Zeke makes a good point. Plain black or gray lets the whole bike down. It can't cost a lot more to have a two-tone saddle, or even some colored piping like we see on high end car seats. The GL1800 saddle is huge and would look real good with the inlay sections colored to the bikes main color.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

I'm shure you can buy a custom seat with the color and inlays you like for less than it would cost for the option from honda!
Wilf

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
imported post

Agreed on the GL1100, some of them had very nice 2 tone upholstery. One of my riding buddies has a nice 2 tone brown Aspencade and the OEM saddle is matched to the bikes color. It really stands out from the rest of the Wings when parked up.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

The '80-'83 Interstates are my favorite Goldwings, and for good reason. They just oozed class. From their 19" front wheels, to their non integrated fairing/tank, two tone seats, chrome parts, and hand painted pinstriping, they were just beautiful machines. I especially like the burgundy with gold emblems and pinstriping. I have a picture I believe I got from this forum, of such a bike sitting next to a blue/gray 1500. The looks of the 1100 were absolutely stunning compared to the dull boring 1500.

It's not just motorcycles though, cars went down the same road. Remember the big chrome cars of the '50s and '60s, with two tone paint and swoopy lines? Remember big chrome bumpers and whitewall tires? Even in the '70s, remember RWL and whitewall tires, 2 door luxury cars with vinyl landau roofs and opera windows, with long hoods, like the Monte Carlo, Grand Prix, Thunderbird and Lincoln Continental Mark V? Those cars had class. Todays cars don't, and most of todays bikes don't either. They have become bland and boring. The classiest looking Japanese bikes are mostly Harley copies. You can still get them with leather seats with studs, lots of chrome, wire spoked wheels, whitewall tires, and deep metallic paint with pinstriping. Sportbikes are just drop dead ugly to me, and Honda seems to have turned the Goldwing into a huge sportbike. I almost bought a Valkyrie Interstate when they first came out, but just couldn't handle the price.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

Speaking of the saddle, at least have an option for the tall folk. I feel like I'm already spending a huge chunk of change for the bike, and to need a $1,500(ish) seat on top of it just so I'm moved back far enough to comfortably access the pedals hurts a bit.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

Does not the 2012 kind of have a 2 tone seat, with the new seat material they are using?:?

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

IdahoRaider wrote:
Does not the 2012 kind of have a 2 tone seat, with the new seat material they are using?:? 
The couple I've seen had plain dark gray, similar to the older model. Shame really, a two tone saddle would have worked well with the to tone paintwork.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
imported post

you can buy spray paint that is made for vinyl or leather,it works real good.my friend had a red seat on his bmw and its now grey,

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
imported post

I would most definitely have to agree to a two tone seat. I never really like the drab gray seats and black is somewhat warn to sit on in August and September. Would love to have a two tone color matched Corbin. But if it is true to what they say that money talks? Then I must be speechless.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Goldwing saddles are a sore point with me, to match by sore bottom. ;)

I read many times in Goldwing books and on forums that Honda put a lot of R&D into Goldwing saddles. But after 35 years and umpteen Goldwing model variations they still can't get it right. If Honda can make car seats suitable for everyones build and weight, why can't they get it right for all kinds of Goldwing riders?

Some of the deficiencies are glaringly obvious, like the pillion space on the GL1800 and especially the GL1500. The back rest is too narrow because of those darned speaker pods. Surely the speakers can be built into a wider backrest, and the bottom area of the saddle made wider to match? Harley Davidson cracked this with some of their touring bikes, but Honda still can't do it.
Also they still waste a lot of space where the Goldwing trunk and saddlebags meet. It can't take a genius to tuck them up more and give more internal room for storage?

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
My 1995 Interstate is for the most part pretty utilitarian. I am pretty fortunate to be of the right size/build where I find the stock configuration and the looks.....well, fine. I can't fix what ain't broke!

As for my wife, she is of small build, and even after adding a backrest for myself (not pictured), she still thinks she's riding on a throne, and I don't tell her otherwise!!! After 29 years, one learns when to keep his mouth shut!

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
I've seen some GL1100's that had nice OEM 2-tone saddles. Some GL1200 & 1500s had nice enough single color saddles, but most Wings after the 1100 are just plain old gray or black.

The seat on a motorcycle is one of the first things to catch the eye of people looking at it. For all the talk about how Honda put a lot of research into getting Goldwing saddles right over the years, WTH didn't they make them look more appealing? How much extra would it cost to have 2-tone material, a couple of bucks extra per bike?

Come on Honda, put some effort into the way the saddle looks on your flagship motorcycle.
They still haven't mastered building a halfway decent comfortable seat.I think they need to concetrate on that first and then make it look classy after.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.